Kids- how old?

SSD

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. My son wants an airsoft gun for Christmas but I’m concerned he’s just too young. He will be eleven years old in March and from what I can see most clubs starting age is 12, but I’m unsure if that’s twelve without a parent. I have tried phoning four clubs in the central belt of Scotland and nobody has picked up.

To give a little background he has shot my shotgun at a few clays with my help so he has had experience with a live firearm.

I would appreciate feedback and from your personal experience, i.e. do kids too young ruin the game of airsoft? feedback from this topic will determine if I go ahead with this present.

Thanks

I wouldn't say it's too young, but yes, most sites start at 12 years old and that's with a parent present, however one of my local sites in the south also starts at 10+. That being said, I've seen some kids at my local airsoft sites who are definitely under 12 and I assume they lie about their age when they sign up, much like I'm sure a lot of people in this country have lied before about being old enough to get an alcoholic drink!

If you don't have any sites near you that he can play at until he's 12, it might be worth highlighting that to him and asking if he still wants one or would rather get one next year, ready to start on his 12th birthday, or even for his 12th birthday. Alternatively, if he does really want one, you could always get one and then shoot targets or run drills with him. I think I started shooting at about 9 years old myself, when my parents bought me an air rifle and taught me all about firearm safety and also how to shoot, and I didn't start airsoft until I was 14. I would just sit in the garden with my father and we'd shoot cans on the weekend sometimes.

Exactly my thought presses regarding the targets 👍🏼 there’s a public footpath at the end of the garden so shooting there’s a no-no for me. 

Do clubs usually have ranges in them? I’ll check myself but if anyone knows of anywhere in the central belt with ranges please let me know.

thanks for the speedy reply.

cant wait for myself until he’s old enough 😃

I’d guess that most sites wouldn’t have an issue if you arrived on a game day and explained the situation, and asked if you could use the target range when it was free/available.

Also in Edinburgh is “Edinburgh Action Air Club” 

An indoor organised event using Attack Sense electronic reactive targets

That would probably be my go to for him, as it’s indoors with nobody shooting back at him to allow him to get use and a feel for a replica

(run at Edinburgh College - Sighthill)

Find the group on FB 👍

Area 66 near Kirkintilloch do kids only games, check them out on FB or their website for details. I've inly been once but is a well laid out site & was well managed when I was there.

Edited by ButcherBill

6 minutes ago, ButcherBill said:

Area 66 near Kirkintilloch do kids only games, check them out on FB or their website for details. I've inly been once but is a well laid out site & was well managed when I was there.

Oh yeah!

A66 kids days do seem to be growing in popularity 

Kids n parents play side by side, bound to be good fun

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SSD said:

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice. My son wants an airsoft gun for Christmas but I’m concerned he’s just too young. He will be eleven years old in March and from what I can see most clubs starting age is 12, but I’m unsure if that’s twelve without a parent. I have tried phoning four clubs in the central belt of Scotland and nobody has picked up.

To give a little background he has shot my shotgun at a few clays with my help so he has had experience with a live firearm.

I would appreciate feedback and from your personal experience, i.e. do kids too young ruin the game of airsoft? feedback from this topic will determine if I go ahead with this present.

Thanks

Apologies if I missed it, but do YOU play ?

The Depot at port Glasgow has started some sort of target shooting day maybe worth looking into. Can't say for other sites but I know Section 8 the min age is 12 and the minor player must always be with in sight of their guardian and a full face mask is mandatory. With contacting site you will be better off emailing most airsoft sites are run as part time gigs and are generally one man shows.  

Edited by BigStew