CQB injuries

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

A few months ago, Someone was using low quality BBs (Bulldogs, if I remember correctly). One shattered and went right through my full head mask. Fucked up my forehead really badly for a few days. I was shocked and a bit scared at how close I was to losing an eye.

i wear a pair of small bolle glasses (ones that look like shades) under mine for same reason (minus the forehead trauma, i did manage to inhale a little bit of the BB up my nose though, which lead to me coughing like it was my first cigar or something and embarrassingly the game having to be stopped around me while i spluttered on my own flem. nice.)

I'm considering making a hybrid out of my larger bolle glasses and a full head mask, in a similar manner people do with half face mesh and goggles.

• Supporters

almost forgot, when i first started i had a pair of those cheap perforated mesh glasses/goggles.

i took a hit from almost point blank range to my eye.

Needless to say the bb shattered and a small fragment (1mm long by 0.5mm wide) made it onto my eye. luckily it was the end of game, and when i got home, using a cotton bud i managed to get it out.

lesson learned - always wear good eye Pro!!!

The mesh goggles I started with were giving me a monster headache from the way they we're positioned as they we're digging into my eye sockets but been hit more on the goggles than I did wearing mesh ones

Been shot in both testicles, several blood blisters, broken two fingers on my left hand and probably some more injuries I can't remember.

That wasn't in a game - that was his ex when she found out how much he REALLY spent on guns

Surprisingly enough, no haha. She spent way more on MTB bikes and gear than I ever would on Airsoft lol

All my injuries were over the course of the last two years. The broken fingers was the worst since I had to ditch my rifle and run just pistol all day.

I had paid my £35, I was determined to get my monies worth lol! :D

(Though the ex really was pissed after that injury haha)

• Supporters

Not clumsy just part of the fun in playing at the mall.

Oh no, I really am that clumsy! The Mall just makes it worse :)

Newer boots have helped though.

• Supporters

almost forgot, when i first started i had a pair of those cheap perforated mesh glasses/goggles.

i took a hit from almost point blank range to my eye.

Needless to say the bb shattered and a small fragment (1mm long by 0.5mm wide) made it onto my eye. luckily it was the end of game, and when i got home, using a cotton bud i managed to get it out.

lesson learned - always wear good eye Pro!!!

Had it happen a few times I wear a full face mesh mask so its only to be expected.

Bit of eyewash at site and sorted .

I think at the end of the day if any of us was overly worried about getting hurt we wouldn't be running around like children shooting at each other with bb guns.

Look between games in the safe zone how many people are proudly showing off their latest welt like its a badge of honour.

Had it happen a few times I wear a full face mesh mask so its only to be expected.

Bit of eyewash at site and sorted .

I think at the end of the day if any of us was overly worried about getting hurt we wouldn't be running around like children shooting at each other with bb guns.

Look between games in the safe zone how many people are proudly showing off their latest welt like its a badge of honour.

Your spot on there trig, I know I certainly talk about welts I just received but it's usually my mate I wind up as he wears goggles & hat so he usually gets tagged in the middle of his forehead :)

I like winding up noobs or rentals with my scars & say this or that happens, it sometimes stops them charging in but we do need cannon fodder from time to time

I got a right good welt once. I moved up to a friendly on a corner who was taking fire, after assessing the situation I made a plan for us both to step out and suppress a target each so I could move in and get the pressure off.

As I stepped out I put my head in front of the friendlys gun... Three inches in front .

The following bb hit me right on the back of the jaw, just behind the jawbone in the fleshy neck...

There was much swearing

CQB injuries... interesting.

I have not had to deal with anything too serious at CQB, the majority of stuff being either soft tissue injuries or minor musculoskeletal stuff

Here is a run-down of what I have seen / had to deal with (or had) and my suggestions on how to avoid similar happening in the future:

BB's lodged in various soft tissue (chins, noses, ears) - wear full face protection and a hat that covers areas likes foreheads, etc.

Cracked teeth - gum shields / full face pro

Abrasions to knuckles, elbows, knees - wear appropriate gloves, elbow and knee protection

Minor burns to hands - don't pick up pyros to throw them back, or wear gloves when striking pyros / hold pyro so when it lights it doesn't burn your hand!

