Can you keep an AEG in a hot attic or will that damage the hop rubber?

ParHunter

I’ve kept my AEG in a hard case in the attic and up to a few weeks ago it didn’t get very hot up there but that has changed. I played today and while it is still hopping the BBs well I thought it curved more today than before.

What is your advice? Can I leave an AEG in the attic in a padded hard case when it can get quite hot up there or is that a no-no?

• Supporters

Indeed, silicone is used to make bakeware, so unless you're tandooring chicken on your rafters, it's not going to be an issue.

Could the warmer weather soften the hop rubber and change how effective it is without damaging it?

I’ve asked ChatGPT what it thinks:

In the UK, where outdoor temperatures rarely exceed 25°C (77°F), an attic can still become significantly hotter due to various factors such as sunlight exposure, lack of ventilation, and insulation. Here are some points to consider:

### Temperature Inside the Attic

1. **Heat Accumulation**: Attics can trap heat, especially if they are poorly ventilated. During sunny days, temperatures inside an attic can rise substantially higher than the outside temperature.
2. **Insulation Impact**: Insulation slows down the heat transfer but does not completely prevent the attic from getting hot. If the insulation is only on the floor and ceiling, the attic's air temperature can still increase significantly.
3. **Expected Temperature Range**: On a day with an outside temperature of 25°C, the attic temperature can easily exceed 40°C (104°F). In extreme cases, it might approach 50°C (122°F) or more, especially in direct sunlight and with no ventilation.

### Effects on Airsoft AEG Hop Rubber

The hop rubber in an airsoft AEG (Automatic Electric Gun) can be sensitive to high temperatures. Here’s how heat could potentially affect it:

1. **Material Sensitivity**: Most hop rubbers are made from materials like silicone or natural rubber, which can degrade or lose their elasticity when exposed to high temperatures over time.
2. **Safe Storage Temperature**: Ideally, the hop rubber should be stored in a cool, dry place to maintain its integrity. Prolonged exposure to temperatures above 40°C can lead to deterioration, such as hardening, cracking, or losing elasticity.

### Recommendations

- **Storage Environment**: To protect the hop rubber and other components of your airsoft AEG, store the gun in a cooler part of the house, such as a basement or a climate-controlled room.
- **Temperature Control**: If the attic is the only option, consider adding ventilation or using a portable fan to help dissipate heat. You might also use a thermal barrier or reflective insulation to reduce heat accumulation.
- **Protective Case**: Store the airsoft gun in a protective case that can provide some thermal insulation.

### Conclusion

While it is possible for an attic in the UK to become very hot, especially during summer months, it is not ideal for storing items sensitive to heat, such as airsoft AEG hop rubbers. Taking steps to mitigate the heat or finding a cooler storage location will help in maintaining the condition of your airsoft equipment.

So while it might not melt the hop rubber it might lose elasticity over time.

I was up in my attic a couple of weeks ago.  Stiflingly hot... I was more worried about the high humidity. 

Most of my guns are stored in padded bags or the original styrofoam boxes, but there are a couple that aren't.  Should I be worried about them?

9 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I was up in my attic a couple of weeks ago.  Stiflingly hot... I was more worried about the high humidity. 

Most of my guns are stored in padded bags or the original styrofoam boxes, but there are a couple that aren't.  Should I be worried about them?

You could buy some of those silica gel pouches and chuck one in each box. 

I wouldn’t store guns in foam filled cases, not at any temperature, especially not in an area with high humidity. Cloth cases with no lining or a cloth lining is far safer. Beware things like VP90 as well in close contact they can dry out wood and do permanent damage.

10 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Should I be worried about them?

No but I'm worried they're not on display.

I have one of these in each room of my house, it's amazing how much moisture they draw out of the air...

51avrFDtxzL.jpg

• Supporters
On 29/06/2024 at 20:57, Gunboat Diplomat said:

Can’t imagine it’s a problem. I think most hop rubbers are made of silicone which can tolerate temperatures much higher than your loft is ever going to reach. 

Most hop rubbers are not silicone. Some are, most are rubber compounds of varying degrees of hardness.

Ambient temperature will absolutely affect a hop rubber in that heat will soften it so you will get more hop for the same setting and less when it's cold and it hardens up.