Too powerful!

MDC

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok, so I chrono’d my M4 today and it’s hot. A real pain in the ass as I’ll have to open up the gearbox. If I cut a coil off the spring and chrono, then another coil and chrono etc until I get it down to 350 with .20g is this the only way to solve this problem or is there an easier way? Thanks.IMG_6117.thumb.jpeg.4c23720cf452ff71265989c11ff278cd.jpeg

If your gun has a quick change system simply buy a new spring, somthing like a m100 or m90 and replace it, if you know the model and make of your rif do a quick google and find how to replace the spring with your specific gun, i reccomend ak2m4 but other sites are available ;)

32 minutes ago, Jerryy said:

If your gun has a quick change system simply buy a new spring, somthing like a m100 or m90 and replace it, if you know the model and make of your rif do a quick google and find how to replace the spring with your specific gun, i reccomend ak2m4 but other sites are available ;)

Not a quick change spring system unfortunately, I will have to open up the gearbox.

• Supporters

If you've got the time over the weekend, you might as well cut it while you order up a new spring or two. You're not going to be playing with it anyway, and you'll need to get used to opening the box, so treat it as a dry run and assume you'll mess it up and you can only exceed your expectations.

1.4J is pretty spicy[*], but the power does tend to come down fast, so I'd lop off maybe 1.5 coils, then heat and flatten the end (effectively losing two full coils) and maybe file or grind it super-flat if you're feeling posh.  I'm sure there will be screams of horror at this, but if you come out just over, you can just heat and flatten another coil down again rather than cutting it off.

If you're ordering up springs from AK2M4, you might as well get some shims while you're at it. If you want to treat yourself, these latch-and-trigger clips are ace.  Failing that, some strong magnets can help to keep the gears and ARL square.

[*] But stock for a CYMA that's not been modified for the UK market. You're not the first person to be sold a a super-hot gun by a "reputable" retailer.

12 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

If you've got the time over the weekend, you might as well cut it while you order up a new spring or two. You're not going to be playing with it anyway, and you'll need to get used to opening the box, so treat it as a dry run and assume you'll mess it up and you can only exceed your expectations.

1.4J is pretty spicy[*], but the power does tend to come down fast, so I'd lop off maybe 1.5 coils, then heat and flatten the end (effectively losing two full coils) and maybe file or grind it super-flat if you're feeling posh.  I'm sure there will be screams of horror at this, but if you come out just over, you can just heat and flatten another coil down again rather than cutting it off.

If you're ordering up springs from AK2M4, you might as well get some shims while you're at it. If you want to treat yourself, these latch-and-trigger clips are ace.  Failing that, some strong magnets can help to keep the gears and ARL square.

[*] But stock for a CYMA that's not been modified for the UK market. You're not the first person to be sold a a super-hot gun by a "reputable" retailer.

It’s a Ultimate/Lonex gearbox. I opened it and fitted the Mad Bull 100 spring years ago. It then just sat in a gun case for 20 plus years…I recently refreshed it with a maple leaf barrel and purple Prometheus bucking. I converted it to Lipo too from Tamiya. It’s a punchy little gun and I really want to use it..I guess a 90 spring would do it?

• Supporters

Mmm, airsoft spring ratings are more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules. The good news is that it sounds like you've got great airseal, so you can downspring and every other component will thank you for it.

While I'll stress that @ak2m4 really does know what he's talking about, it is just possible that you might need to go lower than M100 on an XT spring.  I absolutely fluked out on a short-tight-barrel M4 and hit 1.3J with an M100 XT spring and had to drop to an M90 to tame it.  But that's a freakish occurrence, and an XT M100 will typically be the sweet spot for UK guns.

You could also knock teeth off the sector (pickup side).

This will leave the original spring in, at its original length, while improving cycle time and moreover it costs nothing.

I take it it's more stuff to do than simply shortening a spring, but in my experience a spring that is too short leads to PME and other issues that could be avoided by operating on a different component.

On 30/09/2023 at 20:12, ak2m4 said:

Really depends on how they rated their madbull m100 springs, I think they rate them with 0.25g.  They do give a kg rating though which is pretty useless.  For the XT springs grab a M100, then you can always adjust from there once tested 

I’m going to order a XT100 and a XT90👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/09/2023 at 16:46, ak2m4 said:

Easier way is to buy a new spring.  Cutting springs can work fine also but can lead to other issues. 

I made a handy chart on my website on the XT springs that should give you an idea of where to start.  Some AEGs come short stroked from new, some super short inner barrels.  Lot of variables which affect power.  

I’ve fitted an XT100 from AK2M4 today. It’s now bang on the money at 348/349 with .20g.  Thank you for your advice and help fella.👌🏻

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.