Banged heads from running into things - wear suitable head protection (fast attack helmets)

Temporary tinnitus from flash-bang - ideally, ear defenders (Peltor Active Ears) but these are expensive.

Twisted ankles - good footwear that supports ankles.

I think that is about it off the top of my head...

Oh, and I won't be admitting to the ones I have suffered from personally ;)

That's a good point about the pyros

My last game, coming up to the toilet block & wasn't paying attention

Didn't realise I'd lit the flash bang until it suddenly started hurting, it melted through my glove & into the skin between my left thumb & index finger

2nd degree burn

I didn't wear my hat or lower face pro last time I went the the school. Needless to say, I took a few nasty ones to the face and got an especially nasty one from a few meters away to the temple as I stuck my head or the door to peek round the corner. Didn't realise till later that I had blood dripping down my ear. I'll remember to wear my face pro next time and not leave it in the safe zone

• Supporters

I didn't wear my hat or lower face pro last time I went the the school. Needless to say, I took a few nasty ones to the face and got an especially nasty one from a few meters away to the temple as I stuck my head or the door to peek round the corner. Didn't realise till later that I had blood dripping down my ear. I'll remember to wear my face pro next time and not leave it in the safe zone

Thats why face pro is always a good idea.

Never understood the people who dont wear it. I have seen some people laughing about face pro and saying people are soft for wearing it but wonder if they still think that when paying £600 to get the broken tooth capped.

• Supporters

I wear a lower mesh when I do CQB but otherwise I like to just wear glasses. What would help a lot is if certain airsofters stopped shooting people in the face, on sunday it was so bad a few of us had a word with the marshals, I wonder if people were doing it on purpose.

I accept it happens but shouldn't be more times in 1 day than in about 6 months of play. Especially given i'm talking about cases where you are moving so your whole body is exposed.

I find it's the rentals who don't know how to use there weapon properly because they haven't been told how to set the hop etc so they spray & pray

But I had a group of 4 listen to me when I said how to set the hop & they were much happier

Most sites I've been to, say that head shots are a no no but do accept that sometimes it does happen

I agree if your deliberately aiming for the face with a whole body on show then you're a dick, but I think people should be fully prepared for this happening. Even if it's not hop-related and a whole body on show people are in an adrenaline state of reflex and you'd have to be pretty sociopathic to consciously choose to shoot someone in the head when there's other options. I hope/doubt that occurs much at all and it's more poor aim, poor hop or poor timing.

I also think just wearing glasses (not goggles) is an act of laziness and/or vanity, usually done so people can still manage to look down their scopes or because they think it makes them look more pro/realistically soldierish. I'd say people only wear glasses because wearing less is more comfortable, but these people are perfectly happy to clad their body in cumbersome vests and enough spare kit to keep them going all day, so why not extra on the face where it really matters? I've never seen someone wear just glasses without wearing all the cumbersome kit, but also see just as many in all the military gear who wear full face or goggles, so it's no reflection on the military fans in general.

Goggles that form a seal around your eyes aren't too bad as your eyes are actually safe, but the ones that sit on your face like sun-glases are just idiocy, even with the lower mesh you've still got huge gaps. I've managed to hit someone in the eye wearing them, got him right on the cheekbone and it bounced through the gap, hit the inside of his glasses and right into his eye, maybe if it wasnt a 250fps gun or heavier ammo it might have been enough to do serious harm. Fortunately it only give him bit of pink-eye and blurred vision for a month or so. I've no sympathy for anyone wearing these, and don't think they have a right to complain about any injury incurred.

It should be more possible to get away with just wearing glasses if as Nickh says people set their hop for anything further than the range of their back-garden, but that's still getting away with something, a gamble against sensibility so you can't complain when you loose that gamble. It's a gamble you'll probably win if you play woodland, but cqb is just asking for it. I think airsoft is safer if people are put off doing so, even if that has to be encouraged by groups of rental muppets aiming for the head :)

• Supporters

I find it's the rentals who don't know how to use there weapon properly because they haven't been told how to set the hop etc so they spray & pray

But I had a group of 4 listen to me when I said how to set the hop & they were much happier

Most sites I've been to, say that head shots are a no no but do accept that sometimes it does happen

Everyone always blames the rentals or the new guys but in my experience the worst offenders for every offence possible is normally the elitsist players.

