Friends

Cheeky vimto
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Being of a "certain age" I and most of my friends had airsoft guns waaaay back when you could get a TM for £50 in just about any model or hobby shop (mine came from the local comic shop in fact), but only one of us had really followed the sport (via a brief dalliance with paintball). As a result it wasn't much of a leap to us all to be like "fuck it, lets go do this!". I guess from that point of view I'm quite fortunate but I've always found (apart from a few exceptions) that most people that go airsofting are pretty friendly as long as you follow n00b rule 1 (don't be a dick).

• Supporters

I've met and made loads of mates from airsoft alone. In fact, I've made more mates through airsoft, than I ever have previously, from school and work and all that kinda stuff. Sounds sad, but when you're active on forums and your regular site's website and you get involved with people's discussions and stuff, people learn your name pretty fast.

I did start playing with 2 major long term mates and my brother, but after about 14 months or so, I'd picked up a good number of other friends to the point where I could catch a lift with them instead of having to rely on my mates coming and getting their parents to take us, and then just hook up with other people once I was there and hang out with them throughout the day.

3 years on and now I know almost all the site regulars and I've made great mates out of around 10 of them (including the site staff), one being Ian_Gere from these very forums.

Ill be in the same situation. My brother is going to come with me when I go for my birthday in Jan but im hoping to go a few times before then to sort out my Ukara

Cant say im looking forward to going on my lonesome but I dont have much of a choice lol

I could always ask the wife to come with me but id rather go alone :)

Ill be in the same situation. My brother is going to come with me when I go for my birthday in Jan but im hoping to go a few times before then to sort out my Ukara

Cant say im looking forward to going on my lonesome but I dont have much of a choice lol

just start talking to people, youll soon make friends with people there. thats what i did and now im part of a team

I'm in the same boat mate

I stumbled on this hobby through my son (Who is too young to go just yet) so my first time will be on my own, although i feel a bit like a billy no mates I think once I'm there I will meet people, I get on pretty well with others & find it easy to make new friends.

But I know what you mean though it feels a little odd to be going to something like this alone.

just start talking to people, youll soon make friends with people there. thats what i did and now im part of a team

indeed. i usually find a drink makes it a bit easier but prolly not a good idea if you're going playing with guns for a day lol

indeed. i usually find a drink makes it a bit easier but prolly not a good idea if you're going playing with guns for a day lol

i found asking people about there gear is a good way to start and you can also find something you like and may want to buy, i found a lot of people more than happy to let you have a go of one of their bits of kit if you ask nicely enough :)

i found asking people about there gear is a good way to start and you can also find something you like and may want to buy, i found a lot of people more than happy to let you have a go of one of their bits of kit if you ask nicely enough :)

im not renowed for my politeness haha

I'm in the same boat mate

I stumbled on this hobby through my son (Who is too young to go just yet) so my first time will be on my own, although i feel a bit like a billy no mates I think once I'm there I will meet people, I get on pretty well with others & find it easy to make new friends.

But I know what you mean though it feels a little odd to be going to something like this alone.

My first time was on my own. I found It quiet hard to talk to the regulars, it was very clicky. I got to know the staff and they know me by my name now. I Just need to get in with the regs.

• Supporters

I went on my own first and I still do because nobody I knew before is even vaguely interested. Depending on how long they've known me, they all think it's either just one more nutter thing that I do/have done, or that it's sorta mid-life-crisis-y.

I've made new friends who do airsoft, as Ed said. TBH I can't remember how we got chatting to start with, but it was probably about guns, then we swapped some holsters. Soon after I decided that comms would be a good thing to try, which turned out to be a bit of a saga, but yeah, having comms in the field can help, but often speaking too soon after pressing the PTT, being pretty vague about what you say, not saying to whom you're talking, or any of a whole raft of other radio discipline fails, make them just something that adds to the vibe and camaraderie. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind. It's just that when I'm in the field I'd prefer us to be able to chat random bollocks over the comms and give each other the tactical info needed to crush our enemies mercilessly under our collective jack boot V^^V

I have the social skills of a blunt Iron mallet covered in athrax and black plague yet I still have plenty of fun. Remember,this is shooting other people in the face for lels,not going to the exquisite gentleman's socialization organization.

Archived