Steiner CQT - thermal red dot

Daveoc33

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This has been out for a while but I only heard about it today. It's a red dot combined with a thermal scope. Half my battle when playing in woodland is finding the campers hiding in a bush! This one is $10k but surely someone is going to clone this at some point? I thought it looked cool anyway. Definitely a pay-to-win option.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/02/19/friday-night-lights-steiner-cqt/

1 hour ago, Daveoc33 said:

This has been out for a while but I only heard about it today. It's a red dot combined with a thermal scope. Half my battle when playing in woodland is finding the campers hiding in a bush! This one is $10k but surely someone is going to clone this at some point? I thought it looked cool anyway. Definitely a pay-to-win option.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/02/19/friday-night-lights-steiner-cqt/

That's a nice nit of kit but a hefty price tag. 

I think that even if it is cloned it's still gonna be very pricey.

I need to invest in an ice suit and refrigerated helmet that'll  mess with it.😂

I'm still sorely tempted to take my FLiR i7 thermal camera I use for work....its fits nicely in one of my pouches.

It's just a shame you can't use lense protectors with it though.  Which is what's stopped me so far.   Would certainly help finding those Bush Wookies.

15 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

I'm still sorely tempted to take my FLiR i7 thermal camera I use for work....its fits nicely in one of my pouches.

It's just a shame you can't use lense protectors with it though.  Which is what's stopped me so far.   Would certainly help finding those Bush Wookies.

try using mesh. sure it will lower the visibility, but if you position the mesh just right, the lens might Aline with the gap in the mesh. 

On 28/10/2023 at 21:35, Dan Robinson said:

Get a germanium lens protector.

On 28/10/2023 at 21:35, Dan Robinson said:

many plastics are IR transparent, including acrylics I believe. Germanium blocks visible light, but I think that was a bit of a joke...

33 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

many plastics are IR transparent, including acrylics I believe. Germanium blocks visible light, but I think that was a bit of a joke...

Germanium is what they use for thermal lenses , it’d likely cost you as much as the unit to have one fabricated .

10 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

A link would be appreciated LOL

;)

Geranium-Grandeur-Power-Red.jpg

Edited by gavinkempsell

7 hours ago, JimFromHorsham said:

Germanium is what they use for thermal lenses , it’d likely cost you as much as the unit to have one fabricated .

Not really. You can get them fairly cheap from China. 

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Not really. You can get them fairly cheap from China. 

Define "cheap".

All the small round protectors I can find run between £250 and £300!

8 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Wouldn't be an issue. The thermal lens isn't the bit you look through.

19 hours ago, Lozart said:

Define "cheap".

All the small round protectors I can find run between £250 and £300!

Wouldn't be an issue. The thermal lens isn't the bit you look through.

About £30 from AliExpress 

• Supporters
43 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

About £30 from AliExpress 

For an uncoated piece that will be scratched to all fuck before you know it...

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, hitmanNo2 said:

What on Earth are you doing with your thermal if it has the opportunity to get so fucked up lol

Well...the obvious thing would be bolting it onto an airsoft gun. Yes, you could probably use an uncoated protector on a piece of test gear that goes back in it's cosy little cover once you've finished with it but if you're planning on running around the woods with a piece of gear that costs several thousand pounds, I'd want a bit more protection.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, hitmanNo2 said:

I do frequently run around the woods with several thousand £ worth of gear. Protectors are disposable. I'd rather bin 8 uncoated protectors than 1 £250 protector...

Fair do's. You pays your money and all that.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.