The type who think they know everything there is about airsoft and unless you have spent 1000s on kit your a pleb. There sort who run around shouting on your six or tango down usually followed by "take your fookin hits". We all have met them they are at every game day.

Maybe its time to stop blaming the new players as we were/are all one at some point.

Hehehe I don't think demographic has anything to do with it, perhaps if you can divide people into how calm/in control they are, or as Esoterick perfectly puts it how much a bell-end they are, but that isn't the same split as kit/experience.

Perhaps rentals are more prone to this as they haven't gotten used to the excitement/rush yet, you'll always get one in a group of them. But plenty people have all the gear and play less often, or don't experience adrenaline in much else in life.

As for snobbery, can't we all just get along, or at least shoot each other in an 18th century dueling gentlemanly fashion? :)

• Supporters

Hehehe I don't think demographic has anything to do with it, perhaps if you can divide people into how calm/in control they are, or as Esoterick perfectly puts it how much a bell-end they are, but that isn't the same split as kit/experience.

Yep I also think there's definitely no black and white divide. For instance I know a chap who is a really good player but he completely loses the plot if he takes even 1 BB after he has been shot. Whilst it's quite funny to watch what I'm saying is people are all different.

I think the main thing really is do what you enjoy provided it clearly isn't something that would be malicious to other players(e.g throwing BFGs overarm or overkilling players just because) - Don't let this be that other people are bad because they don't do what you do, even though both your choices are perfectly valid.

Hehe that is always funny one, as no matter what you look like the "I'm fucking hit" shout always seems to come out in that same tone one used as a teenager to tell ones parents to leave you alone :) I'm more concerned with getting back to the spawn quickly so get hit after being hit pretty much everytime and doesn't bother me. I get peppered every game and it's doesn't matter how each one the 20-30 red lumps came to be. Is mostly due to not taking the extra time to announce myself enough in a manner that leaves no room for mistakes, but regardless people often panic and don't see the raised arm.

Definately, if you're getting pleasure from fucking with people you should probably stop this, torturing insects, cutting the eyes out of pictures of celebrities, stalking your ex-girlfriend and turn yourself in to the nearest looney bin.

Part of it might be left over from computer games which normally have a headshot multiplier (because multiple hits are requred) - that said, in airsoft as all body parts are equal, there is no reason not to aim for the easiest/largest target - unless all you can see is their head.

shouting on your six

This is only sensible, though shouting is a bit unnecessary.

I only aim for the head when they don't feel the first six shots...

Or if I'm sniping and that's all I can see/shoot at.

I do usually wear a lower face mask, but I've never really gotten used to them and can make aiming a PITA for me. If I consider the risk low enough, like I'm unlikely to get shot at alot for whatever reason, I'll try and get away without a full face mask. I feel like in airsoft, many people only think about the most serious consequences when you choose to do this or that. The ALARA principle needs to be thought of.

And I think like everyone else, I'd only shoot someone in the face if it was the only part showing and that I'd be waiting for some time for them to reveal the rest of their body.

Everyone always blames the rentals or the new guys but in my experience the worst offenders for every offence possible is normally the elitsist players.

The type who think they know everything there is about airsoft and unless you have spent 1000s on kit your a pleb. There sort who run around shouting on your six or tango down usually followed by "take your fookin hits". We all have met them they are at every game day.

Maybe its time to stop blaming the new players as we were/are all one at some point.

I apologise trig, my finger works slower than my brain

What I should've pointed out is that noobs & rentals lack the knowledge to dial there hop in so because of this, there bb's go all over the place

I've certainly had my fair share of being hit in the head by all sorts

Again I apologise for the misunderstanding

I always go for the largest target which is the torso but like many, I wait until they are exposed more but if I have hit there head then it's from wind etc playing a part

Any who, shall we get back on topic :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.