Planning my first DMR - need advice!

sundown

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Over the next couple of months I am looking to invest in a DMR.

I have a budget of around £600

What I would ideally like is something along the following lines (in order of priority):

1. Excellent range
  2. Proven FPS of between 450 - 500
  3. Semi auto

I would like to use the DMR for engaging at a (close to) sniping distance, but have the option of semi auto if needed. I always play in outdoor woodland areas.

The less tinkering and modifying the the base purchase, the better!

The closest spec rifle I can find at the moment seems to be this:

http://www.airsoftworld.net/custom-built-king-arms-blackwater-bw15-carbine-airsoft-rifle-dmr-at-500fps.html

If anyone can advise or offer any suggestions that would be great :)

There's little options for ready built 'dmr', and stuff like the one you linked won't be worth it. Unfortunately lots and lots of tinkering is the only way to get an airsoft gun even vaguely worthy of being called a 'dmr'

The main advice would be don't bother with the idea until you've gained enough experience tinkering/upgrading AEG at standard FPS to know exactly what needs to be done to an AEG to make it one.

If you're really keen to be hiding behind the back row of trees with the 'pros' then do what every wally does and buy every-single bit of available aftermarket/upgrade kit for a gun, slap it in with a harder spring and big scope and wonder why the only noticeable difference is the £1k hole in your wallet ;)

There's little options for ready built 'dmr', and stuff like the one you linked won't be worth it. Unfortunately lots and lots of tinkering is the only way to get an airsoft gun even vaguely worthy of being called a 'dmr'

The main advice would be don't bother with the idea until you've gained enough experience tinkering/upgrading AEG at standard FPS to know the answer.

If you're really keen to be hiding behind the back row of trees with the 'pros' then do what every wally does and buy every-single bit of available aftermarket/upgrade kit for a gun, slap it in with a harder spring and big scope and wonder why the only noticeable difference is the £1k hole in your wallet ;)

Thanks for the advice! :D

What would you recommend as a few core upgrades for a standard AEG to improve the performance? (i'm most interested in increasing effective range)

I might just spend £150 on a sniper and see if i enjoy engaging at range before committing to a DMR :)

Not many, if any sites allow over 450 fps on a DMR, out of the box. DMR are rare, my mate just bought the new HK G28 which is 424 fps out the box and shoots like a dream but you'll have to up your budget a bit to get one, with mags and the scopes you'll see no change from £1k

Not many, if any sites allow over 450 fps on a DMR, out of the box. DMR are rare, my mate just bought the new HK G28 which is 424 fps out the box and shoots like a dream but you'll have to up your budget a bit to get one, with mags and the scopes you'll see no change from £1k

thanks for the info Spatch - bit of an eye opener!

Might just upgrade my existing AEG and try out a sniper :)

http://www.airsoftsniperforum.com/43-longrange-aegs/892-holy-grail-building-your-dmr-aeg.html

Gearbox upgrades affect ROF & RPS so this only leaves you the barrel and hop-up. The hop-up unit is widely considered the main factor in range/accuracy, and well made steel barrel the icing on the cake. I've not looked into hop-ups for a while so wont suggest anything specific, hopefully some better tinkerers will jump in with up-to-date suggestions

as for sniper, most stock ones will be frustrating if there's any wind or a passing squirrel farts

if making a DMR fitting of the name was a tough tinkering job, then doing it to a sniper is twice the work/cost

unfortunately most airsoft guns are very close to the limits of what range/accuracy you can get from firing a 6mm plastic ball, so pushing beyond takes alot of tinkering / fine-tuning. no simple solution unfortunately

as for sniper, most stock ones will be frustrating if there's any wind or a passing squirrel farts

if making a DMR fitting of the name was a tough tinkering job, then doing it to a sniper is twice the work/cost

unfortunately most airsoft guns are very close to the limits of what range/accuracy you can get from firing a 6mm plastic ball, so pushing beyond takes alot of tinkering / fine-tuning. no simple solution unfortunately

Thanks for the info - will have a think about it all :D

Im working on an airsoft version of the KAC MK11 but as it is a DMR not a bolt action, theres not much point exceeding 400 fps.

The sites I play at have a DMR limit of 420 and 400 fps respectively (with different MED).

It has a MOSFET, a 400fps spring and is semi auto only. To be honest Im more interested in the role and the cosmetic value rather than

spending lots on further upgrades.

Note that some sites will only allow DMRs if they represent a real world DMR rather than any old AEG with a scope.

Im working on an airsoft version of the KAC MK11 but as it is a DMR not a bolt action, theres not much point exceeding 400 fps.

