What brand BBs are best nowadays? Bang for buck.

Alex34

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

It's not about momentum. It's energy. As you can see above they aren't the same.

0.2BB at 100m/s drag is X Newtons.

0.3BB at 85m/s drag is .72X N.

FDrag prop to v²

.2 v² is 10000

.3 v² is 7225 or .72 of 10000.

Drag (force) is directly proportional to the square of the speed, other variables are the same.

0.2BB acceleration is -Y ms²

0.3BB acceleration is -.48Y ms²

a prop to F

a prop to 1/m

.3BB has .72 of the FDrag of the .2

.3BB has 1.5 of the mass of the .2

.72/1.5 = .48 of the acceleration of the .2, a deceleration in this case.

Acceleration is directly proportional to the force on the BB (less on the .3), and inversely proportional to mass (more on the .3).

You can see that the decceleration is less than half for a .3 at the same energy than the .2 .

The .2 will slow to match the .3 velocity but even thenen the .3 will lose velocity slower because of its 1.5 times more mass.

Only when the FDrag on the .3 is 1.5 times the drag on the .2, about 1.25 times faster than the .2 will they deccelerate at the same rate.

I think :)

It IS about momentum.

AND energy and wind resistance and air density and temperature, atmospheric pressure, aerodynamics and gravity.

if your gun is travelling at 300 FPS, and your BB shoots 300 FPS, your BB will still be travelling at 300 FPS, because the speed of BB is constant regardless of frame of reference according to relativistic physics, it may look faster but it is experiencing time differently because of time dilation via Magnus effect applied by the hop up

Looking at proportionality, common values can be ignored if the proportionality is unaffected, so only changes need to be considered.

Air density etc can be ignored.

Only if you need a numerical result would you need to run through the calculations with values.

15 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

if your gun is travelling at 300 FPS, and your BB shoots 300 FPS, your BB will still be travelling at 300 FPS, because the speed of BB is constant regardless of frame of reference according to relativistic physics, it may look faster but it is experiencing time differently because of time dilation via Magnus effect applied by the hop up

Dear me

All this technical stuff is giving me a headache, let me share my wisdom,

Beef Sausage... 4kg lean beef, 1kg bread rusk, 210g seasoning(special recipe), 3kg cold water. Mince beef through a medium plate, add dry ingredients & mix thoroughly, add water & mix again, mince a second time then fill into skins, link evenly & sell the buggers.

any one disagree?

Edited by gavinkempsell

Just now, Sewdhull said:

I'll need the seasoning, I'm doing some batch cooking. 

I should add... (special secret recipe)

23 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

All this technical stuff is giving me a headache, let me share my wisdom,

Beef Sausage... 4kg lean beef, 1kg bread rusk, 210g seasoning(special recipe), 3kg cold water. Mince beef through a medium plate, add dry ingredients & mix thoroughly, add water & mix again, mince a second time then fill into skins, link evenly & sell the buggers.

any one disagree?

Me, but only because I do not eat meat.

Nothing wrong with goulash, my old Hungarian Granny made the best. I can't share that recipe tho... it's a secret.

2 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

I make a mean Macaroni pie.

10 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Nothing wrong with goulash, my old Hungarian Granny made the best. I can't share that recipe tho... it's a secret.

I make a mean Macaroni pie.

First, catch your Macaroni.

9 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

You clearly, and fortunately, haven't committed to the meat free cause. You've been here almost a year and a half before mentioning it 😁

16 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

(special secret recipe)

You mean the special stuff?Hilary_Briss_LOG.jpg.a3db49881d071bcfc6bde12826bbd597.jpg

43 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

You mean the special stuff?

Saying nuffin, I'm more of a Fred Elliot.

