Interested in airsoft - currently no experience

Wolfy94

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello Forum,

I have been interested in airsoft for quite a while now (2-3 years), and now would like to participate and actively join this sport for a hobby to pursue. I have a couple of questions and queries that I cannot seem to get a definite answer whilst spending a good part of my day researching into how to become a licensed airsofter.

From watching YouTube videos I keep dreaming of the 'end-game' scenario with my dream gun etc, however I need some details on the earlier stages such as how to get licensed, what ammo to use, FPS restrictions and that sort of thing.

1) Am I right in thinking I can operate an airsoft rifle without the UKARA license?

2) Whilst watching YouTube someone commented saying 8mm pellets are illegal to fire in the UK? Is this correct?

3) How hard is it to buy a gun from the US and get it imported (excluding all the prices for transport and everything else involved) - is it as complicated as people make out to be?

My dream end goal is to be involved in one of the HUGE airsoft events that span over days with vehicular warfare and the like, dressed as a bush wookie with my friend (he is also interested), but like I said I need to know the baby steps before I can run :(

Feel free to ask me any questions regarding this post or even just general questions to get to know me :D

Wolfy out!

• Root Admin

Welcome to the forums.

1) A common misconception is to call UKARA a 'licence' - there is no such thing is a licence to play with (or own) an RIF, despite the frequent use of this word on Facebook and in other places. Instead what we have is the VCRA and what is referred to as a 'valid defence' for purchasing an airsoft gun. I understand that this may be confusing initially.

Basically, the Violent Crimes Reduction Act stipulates purchase of any realistic looking gun (a Realistic Imitation Firearm - RIF) is illegal without a defence for owning one. The issue is this is a very grey area as a 'defence' can be anything and is not properly discussed in the VCRA - rather, an example is given in the form of UKARA (United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association) as to what a defence could be. Again, it is important to remember that UKARA membership is not the be all and end all of a valid defence for RIF.

A seller of an RIF must ask for proof that you have a legitimate reason to purchase the gun. For almost all online retailers in the UK, this is in the form of a UKARA membership number as it's the easiest way of verifying someone is a player. Many shops however won't ask for a valid defence - this is frequently illegal. Either way, the responsibility to make sure the buyer has a valid defence is on the seller (not the buyer) - this is why online retailers are careful as they obviously don't want to be prosecuted under VCRA. Again, VCRA only covers the purchase and manufacture of an RIF not operation or ownership.

Pretty much all questions regarding VCRA, valid defences and UKARA have already been asked - you can almost always find the answer you're looking for in this forum: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/forum/12-uk-law/ it's worth a read to dispel some of the myths you'll find in Youtube videos and in social media.

In practice what this means for you is that you'll probably need UKARA membership to buy an RIF. I'll cover this in a bit.

2) Nonsense.

3) Without a UKARA number UK customs will destroy your gun most likely. I have not known of anyone able to provide a defence for the purchase in any other way to have it released as currently Border Force and HMRC only really seem to accept UKARA as a valid defence. This is probably out of ease though as it's not the law. Besides, we have just as good (if not better) selection in airsoft guns as the US in my opinion. A lot of their unique brands brands over there are simple re-brands of ones you can already buy here or just plain rubbish. if you want to import something exotic then you need to look east not west.

Basically man, just go to some games/skirmishes. Sites are set up to provide rental weapons to new players and would be more than happy to accommodate. Find one near you and go - it'll be maybe £45-55 for the day if you include the rental, entry fee and some BBs. UKARA membership requires one to attend 3 games in a period of no less than 2 months between the first and last game and for you to be over the age of 18. You need to print the UKARA registration form and take it with you - they will stamp it each time you attend and on the third you can register with a retailer and get your number. You may use an RIF that you've rented from a site or borrowed or been gifted from a friend. Again, VCRA only covers the purchase of an RIF - ownership and operation is fine.

The alternative is an IF (Imitation Firearm). This is a gun that's 51% brightly painted (commonly referred to as '2-tone') - you still need to be over 18 and most would not recommend wasting your money on an IF. Wait until you get UKARA and then buy something.

Thanks for the reply,

The reason I ask questions 2/3 is because when I finally registered and able to buy a RIF (i believe that's the correct term), I am aiming to buy a M200 Cheytac rifle with ejecting shells however the model shoots 8mm pellets and I can't seem to find a UK based airsoft store that sells that desired gun.

3) Without a UKARA number UK customs will destroy your weapon most likely. I have not known of anyone able to provide a defence for the purchase in any other way to have it released as currently Border Force and HMRC only really seem to accept UKARA as a valid defence. This is probably out of ease though as it's not the law.

Does this mean as long as I have a UKARA number in theory I should be able to buy a gun abroad and it not be destroyed?

Wolfy out!

