Krylon Fusion vs Colour Max

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I bought an IKEA Uppspel glass door cabinet with powder coated metal pegboard back to display one or two pistols:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/uppspel-glass-door-cabinet-dark-grey-90507636/

The problem is that it is a black/dark grey pegboard, and I can hardly see my black pistols when they are mounted and covered by the glass doors. So I have decided to spray it light grey or even white. Would I be better using the Krylon Colour Max primer followed by Colour Max white, or would the one coat Fusion be a better alternative? It won't be like spraying a gun, just a metal sheet which will not suffer from wear from friction.

My guns are all Maruis, and I was wondering if they might be damaged over time by any substance in the paint that, even after it had dried, would affect the the plastic frames and slides.

I have just noticed that the Krylon Colour Max also appears to be both a paint and primer. Is it really a one coat solution like the Fusion?

Or would I be better steering clear of Krylon and getting an alternative brand?

Edited by emilianoksa

If it’s just the backboard that is for mounting the pegs to show your replicas, why not just use any rattlecan in a colour of your choice

I doubt any paint will have an effect on your TM’s finishes

Just let it dry thoroughly outside or in the shed / garage to let fumes evaporate and the smell to die down

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the reply.

I have recently discovered that painting powder coated metal is not a straightforward thing.

It requires a lot of sanding, followed by a coat of primer and then a top coat.

I just can't be bothered with all that, so I am exploring other possibilities such as self adhesive vinyl sheets.

Thanks again.

Edited by emilianoksa

• Supporters

I've previously had some great results with Krylon that remained hard-wearing, one thing I did was to ensure that the cans were warmed up, as well as the items being sprayed, really made a difference in the quality of the finish. 

Get the krylon, that stuff is great. Even with zero prep it still stick. The wife used my krylon OD to spray the toilet brush handle, fuck knows why but its still green after abuse.

1 hour ago, concretesnail said:

Get the krylon, that stuff is great. Even with zero prep it still stick. The wife used my krylon OD to spray the toilet brush handle, fuck knows why but its still green after abuse.

Maybe with various shades of “tan” she’s trying to replicate M81 🤷🏻‍♂️

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.