Advice needed on new rifle

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all, I thought I'd just throw this out amongst you all. I'm looking to buy a new RIF just after Christmas (It'll be my 40th B'day), at the mo' I have a G&G T4 which is really proving itself however I'm a short ass at 5ft 6" so I find the long barrel length a bit cumbersome. (Yep, should've bought the Short barrel version). Anyways, I'm attending my 3rd skirmish in December and so I aim to hit the shops with my newly aquired UKARA number early next year. So, here's the question... My budget will be £500, I was talking to a dude that has the TM Scar L CQC, he loves it! I have to admit I like the design (Yes I realize I'd need to buy new SOPMOD compatible mags). What's the general verdict on this? I know they do the H "Heavy" version, is it better? I really don't care about the larger calibre look, i'd rather have a quality lighter gun. Use wise it'll be outside in the woods but I also hope to be visiting a couple of CQB sites next year, any help and advise appreciated :)

I'm open to ideas about other guns too so I won't be offended if I get negative answers about the TM.

Tokyo_Marui_SCAR-L_CQC_Recoil_Shock_AEG_

I love the SCAR, but it is for bigger people, im 5ft 10" and it is big on me (not that im tall). I would suggest a P90 with a silencer for a barrel extention, if you like P90s, if not maybe an AUG A3 (im big on bullpups, but still havent got my mitts on one!). As for a non-bullpup: gun an M4! Mags are abundant, so you may as well take advantage. I would suggest a carbine from tokyo marui, or another trust worthy brand! Also a SIG 552 might be an option. This is your choice really, choose your favorite kind of gun and look at the ones in your budget!

Isnt a scar bigger and heavier then an m4? lol

The one I tried was the CQC version (As in the pic) plus it's on the "L" body rather than the "H", it was shorter than an M4 and felt bloody lovely ;)

Cool, The more I read about it the more it comes out on top! The lad I was talking too just said he runs it with a Lipo upgrade and that's it! Only down side is trying to find mid cap Magpul Pmags, (The plastic ones are bettter than the metal TM high and Lo ones).

At that price range, what else could I be looking at?

Cool, The more I read about it the more it comes out on top! The lad I was talking too just said he runs it with a Lipo upgrade and that's it! Only down side is trying to find mid cap Magpul Pmags, (The plastic ones are bettter than the metal TM high and Lo ones).

At that price range, what else could I be looking at?

if you do find Magpul pmag mid-caps let me know

Oh yeah my bad. But I believe your right in saying they are rare. Only chance is second hand and even then good luck.... Maybe have a look but if you can't find any which I out you will, may as well buy the tm mid caps... Tbh they aren't badly made

Oh yeah my bad. But I believe your right in saying they are rare. Only chance is second hand and even then good luck.... Maybe have a look but if you can't find any which I out you will, may as well buy the tm mid caps... Tbh they aren't badly made

Where can I buy the correct TM Mid caps? From what I was told the flimsy metal opening at the back is forever bending, hence the use of the Magpul ones.

EDIT: I just noticed Landwarrior have them, what is the capacity of a TM mid cap? Is it like most other brands lo caps? lol

@b1n0gHo5t Yeah, everyone I've spoken too says they're rarer than rocking horse s**t!

You'll need to sell a kidney if you find second hand Magpul mid-caps..unless the person is a clueless all the gear no idea chap

Probably be cheaper to fly out to america and buy some there

Frankly, it would make more sense to get a shortened G&G which uses the same mags in order to maintain magazine compatibility, but if you want a SCAR then go for it. The heavy and light SCAR differences in airsoft are irrelevant incidentally, it's purely cosmetic, they have the same internals as the calibre is always 6mm on airsoft (unless you include the odd 8mm airsoft weapon).

Short M4s are really good for CQB, but then again, so are short AKs, MP5s, Skorpions, UZIs etc, etc, so get whatever floats your boat.

I would definitely consider a either a three point sling, or a one point off your webbing/vest too if you are not already using one. Two point slings are not ideal in CQB. What is also important is a light, maneuverable and easily accessible loadout. It's often the case that you have to get to stuff quickly in cramped and darkened areas in CQB, especially when stacked up, so pockets and pouches which fall easily to hand are a good idea, practice getting mags in and out of pockets with your eyes shut, if you can't do it easily, then the loadout is no good for CQB. Bulky loadouts don't help in that respect, a light tactical vest is a better choice, not least because it gets hot indoors, but also because it's less likely to be scraping on walls making tons of noise, or rattling from all the stuff you might have dangling off a more complex loadout. With a 500 quid budget, you can consider throwing a decent pistol into the mix too, as these are, if not a must have, then certainly a desirable thing to have in CQB. Likewise a knife is a good idea as well and these are only about a tenner. If any of your budget is left over, then a grenade or two can be a game changer in CQB, as there are often choke points which can only be realistically passed safely with the aid of a frag.

All of that stuff can easily be held with a light tactical vest and a drop leg holster, although as with the slings on your rifle, be sure to tape up any loose D-rings or carabinas, since they rattle around and give away your position when in close contact.

Be sure to have a tac light which can be easily switched on and off, typically via a thumb pressure switch on a tactical foregrip, so in considering which weapon to buy, either get one with such a grip or with a rail to which one can be added. One last important point with CQB rifles is the tip or flash hider; it's extremely likely that you'll ding the end of your rifle into walls in CQB when sneaking about tight in to walls, and if the flash hider is plastic, it's gonna break, full metal weapons are much more suited to that environment.

• Supporters

Where can I buy the correct TM Mid caps? From what I was told the flimsy metal opening at the back is forever bending, hence the use of the Magpul ones.

EDIT: I just noticed Landwarrior have them, what is the capacity of a TM mid cap? Is it like most other brands lo caps? lol

TM mids are 82 capacity, quite a bit lower than most other brands.

As for the metal bending, I've not experienced it myself and I've been using TM recoil guns for a few years now. Just don't use your mags as door wedges or bottle openers and you should be alright!

• Supporters

Cool, I take it they're 130 round mags that can be locked at 30 round if you want?

120 rounds, but yeah you slide the plate off the bottom, undo a screw and slide the outer magazine sleeve off then there's a little switch that locks it to 30 rounds.

"Configurable 30 round magazine lock on the internal case, makes this a very realistic gun perfect even for law enforcement training purposes"

EDIT: my bad, didn't read post above

AS the post above you and JC aleady said. They are 120 rounders switchable to 30

The PMAG TM SOPMOD is a 120-round compatible magazine. It features an advanced impact resistant polymer construction, a pop-off Impact/Dust Cover for storage, and an easy to disassemble design with a flared floor-plate for positive magazine extraction from pouches. The PMAG TM SOPMOD features configurable 30 round magazine lock on the internal case, makes this a very realistic gun perfect even for law enforcement training purposes.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.