The sites I play at have a DMR limit of 420 and 400 fps respectively (with different MED).

It has a MOSFET, a 400fps spring and is semi auto only. To be honest Im more interested in the role and the cosmetic value rather than

spending lots on further upgrades.

Note that some sites will only allow DMRs if they represent a real world DMR rather than any old AEG with a scope.

i think our site allows DMRs upto 450 fps - but i'm thinking more of upgrading my existing AEG now that iv'e heard all the above comments! :D

Really just want more effective range

The problem is a lot of mainland sites wont allow 450fps. Its not a problem if you just want to use it at one site, but the differing DMR requirements around different sites make things difficult.

Dont forget that most sites have a minimum engagement distance so you can shoot at anything closer than 20-30m.

The problem is a lot of mainland sites wont allow 450fps. Its not a problem if you just want to use it at one site, but the differing DMR requirements around different sites make things difficult.

Dont forget that most sites have a minimum engagement distance so you can shoot at anything closer than 20-30m.

Thanks Baz, and a fair point about the mainland sites I overlooked.

If you DO want a ready built DMR.. Real Sword SVD. And its also the finest AEG I've held. Can be tweaked for extra awesomeness as well apparently.

I have the Real Sword 56 and they are lovely rifles. The SVD is VERY long though. Just make sure its what you want size wise..

Defo - going to do some research over the next couple of weeks and see what best suits my play style

I have the Real Sword 56 and they are lovely rifles. The SVD is VERY long though. Just make sure its what you want size wise..

Thou not an out-of-the-box DMR from what I hear.. For me the length was well worth it - wouldn't be for any other brand, but this is just such an amazing aeg :)

Hi all,

Over the next couple of months I am looking to invest in a DMR.

I have a budget of around £600

What I would ideally like is something along the following lines (in order of priority):

• Excellent range
  • Proven FPS of between 450 - 500
  • Semi auto
I would like to use the DMR for engaging at a (close to) sniping distance, but have the option of semi auto if needed. I always play in outdoor woodland areas.

The less tinkering and modifying the the base purchase, the better!

The closest spec rifle I can find at the moment seems to be this:

http://www.airsoftworld.net/custom-built-king-arms-blackwater-bw15-carbine-airsoft-rifle-dmr-at-500fps.html

If anyone can advise or offer any suggestions that would be great :)

If you want extra range and accuracy there's a barrel called a miracle barrel which changes your guns performance dramatically and also increases your fps. The only thing is that they are £70 and can be hard it find in the UK but it's worth having a look.

• Supporters

If you want extra range and accuracy there's a barrel called a miracle barrel which changes your guns performance dramatically and also increases your fps. The only thing is that they are £70 and can be hard it find in the UK but it's worth having a look.

Actually your wrong on every count. You can get better results with a prommy or pdi barrel because they are straighter. A miracle barrel is just a 6.06mm barrel with an insert in to aid centering of the bb, a firefly bucking works better when combined with either of the barrels mentioned above and I even got better results with a cheaper zci barrel. Wont have any real effect on fps, range is affected more by hop than anything else and accuracy depends on half a dozen things all making a small difference.

As for expensive and hard to get

http://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=MIRACLE+Inner+Barrel

Edited by Monty

By the way I have actually tried one and it was crap I didnt just read some b*llshit on the internet.

If your going to give advice please make sure its not b*llocks.

There is so much of that going on on here recently, many people chiming in with utter b*llocks and mis information, it really winds me up but can't be bothered with the impending argument when you either correct them or just tell them they're wrong

There is so much of that going on on here recently, many people chiming in with utter b*llocks and mis information, it really winds me up but can't be bothered with the impending argument when you either correct them or just tell them they're wrong

As long as you're polite, what's the harm, us newbies (especially when erroneous) will never learn otherwise!

• Supporters

As long as you're polite, what's the harm, us newbies (especially when erroneous) will never learn otherwise!

The problem lies in when someone new takes the incorrect advice and wastes their money. If you give out information unless you know 100% that its correct then state its your opinion or that you have heard it. Then it peoples choice to take the risk, when you post something as fact then people read it as fact and follow your advice believing its good and its not thats crappy.

Mis information is mis information, how would you feel if you followed some advice that cost you even a fair sum to then find out it was utter b*llocks? Your hard earned gone, some people don't have the massive budgets of others and take advice and fact very seriously when they're trying to do things on a budget, so the answer is simply, if you don't know, don't advise!

Same as those telling people to buy one rifle/pistol and not another make or model and saying the other is crap purely because they own one but have never even had the alternatives in their hand, knowledge or in most cases, lack of knowledge is a very dangerous thing, same as opinions

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.