Rum

• Supporters

Inspired by our resident pirate, who else here likes rum?

What's your tipple of choice? Personally I'm a big fan of the Bajan rums so I love me some Doorly's (12yr old is my fave) but I'm also fond of a drop of El Dorado and Pussers!

• Supporters

I'll be honest & admit I'm a bit of a lightweight, but I occasionally have a rum & diet coke, bit of morgans spiced or kraken usually hits the spot.

I'd like to try others, but I'm fearful of liking it too much, there's a strong genetic trait for addiction on me mums side of the family, & as I've previously been at deaths door with pancreatitis, I wouldn't last 5 minutes if I become one of the thirsty people 🫣

It was something a friend of mine introduced to me just before Christmas - never really had it before (well in working sober memory anway).

Turns out I rather like it.  Last time we met up the two of us evaporated a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva at his son's 18th after-party - where we discovered that us Gen X'ers can still out do the Gen Alpha and Zoomers by quite some margin.  Although to be fair - the hangovers are worse.

Prefer to drink it neat or with a single Ice cube - it is nice to have a spirit I can enjoy other than Gin.  Whiskey is 100% guaranteed to turn me into a nasty drunk so I avoid it at all costs.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

It was something a friend of mine introduced to me just before Christmas - never really had it before (well in working sober memory anway).

Turns out I rather like it.  Last time we met up the two of us evaporated a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva at his son's 18th after-party - where we discovered that us Gen X'ers can still out do the Gen Alpha and Zoomers by quite some margin.  Although to be fair - the hangovers are worse.

Prefer to drink it neat or with a single Ice cube - it is nice to have a spirit I can enjoy other than Gin.  Whiskey is 100% guaranteed to turn me into a nasty drunk so I avoid it at all costs.

100% try some of the less adulterated rums. Unfortunately there has been very little regulation about what you can and can't call Rum so there's a lot that have a lot of sugar added (Diplomatico is one of the worst offenders).

Also - GEN X FOR THE WIN!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Diplomatico is one of the worst offenders

I do recall it being rather easily consumed.  He had some other bottles there which i can't remember the name of - Kraken may have been one.  Next time I go there I'll pay better attention.  I think it's become "our drink" LOL.  The joys of being friends with someone for 30+ years.   

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Kraken may have been one.  

*shudders*

Try some Duppy Share, Mount Gay, Appleton or El Dorado. All under around £35 a bottle and what you might call proper rum. Worth it.

Of course, if you like it, drink it. I am a bit of a rum snob admittedly, I just don't like things like Kraken and Dead Mans Fingers. They're too sweet and/or taste like arse.

• Supporters
  • Supporters

Gutted.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Damnit - My Amazon account is a business one - I can't buy certain things... Turns out booze is one of them.

I thought that was the whole point of a business account, so you can abuse the shit out of it😵💫

That's not fair😢

Just now, Tackle said:

I thought that was the whole point of a business account, so you can abuse the shit out of it😵💫

That's not fair😢

To be fair half my Airsoft trinkets are part of assorted Team Building Exercises.  I might start photoshopping the faces of my underlings onto various game day pictures as well 🙈

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Tackle said:

That's not fair😢

Depends on the company. My business account lets me buy whatever I like!

For me the go to brands are usually Captain Morgan spiced or Kraken, but if I feel like pushing the boat out (and getting absolutely shitfaced) there's always Wray & Nephew's ovenproof.

If you're a fan of the fruity rum based spirits then I can recommend Captain Morgan Tiki. Just be warned, it goes down easier than Russia's black sea fleet 

Pretty much tee total but partial to a Morgans spiced occasionally.

I don't really drink much myself, but I've always got a bottle of Mount Gay and some cans of coke in the back of a cupboard for those hot summer days.

If you really want to push the boat out though, give 'Stroh' a go!  It'll put hairs on your hairs.

Coming to you as a total non-connoisseur, who just knocks back anything that'll get me buzzin', is the Brugal and Barcelo stuff I've got from the Caribbean any good, or is it Just For Them Touristas?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Jamsandwich said:

If you really want to push the boat out though, give 'Stroh' a go!  It'll put hairs on your hairs.

I'll buy some if it'll put hair on my head  ?👴

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Jamsandwich said:

Unfortunately that hasn't worked for me.  Mostly seems to push it through all the wrong places!

In that case it's not the rum, you just got old😜, I've got it everywhere except my head, the ones that just seem to appear overnight, about an inch long out of my ears are a special bonus🙉

5 minutes ago, Tackle said:

In that case it's not the rum, you just got old😜, I've got it everywhere except my head, the ones that just seem to appear overnight, about an inch long out of my ears are a special bonus🙉

Bollocks.  Might as well keep drinking the stuff then.

I can still remember being horrified the first time the barber trimmed my ear hairs & eyebrows.

Short story long... I'm an Arbroath laddie & was back in my hometown on holiday so went to the barber I used as a teenager (1980's), sat in the same chair, the old guy was still there but the fecker charged me LESS for my haircut than he charged me 40 years ago.

Edited by gavinkempsell

10 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

I can still remember being horrified the first time the barber trimmed my ear hairs & eyebrows.

Short story long... I'm an Arbroath laddie & was back in my hometown on holiday so went to the barber I used as a teenager (1980's), sat in the same chair, the old guy was still there but the fecker charged me LESS for my haircut than he charged me 40 years ago.

Wow, you're hairline tanked faster than the economy!

I just gave up going to the barber when I realised I just needed to drag a set of clippers across my head a couple of times.

• Supporters
12 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Coming to you as a total non-connoisseur, who just knocks back anything that'll get me buzzin', is the Brugal and Barcelo stuff I've got from the Caribbean any good, or is it Just For Them Touristas?

I mean...it's not great rum.

I'm guessing from most of the posts that people tend to view rum as a mixer, rather than a sipper? Is it because there's still a perception that rum is either spiced and sweetened or paintstripper?