Case layout

DanBow

Loving the case layouts, it's really making me want to upgrade my rifle bags.

At the risk of derailing the thread, is there a case with multiple layers in it? or are they all a relatively standard depth?

3 hours ago, Madhouse said:

Loving the case layouts, it's really making me want to upgrade my rifle bags.

At the risk of derailing the thread, is there a case with multiple layers in it? or are they all a relatively standard depth?

While I was looking they all seemed to me a fairly standad 5" internal depth unless you want to shell out a good bit of cash, only thing that seemed to vary was the length or style.

59 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

While I was looking they all seemed to me a fairly standad 5" internal depth unless you want to shell out a good bit of cash, only thing that seemed to vary was the length or style.

Thanks, now to find a case that'll fit a 77cm rifle but is 101cm or less in length (the width of my boot). The search begins .....

large seems to be just under 100cm, I went for the xl so I can comfortably fit 2 pews in it.

BBguns4less seem to have a 'Skirmish Tactical Pro' in large which is allegedly 1m long. I originally thought about Nuprol's large case but it's 1.09m long, 8cm too big.

Of course I could stop being so lazy and collapse my stocks, thus making the medium case an option (tape measure dependent of course) - albeit I might need two.

Just remember the internal sizes will be different

I've used one of these for years.  It's just foam that compresses rather than jigsaw foam.  It's mainly for an HFT rifle to protect the scope from being knocked waaaaay off zero, but I've had a bayonet collection, broadswords etc in it too.  

I tell the nosy that it's case for a percussion instrument.

Not as tactical, but at £45/50 about 20 years ago its earned its keep.  

https://www.napieruk.com/collections/shotgun-slips-flight-cases/products/aluminium-rifle-shotgun-cases-air-line-approved?variant=15046232113218

Well a massive box was waiting for me when I got in from work today...

I ordered the xl size in the hope that I wouldn't need to remove accessories (I'm lazy), I reckon I'm more likely to take my favourite pews to any game days which basically means a Scar-H or L & an AR15 derivative.

My Mk18 is the longest AR I'm likely to take but I'll be measuring up for the XM177 too before I pick any foam out, all attachments will stay attached & all mags will be in my various sets of webbing so no need to fill gaps in the case (or add extra weight).

While I was waiting on the postie I hollowed out the L85A3 case I had to fit some foam into it, prob a daft idea seeing as the case had formed spaces for an SA80 & seperate accessories but as I said earlier... I'm lazy & didn't want to remove accessories if I could help it. I'll probably buy some wave foam to do it properly but I had tonnes of padding foam in my shed & the wave foam that I do have is far too thick for this case.

440332964_25442836378665090_7325802679934324145_n.jpg

440174371_25442835811998480_3804650624753895671_n.jpg

@Jez_Armstrong how have you secured the ShadowFoam into the case so the entire layer doesn’t just fall out of under the weight of the kit? Nearly finished all my cutting and shaping and thinking about how to fix it in - double sided carpet tape, spray glue, something else…?

I used upholstery spray adhesive on my, non load bearing, top foam. Sticks like a sticky thing from Sticksville.

2 hours ago, DanBow said:

I used upholstery spray adhesive on my, non load bearing, top foam. Sticks like a sticky thing from Sticksville.

Tried that, not really bonded with the ShadowFoam… 😐

I’ve got carpet tape to try and then No More Nails, but that’s the nuclear option.

4 hours ago, Davet said:

@Jez_Armstrong how have you secured the ShadowFoam into the case so the entire layer doesn’t just fall out of under the weight of the kit? Nearly finished all my cutting and shaping and thinking about how to fix it in - double sided carpet tape, spray glue, something else…?

Srpay glue, about 2 full cans 

24 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Not the straightest cuts and it's only wave foam as a temporary until I get a proper case with shadow foam. But.... 

20240516_173334.thumb.jpg.65bcb31f63333300e547a690ec0a1a71.jpg

That's ok bud. It's better than my cuts at work and that's with a chop saw. Lol

I like the way you have accommodated the glock so it locks into the lid.👍