Photos from the field

Hubert
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

all credit to @guy_butler_photography for these:

I have known Guy for years. We went to school together!

One of the best photographers out there. His airsoft pics are second to none.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That only really happens here with small sites, large site with 60 or 100+ people you won't notice it and there are many ways of changing games to suit people being stubborn like that while making everyone else have a lot of fun (Rourke's drift games, fall back games). I don't see why people should be forced away form their friends if there are plenty of ways it can be solved.. but at sites with only about 20 people, it can be an issue.. also just because people have good kit doesn't make them better.

I think saying its nearly cheating is a bit harsh, some days you come up against a better opponent and some days you come up against a weaker one.. would be like F1 teams complaining Mercedes have a better car just because they have more money. Its part of the sport and there are ways and means of getting around it and dealing with it

I only play small games as of late. I would argue that radios DOES make you better. so does, maybe to a lesser extent, aiming devices and torches.

And no, if I see there's an underdog team I try all in my power to even it up. I also stand by it's little more than cheating. Not because they got more/better kit, but because they don't want even fair games.

Really I just can't understand these people, they must have real selfesteem issues if they get pleasure from playing like that.

Also, no, if this was the world championship whateverness, of course everyone would push their kits to the max and do all they can to win. But it's not.

I only play small games as of late. I would argue that radios DOES make you better. so does, maybe to a lesser extent, aiming devices and torches.

Firstly "radios *DO make you better" :)

They have their advantages but in normally skirmishes they're of limited use.. also only magnified aiming devices offer much of an improvement and thats only if your gun is very accurate, I personally stick to Irons and trace the bb.. torches put you at a disadvantage more times than not, the enemy can see what you're about to approach.

And no, if I see there's an underdog team I try all in my power to even it up. I also stand by it's little more than cheating. Not because they got more/better kit, but because they don't want even fair games.

Really I just can't understand these people, they must have real selfesteem issues if they get pleasure from playing like that.

Well you seemed to say before that is was because of their kit they were doing well, I know and have played with lots of people who use the most basic kit and are very good on the field and people with lots of kit who are very good on the field. Your kit has a very limited impact on your ability to play so blaming peoples kit isn't right

Maybe they don't want fair games or maybe they just want to be on a team with their mates. I've never been to a site where they've needed to split up teams to get games to work well unless of curse its only a 20 person game and 10 are very experienced and 10 are completely new, then I would see the need to split them up but in the vast majority of cases there are ways to even up in game teams. Also by the nature of the game you'll always have one better and one worse team.. if you find yourself being beaten find a way to turn the odds

Also, no, if this was the world championship whateverness, of course everyone would push their kits to the max and do all they can to win. But it's not.

A the end of the day airsoft is a competitive sport and so people will take it competitively some more so than others, but that is the case with every sport ever!

• Supporters

I play for the fun of playing, winning is entirely irrelevant. Obviously if you're losing so badly you can't even respawn then there's no fun, but I don't think airsoft could ever be considered a truly competitive sport.

The whole winning/losing/kill counting/etc thing is one of the reasons I'm moving away from the Sunday skirmish and walk-on games, I just don't see the point. The realisation hit me last time I went to a walk-on in exeter and on the walk back to the safe zone a young lad asked me how many I'd 'killed' in that game, he looked genuinely confused when I said that I didn't know or care how many people I'd shot and went on to proudly tell me that he'd shot 10 people from the same building which was about 5 yards outside of our regen.

Obviously everyone gets something different out of airsoft and thankfully there's enough of a spectrum of game and player types that 99% of people should be able to find something they're happy with. Providing my fun isn't having a negative impact on your fun I don't see what the issue is?

Thats why I said some take it more so than others..

There is team that wins and a team that looses, so by definition it is a competition and thus a competitive sport.

I'm not saying people have to care about who wins or how many kills etc but as soon as you try to win a game it makes it competitive to some degree or another. If there was no competition it would be no fun as everyone would just let everyone shoot each other without trying to shoot back..

I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, so I'll try to keep it short. in the games I play radios have a major impact, say we got a 5v5, any movements spotted and the whole team will instantly be aware of it, without even giving away their positions. same players often play very cowardly on top of that. if you're a team on 10 and you're not afraid of losing, I don't see why you can't split into 5s, still with your tight nit friends, still with some other cool guys. the thing is as well, when you airsoft, we're all friends, right? and I've been in plenty situations where tracing vs red dotting makes a darn difference (for example shooting at a roof top with a target that have not spotted any danger)

If I ever stated that I though having gear alone is a sin. well, I'll have to take that back. I don't mind how much gear you own as long as you play fair. had some gearheads last time and we had an excellent time!

as stated, in a competitive event, things might be different. as I dont like it, I try to keep away from such events. even thou myself I sometimes wonder what competitive people are trying to make up for.

what is winning? I couldn't care if less I/my team win. how much fun I have before being taken out, and while being out for that sake is 100% for me. a few weeks ago I got hit in the middle of the game. I saw that the opposing team was struggling so I went over to advice them..

but at the end of the day, Nickona, we're very different people you and I, with very different views.

• Supporters

Barring the Ai 5 man I don't think there are any competitive airsoft events. From my experience the more 'serious' a game is the less onus is placed upon scoring points and winning. More focus is put on creating a permissive environment where teamwork and collaboration are the reward. Knowing that you've achieved the task you were given, even if the other team doesn't know it happened!

Me (left) and my brother (right) from a while ago. (probably last year maybe)

yeah, i know i'm small. better for hiding.

4cKsT6b.jpg

Me (left) and my brother (right) from a while ago. (probably last year maybe)

yeah, i know i'm small. better for hiding.

4cKsT6b.jpg

cant see any pic, am I doing it wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

747036D6-A39F-4F9B-A7FF-4E42C85CBBCA.jpg

LONGMOOR MOD camp via Firefight Combat Simulation 6/7/14. Probably the best skirmish I've ever been to. Was at max cap, good sportsmanship all round and plenty of action. Spent the second half of the day running pistols only which was thoroughly enjoyable including the moment I got caught on real barbed wire quite close to my plums.

#nearMiss

Archived