Stuck compensator on outer barrell

AttackBunny

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

apologies, I have tried the search function but not got an answer to my query so hoping someone can help. 

I have a scorpion mod M, with a 14mm ccw thread which has a compensator added to the end. The mini grub screw has been removed fully and the compensator will not budge.. the outer barrel is only short, and i cannot find a way to remove it. Are there any tips / tricks to help? I can dig the gun out for photos if they helps…? 

Thank you! 

I had a similar situation not that long ago

I boiled the kettle and poured the hot water over the offendingly stuck part, only took a few seconds for the heat to radiate through the part that was stuck and with little effort it unscrewed.

Obvs, if you attempt this, have the rif pointing downwards over the sink to stop water going up and into your barrel 

The last time I had to use a stock pot filled with recently boiled water. Took about ten minutes of soaking. Also quite a few goes with a wrench.

Whoever put the threadlock on it was very generous. Something like certain M4s are very easy to remove the front end and separate the outer barrel from the rest. Imagine the Scorpion will not be a similar case. 

Take your time and try not to get frustrated.  Easier said than done admittedly.  Good luck with it. 

Thank you all for the above. I have tried the hot water over the outer barrel, and still having issues. I cannot seem to break that initial seal on the thread. 
I’ve removed the outer barrel but it’s only 10-12 cm long and cannot be gripped with anything to give me some extra force 🥲

• Supporters
2 hours ago, AttackBunny said:

Thank you all for the above. I have tried the hot water over the outer barrel, and still having issues. I cannot seem to break that initial seal on the thread. 
I’ve removed the outer barrel but it’s only 10-12 cm long and cannot be gripped with anything to give me some extra force 🥲

Pop it in the freezer for a couple of hours, then do the whole cup of hot water thing again, it will give, but might need a couple of attempts, much better than pure force💪

2 hours ago, Tackle said:

Pop it in the freezer for a couple of hours, then do the whole cup of hot water thing again, it will give, but might need a couple of attempts, much better than pure force💪

I’ll do that now, thank you! 

Just an 'think outside of the box' idea... are you sure it's not a CW thread possibly with threadlock & you're just tightening it?

5 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Just an 'think outside of the box' idea... are you sure it's not a CW thread possibly with threadlock & you're just tightening it?

I have tried twisting it both ways, with tape around the outer barrel and then mullgrips to secure it and screwdriver through the compensator to rotate and it’s just twisting the tape around on the barrel… 

if I have been tightening, it’s going to be tight now 😂

• Supporters
On 09/01/2024 at 22:35, AttackBunny said:

I have tried twisting it both ways, with tape around the outer barrel and then mullgrips to secure it and screwdriver through the compensator to rotate and it’s just twisting the tape around on the barrel… 

if I have been tightening, it’s going to be tight now 😂

It's definitely CCW (being Tokyo Marui and all). Seeing as they designed the flash hider to be reversible I'd be amazed if it's threadlocked on. Sounds to me more like it's cross threaded!

Freezer trick and hot water have not worked. 
unfortunately patience is not my virtue, despite numerous swear words, boils of the kettle and even asking nicely I cannot get it to budge so it will be a forgotten idea, and I will be sticking with the compensator. 
thanks for all the help everyone! 

Try threading cloth strip through the open parts of the compensator and when that's full of cloth wrap it around the outside tightly until it's fat enough to get a good grip on.

Wrap in the direction you'll be turning it to keep it in tension.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.