7.4V vs 11.1V Lipo?

Shaddow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have had confirmation form ARES that the AM-013 can handle 11.1V lipo safely. I plan to get an 11.1V lipo to use with the rifle now that I also have the batter pack extension that clips onto the back allowing for longer batteries to be used.

My question is now, what is better, a higher capacity 7.4v or a lower capacity 11.1v?

I currently run a 1300mAh 7.4 lipo and seems most 11.1v of a reasonable size are around 1000mAh or equal at 1300mAh.

I know the capacity is important, but what impact will it make swapping from a 7.4 to an 11.1? (Assuming discharge is the same at around 30C)

Also, can any damage occur to the gearbox etc if a much higher discharge capacity battery is used? (60C+), or will the motor just draw what it want and any extra will just not be used?

Thanks

• Supporters

Higher voltage means the motor will spin faster, gearbox will wear faster, trigger contacts may burn out (if there's no mosfet fitted).

Although none of it is likely to happen overnight unless your gearbox is actually crap in which case it will happen very quickly.

Thanks. Its an ARES AM-013, so comes with electronic trigger. No worry on burning out contacts.

As for capacity, guess its still best to have higher capacity. My play style is more single or 3 short burst, very rarely play at full auto, so if my logic is correct, I would benefit more from a higher capacity 7.4 compared to a lower capacity 11.1 if I wanted the battery to last as long as possible? (Or is my logic wrong?)

I use this battery on my AM-013.

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/11-1v-1600mah-25c-continuous-discharge-lipo-airsoft-battery.html

It will only fit if you have the extension box but works fine and will last a full day for most people. Iv'e been running 11.1v for a long time with no issues providing the trigger contacts are protected by using a mosfet. Rate of fire is increased when using the 11.1v over the 7.5v due to higher voltage spinning the motor at higher rpm.

Capacity of batteries my experience is about 1.5x mag in round count, so 1000mah = 1500 rounds or so. I have never actually run a lipo to nothing but there isn't normally much concern with a 1000mah battery and if you do don't carry more than 1500 rounds and you'll be fine.

The 11.1 V will give better trigger response and higher rate of fire for additional ware but there is another consideration. Some guns with the spring power we have here in the UK (typically max 350 fps) don't work properly with 11.1V lipos, they over spin and double shoot. My Krytac SPR for example has insanely awesome ROF with an 11.1V lipo but its unusable because it double shoots in semi irregularly and this is actually quite common of high end motors driven by 11.1V. My (ex) G&G 416 burnt out its mosfet on an 11.1V lipo, it simply couldn't handle it at all despite it saying on the box that it was designed for it.

7.4V is the safer choice, if its your first gun and battery that is what I would choose.

11.1v LiPo will wear everything in the gearbox out 1/3rd faster than a 7.4v LiPo but some AEGs are better designed than others so can resist wear... they will however still wear out 1/3rd faster on an 11.1v than on a 7.4v.
The capacity is also important, do you want to have to change battery at lunchtime? I find a 1450mAh 11.1v LiPo will last me just about all day BUT, it will be flat by end of play which is bad for Lipos so i have 2 and swap them at lunchtime which seems to work fine. I also have a 2600mAh 11.1v LiPo but it don't fit in my gun, if it did I'd just use that as changing batteries sucks. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Battery capacity is critical in understanding how they work, it matters as much as the discharge rate ©.

Before I go in to that though, I'll just mention that the Ares guns have questionable quality control on their bearings.
I'd recommend swapping them out for bushings if you plan on running an 11.1v LiPo.

So a battery gives us two things, Voltage and Current.
The Voltage a battery gives is listed on it usually but is the Nominal rating.
This is essentially the Voltage at which the battery spends most of it's time closest to, kinda like the middle Voltage.
A fully charged 7.4v LiPo will actually hold 8.4v and an 11.1v will hold 12.6v when full.

The Current a battery can provide is slightly trickier to work out.
Batteries are stress tested at the factory, which gives the manufacturer an idea the power any given battery can safely provide before it starts degrading.
This is listed as the 'C' rating and is the number of Amps it can provide per 1000mAh of capacity.

So if you have a 2000mAh 20C battery, it can provide 10 Amps for each 1000mAh, 10 x 2 = 40Amps :)
Another common configuration is 1200mAh 50C, which would provide 60 Amps.

Most airsoft guns draw a spike of around 30-35Amps on semi and around 15-20Amps on full auto.
As long as your battery can provide that, all is good.

If your battery can't provide that, it starts damaging the battery.
If it's a LiPo, that's when they get hot and start to well.

The motor will only draw the Current it needs to operate where it wants to operate (it's tacticool like that), so it's better to have more on offer than not enough.

Hopefully that helps you a bit :)

11.1v LiPo will wear everything in the gearbox out 1/3rd faster than a 7.4v LiPo but some AEGs are better designed than others so can resist wear... they will however still wear out 1/3rd faster on an 11.1v than on a 7.4v.

The capacity is also important, do you want to have to change battery at lunchtime? I find a 1450mAh 11.1v LiPo will last me just about all day BUT, it will be flat by end of play which is bad for Lipos so i have 2 and swap them at lunchtime which seems to work fine. I also have a 2600mAh 11.1v LiPo but it don't fit in my gun, if it did I'd just use that as changing batteries sucks. lol

So would gund like my asg evo wear down quicker using an 11.1 lipo even thought its built for one specificly? Or should i think about downgrading it to a lower volt one?

Using an 11.1 1600 25c lipo atm. Didnt really understand them but the guy in the shop suggested it at the time of purchase

• Supporters

So would gund like my asg evo wear down quicker using an 11.1 lipo even thought its built for one specificly? Or should i think about downgrading it to a lower volt one?

Using an 11.1 1600 25c lipo atm. Didnt really understand them but the guy in the shop suggested it at the time of purchase

Stick with the 11.1v in the evo. Its designed for it.

Yup, the Evo was specifically designed for them, running it on a 7.4v will wear it less but it was designed for 11.1v, it would be like removing the Cosworth engine from an XR4x4 and fitting a 1.4l from a Popular Plus.

Yup, the Evo was specifically designed for them, running it on a 7.4v will wear it less but it was designed for 11.1v, it would be like removing the Cosworth engine from an XR4x4 and fitting a 1.4l from a Popular Plus.

XR4X4 and XR4i were both V6 engines nothing to do with Cosworth but I get what your trying to say lol

The Evo is only 'designed' for an 11.1v LiPo in as much as it has a high TPA motor.

That's literally it.

You could install an AAC 30K motor and run it on a 7.4v LiPo to get much the same performance but put less stress on the FETs.
The motor would also last longer :)

Archived