Airsoft Forums UK

Allen/Hex screw problem...

MILITATED

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am trying to remove my rear sight, and there is an allen screw holding it on to the rail. So, I got my set of allen wrenches out. Now, I thought the 3mm would fit it, but it won't. It is as if the allen screw is 0.1mm smaller than the wrench... The next smallest I have is 2.5mm, but that is way too small. The screw is rounded on the outside, so I can't even get a grip on it with a normal wrench or pliers.

Anyone had a situation like this? I can get all the other screws off, except this one. It isn't stripped either - it has never been tampered with or removed.

Black Allen keys are imperial & silver Allen keys are metric so it's possible you need the silver ones

Get yourself a small set of Park tools allen keys, they have a better "Square" cut than the cheaper ones. If you completely screw the head up then you can but from Halfords a small kit (About £20) which can remove them.

• Supporters

Black Allen keys are imperial & silver Allen keys are metric so it's possible you need the silver ones

Yeah....that's not true. The colour means absolutely nothing.

• Supporters

I was about to say the same, I have a set of black, metric spec keys sat right here. Maybe that used to be a thing somewhere but I've never heard of it myself.

Generally in airsoft any allen headed screw or bolt will be metric because that's the way they're made in Japan, HK, China and Taiwan (from everything I've seen). You often get imperial spec on RS parts and accessories made in the states, but not usually on airsoft. Worth having plenty of different spec/size/style keys and drivers though given the lack of tolerance fidelity that many airsoft manufacturers exhibit with their components.

Yeah....that's not true. The colour means absolutely nothing.

Hahaha must be just me then as the black ones will be a loose fit but my silver ones are spot on but I've had them all for about 10 years

Perhaps that is specific to 1 brand?

Maybe mate, can't remember where I got them or how much they cost

Possibly

I think I was in an engineering company working the presses & that when I bought them so needed precision tools for it all

• Supporters

I've always found the silver ones are the cheaper brands but again that's just personal experience.

Anyway I have an imperial set and multiple metric sets and they're ALL black.

• Supporters

I've always found the silver ones are the cheaper brands but again that's just personal experience.

Anyway I have an imperial set and multiple metric sets and they're ALL black.

Exactly this, the silver ones are just cheap zinc coated ones. Bondhus which are the best are black so are the original Allen brand. Any others are too soft.

Yeah the set I bought ages ago had 14 pieces, they were all black but 7 were metric, 7 were imperial. Obviously the only one missing was the one I really needed, but I found that today :D Anyway, all is well now and I am able to remove what I needed to.

Thanks for all the responses.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.