Edited by gavinkempsell

Best and most consistent.28s I’ve used (I am sad and check my bb weight quite often with 4 dp digital microscales) are BAW brand, come in bags called Baw bags - lol

https://www.airsoftworld.net/catalogsearch/result/?q=Baw

more recently a couple of top Uk techs, (including Kingdom of Airsoft) who have done some extensive testing have surprisingly recommended Nuprol RZR, having bought a couple of different weights - they are remarkable good clean consistent bbs

46 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

You clearly, and fortunately, haven't committed to the meat free cause. You've been here almost a year and a half before mentioning it 😁

I have been here a lot longer than that; my previous account was hacked.  I don't really see why people feel the need to mention being vegetarian or vegan or whatever all the time.

Edited by Colin Allen

• Supporters
18 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

What if it's on a treadmill?

18 hours ago, Pseudotectonic said:

If your gun is travelling at 300fps then your BB will be travelling at 300fps anyway.  Along with all the BBs in the magazine...and the magazine.  If you happen to be attached to your gun then you'll be travelling at 300fps too!  I'm not sure relativism has much to do with it at that point, though you might get some funny looks off the marshalls.

Edited by Jamsandwich

If you're firing the BB's whilst supermanning your way down the field, then your bb's will be at 300FPS plus muzzle velocity, and your relatives will be contacted to collect your personal effects.

How long the BBs continue to travel at that speed I can't be bothered to work out, because frankly this is getting a bit too Monty Python. LOL

On 06/02/2024 at 00:12, Sewdhull said:

The .2 will slow to match the .3 velocity but even thenen the .3 will lose velocity slower because of its 1.5 times more mass.

And that is where the momentum comes in 😉 But you are right that the drag increases exponential. Every EV owner will be able to attest that you get a lot more miles out of your battery at 60mph than at 80 (completely theoretical speed of course 😉 

38 minutes ago, ParHunter said:

Every EV owner will be able to attest that you get a lot more miles out of your battery at 60mph than at 80 (completely theoretical speed of course

Theoretically I can get my Milk Float (actually a 40kW Leaf) to my mum's house using anything from 3% if I'm being boring, to 26% if I make full use of the available tarmac and use the (software limited annoyingly) 89mph top speed.  Funnily enough the heater makes next to no difference, but a wet road or cold weather makes a mahoosive difference.  Would love to hack the management software and get some more angry pixies flowing.

Hyper-miled my 3 tonne Transit van once and got something like nearly 700 miles out of it instead of the usual 380.  It was a very tedious week of driving.

Edited by Dan Robinson

Momentum is a made up value in calculations governing the motion of bodies, usually considered lossless to illustrate how they move in collision.

Even in a car crash it's energy that matters not momentum, same for injuries from projectiles.

There is a relationship between energy (a real thing) and momentum because of maths. Sometimes complicated maths.

Think in terms of momentum if you want to, but our guns observe energy as a measure.

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Momentum is a made up value

Pretty sure there's a good few physicists that would argue the toss over that.

As for the relationship between energy and momentum, the maths is pretty bloody simple (for non-relativistic bodies anyway).

The kinetic energy of an object is related to its momentum by the equation:

{\displaystyle E_{\text{k}}={\frac {p^{2}}{2m}}}

where:

• {\displaystyle p} is momentum
  • {\displaystyle m} is mass of the body

Momentum being the product of mass x velocity.

Whoa, why are we talking about time dilation here?? And sausage!

Gotta say, I'm more interested in the latter.

hhhmmm.

Just took delivery of a jewellers scale and I am now fighting the urge to measure all my bbs.

Simply because the dozen or so I took out of a packet were all kinds of different weights +-.04g.

Ggggrrrrrr

You can't put much faith in scales unless your paying hundreds of pounds.

Mine cost a tenner tho

As an example I weighed 6 .25g bbs.

2 were .25 and 4 were .27.

4 together were 1.00g

6 together were 1.52g

Repeatability was good but it looks like the error in each measurement is likely similar meaning much more at low weights.

Worth getting a calibration weight or two if it matters to you.

Or weighing in batches.

Edited by Sewdhull