• Root Admin

Don't bother with that M200. Sniper rifles are always a bad decision for a first gun and shell ejecting ones will be completely outmatched by your VSRs and L96s - it is a very regular mistake to make as a new player so don't worry. Airsoft sniper rifles are not commonly ready to skirmish out of the box and you will not have a good day if you take that thing onto the field so soon after obtaining your UKARA number.

Also, sniping in airsoft is very different to what you may see in the videos where everything is cut and edited. You need to know the site you're playing at inside and out, a lot of the time you need decent camouflage and you need to be able to move between many spots and then be very patient whilst you wait for something to shoot. The best way to work this out for yourself is to go along - you'll see what I mean immediately even if you're not behind the sniper rifle yourself. You may think it's for you, but I implore you to keep an open mind on this one for now.

All that aside, as sniper rifles go I must say lugging that M200 around is probably not going to be fun at all. There's no need for something so big and the novelty may wear off quickly - check out the VSRs, M40s and AWSs as they're much lighter.

Yes, if you have a UKARA number you can have a gun imported and passed through Border Force and customs with no issues except for a lovely 20% VAT plus some import tax. They may test the FPS/do a velocity test. I am not sure of the limits on either of these, but I'd imagine it's somewhere in the region of 450fps on a .20g or 1.88J if it's bolt action. Someone else will probably answer this.

Again thanks for the response :)

The m200 will be an end-game goal to reach - of course I will buy 1 or 2 varied weapons before I reach that goal, as well as getting the materials together to be able to travel around to larger playing areas be that abroad or not. I realize the pro's and con's to the m200 and I appreciate any advice thrown my way - so any more advice you may have, splash it on me!

Thanks for clarifying my questions - really appreciate not feeling so clueless

Wolfy out!

• Root Admin

You're welcome. You'll have plenty of time to think about it and make sure you come to the right decision on the M200.

As far as starter guns go, many would recommend the G&G CM16. Only £150 as a package and very tough - worth a look for when you get that UKARA sorted. Again though, you'll be able to form your own opinions from seeing others people's stuff up close and having handled some of the sites rental equipment or trying out others (people are generally more than happy to let you have a go with their stuff).

good luck with the 8mm cheytac... you'll find people with £130 combat machines are firing further and more accurately.

8mm sadly is just not very effective.

Is that the case? I heard that upgrading it with a CO2 bolt increases its efficiency by a fair margin - I will have to look into it.

One quick question - if a gun model states that it fires 8mm pellets, it is not compatible to shoot any other pellet sizes such as the 6mm? Sorry if this seems like a no brainer.

Wolfy out!

• Supporters

yeah, it'd be like putting a 5.56 bullet in a 7.62 rifle... just don't work!

adding in a CO2 bolt will improve the efficiency over it's stock state... but 8mm is hamstringed by weight, a 0.2g 8mm BB suffers from drag a LOT more than a 6mm one and you've still gotta pass chrono.

• Supporters

Welcome sir......

I do wish all new members signing up are forced or reminded about all the fantastic guides already in the new players section

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/12854-new-player-guides-info/

Ian's guide should be compulsory before completing the registration - no offense to experienced new members

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/17294-ians-guide-to-noobism-on-a-tight-budget/

There is a goldmine of info there all written by people taking time out to pass on a wealth of wisdom

often updated and true honest advice given for free by members with far more experience than I will ever have

No offense to anybody but 99.99999% of questions are already there

and trying to get around any ukara loopholes is risky and pointless - plus it kinda undermines and threatens the sport in this country

yes it is a friggin' toy gun - I'm the first to shout this from the rooftops

but as it is a very very realistic looking gun and in the recent security measures

it is even more important we all conduct ourselves responsibly in accordance to ukara & vcra act

(yes some of it may not perfect crystal clear sense in places but we go with it all or face the wrath of sect 6 paragraph 4 etc....)

the saying "Don't be dick" has never been more important for ALL AIRSOFTER's

so please forget trying to sneakily obtain a RIF

Join a saddo toy gun club, if u18 & no defense ask an adult to purchase or gift you a 2-tone - ahem cover/customise it as you wish

but have a defense of some sort and act responsibly with your toy gun is the really important bit - whatever colour it is

This ain't a pop at you or anybody else - but a lot of info is already out there of what you can/can't do in this country

And even if you managed to get a RIF from US into this place - very often you get screwed for tax/duty

in which case they will have opened it and found whats inside if not x-ray'd so you won't be getting it delivered anyway

Try to stay within our ukara guidelines to keep this sport safe and please the looney left politicians that seek to ban it like Australia has done

It is probably best to avoid 8mm bb's. The issue is simply that everything is standardised for 6mm so you will have issues getting ammo, sites will have trouble working out safe power limits for your gun etc.

Incidentally Ares do a 6mm Cheytec M200. Whether it's any good I cannot say, many Ares guns have poor quality control.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.