How to deal with condensation on optics

ParHunter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

Played this morning (Driver Woods) and had a few problems with my LPVO (Vortex crossfire). As it was quite cold outside I had condensation on the glass. I think it was just from the outside. It was difficult to make anything out through the optics as everything looked like it was foggy.

How do you handle that during game play. Do you carry a soft ‘glasses’ cloth in your admin pouch?

Have a look at a microfibre “stuff it” pouch, these usually come on a small carabiner that you could attach to your kit in some way.

Retractable lanyard would be ideal.

When I played in the bad weather I've just gone "sod it" and taken the optics off - both LPVO and red dots.

In fact on one occasion I was playing GBBR with LPVO and ended up ditching both because single-shot with magnification didn't make much sense to me, and single-shot when I wasn't able to pick my shots so well - and I'm up against full-auto spam - didn't seem like it'd be fun.

Sometimes you can't fight nature / weather / the odds ;)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

If it's really wet, I tend to ditch optics altogether, which is part of the reason I like having back up irons on guns where possible. However, to guard against rain moisture I use flip up scope covers and I just obsessively keep them shut until I'm in a position to shoot (and probably with the rifle horizontal).

For fogging... you can put anti-fog on scopes the same as you can put it on your eyepro. The microfibre cloth is a good idea, but make sure you keep it away from the elements as if it gets too wet/dirty you'll just be smearing wet dirt over your scope.

1 hour ago, Sewdhull said:

I've put rain X or similar on the outer lenses to keep them useful.

The a version for plastic now. 

Rain and visors was a terrible combination without something like this on them.

Anti fog on the inside, rain X on the outside.

Going to look into rain X for my scopes. It's always a pain in the butt when it rains heavy as most of my collection are long guns with scopes!

Rain X for the front of the scope, and an antifog for the lens at the back (I use 'cat crap') - it has made a difference for me. Also I was realising that most fogging was down to my heavy breathing misting it up, so now I make a bit of a conscious effort to not breath all over my scope, inc. holding my breath when I bring the rifle up to the aim etc.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.