Never look a gift horse in the......actually....

Egon_247

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So the takeaway message is that Ares is as bad as Luke et al have lead us to believe?

An Ares was nearly the first gat I bought when I came back to airsoft, glad I dodged that particular bullet / pellet / plastic ball

I've always had a thing about selector switches and had to fettle them so they feel right.

The geared ones seem have too much play and the others, well they grind or somesuch.

Bushing the geared ones is doable but alot of faff, but almost the only way unless maybe enhance the detent in some way.

11 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

So the takeaway message is that Ares is as bad as Luke et al have lead us to believe?

An Ares was nearly the first gat I bought when I came back to airsoft, glad I dodged that particular bullet / pellet / plastic ball

Ive worked on a lot of pews since i started this airsoft thing...and the ares gearbox has to be the most over thought thing i've seen yet. 

It looks awesome. dont get me wrong. its a stunner. 

Once you take it apart, the box is a bit over complicated. The whole "plug it into a programmer" thing is a bit pants. I suppose it was indicative of the time, i'm guessing its a bit older than the trigger/selector stuff we have now. 

It has a full cylinder on a 380mm barrel which i think is overvolumed a tad (2.9:1 by my guesses) so either i need to add 10cm to the barrel or port it. :D

Still, it was free and at least it takes M4 mags, which i have to say is helping on shelf space (AK, Aug, Mp5, M4, G3, P90...no sharing mags here!!)

Just need an optic as the sights look a bit meh and we're off slinging poly at the wallies.. :) 

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I spent some time today working on my Magpul/Ares Masada and was moaning commenting about some of the appalling design decisions, including the ambidextrous selectors; my son then asked why I have three Ares rifles if I hate them so much.  The answer is simple: they make some unusual and beautiful RIFs.

As Egon_247 noted, their gearboxes are wonderfully over engineered and as robust as a Russian warship.

They make some interesting offerings. Have owned a VZ58 and a Tavor of theirs in the past. In fairness to them they have made some improvements in the latter over the years. A separate rotary hop up unit rather than an integrated model and a microswitch based gearbox rather than the rod based system of before. That being said, it can be wonderfully annoying to have installed you various upgrades and have the allen screws heads strip as you put the aeg back together. 

So wouldn't be in a rush to get another one from the firm. Although they still are cranking out different products from the rest of the market. The RDB and L42 are certainly fresh. Makes a change from the latest PCC or M4/AK with mlok foregrip. 

2 hours ago, DerDer said:

They make some interesting offerings. Have owned a VZ58 and a Tavor of theirs in the past. In fairness to them they have made some improvements in the latter over the years. A separate rotary hop up unit rather than an integrated model and a microswitch based gearbox rather than the rod based system of before. That being said, it can be wonderfully annoying to have installed you various upgrades and have the allen screws heads strip as you put the aeg back together. 

So wouldn't be in a rush to get another one from the firm. Although they still are cranking out different products from the rest of the market. The RDB and L42 are certainly fresh. Makes a change from the latest PCC or M4/AK with mlok foregrip. 

I have a VZ58, an SLR and a Masada (AK magwell version).  They are all interesting internally.

7 hours ago, DerDer said:

Fair point. Will give Ares credit for keeping the L1A1 on the market.

Something King Arms could learn from...

I really wish that KA would rerelease their one.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

The fact is that Ares guns just can't handle the raw throbbing power of Ares owners.

Pretty sure you’re not supposed to put that in there

• Supporters
On 07/01/2024 at 14:39, Egon_247 said:

The whole "plug it into a programmer" thing is a bit pants. I suppose it was indicative of the time, i'm guessing its a bit older than the trigger/selector stuff we have now. 

The programmer was seen as a step forward! The trigger/fire selector thing came first in programmable mosfets (my own SCAR L has a BTC Chimera in it and that's how you program it) so being able to have a box with lights and clear selections was a bonus. Bit like the Programming card for the Gate Warfet.

Yup it was positively space age compared to the death by trigger pulls 'n' beeps process of other programmable units of the time.

20 minutes ago, GiantKiwi said:

Yup it was positively space age compared to the death by trigger pulls 'n' beeps process of other programmable units of the time.

Which is absolutely fine.....unless all your batteries are wired to deans.... :D 

not the end of the universe but still. LOL. 

She's a pretty little thing. I've got to go skirmishing with this and my rebuilt M14 (read as "fragile and WILL break") so might need a back up for the back up for the back up... LOLOLOL.,.. :D

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

The programmer was seen as a step forward! The trigger/fire selector thing came first in programmable mosfets (my own SCAR L has a BTC Chimera in it and that's how you program it) so being able to have a box with lights and clear selections was a bonus. Bit like the Programming card for the Gate Warfet.

I quite like the programmer, although I recently had to wire it to Deans.  Changing the VZ58 to Deans delivered an unexpected bonus; the Deans connectors are just the right size to keep the three battery cells in exactly the right places to make refitting the handguard simple, rather that the nightmare it was before.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.