VFC M249 Thread

Nick G

51 minutes ago, Nick G said:

I'm thinking the same, I would considder hpa, but the bottle would have to fit in a box mag, Cant be doing with the whole ghostbusters look.

agreed.

though having said that i do have an HPA rifle (Tippmann M4V2) but having snagged airlines so many times, among other issues, i am in no rush to add any more HPA guns to my armoury any time soon

• 3 weeks later...

God these things are so much fun to game ! Ran mine today , mags filled to 120 using .30's . Despite it being 'chilly' this morning , it had no issues at all . Got some great kills with it, funniest thing though was watching players run away when you open up 😂 One chap came and found me after the game and sain 'bloody hell that thing sounds terifying' The para stock was a definite improvement in the woods  running it short .

Love this beast ! 

Ran mine today too.   Got the adjustable valve sorted and it is now firing 1.1j on .28 and VORSK V8 gas (chronoed 0.7j this morning when it was cold, rechronoed at lunch when it warmed up.)

Definately need to get some small hand warmers to put in with the tank to help keep it warmer.

I did have a few issues with mine today.

First I had my red dot shot out 10 mins into the first game. Then throughout the day I found the gas tank connector kept popping out the reciever as I was firing.  I was able to pop it back in, but it was really annoying

I also broke one of the screws in the clamp for the gas tank (easily fixable)

On the plus side though, I got a lot of good kills with it.  I managed to take out several enemy players as top gunner on a snatch land rover as it picked its way across the land from our respawn point to one of the objectives on the far side of the land (a bumpy ride, and not very easy to get a decent aim with the fixed stock...  I definately need the Para stock)

Later I also managed to lay ambush to a small enemy patrol. I heard their voices, so I ducked into a hedgerow to wait for them to approach.  When they moved into view, I was able to get all four members of the patrol in one long burst.

I had several people complimenting the smoke generator suppressor I have fitted,  and had one of the members of the patrol that I ambushed speak to me after the game saying he suspected it was me who got them due to the unique sound of the gun firing and admitted to spending the rest of the game hoping to hunt me down and shoot me with his MOSCART launcher.  We had a good laugh, shook hands and I allowed him to have a try with the gun before I unloaded it.

33 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

First I had my red dot shot out 10 mins into the first game. Then throughout the day I found the gas tank connector kept popping out the reciever as I was firing.  I was able to pop it back in, but it was really annoying

Exactly what mine has done from day 1, The stanag is very secure , but the box mag connector has always popped out. I've dealt with it by drilling and tapping a hole under the feed plate for an M3 bolt. This presses down on the mag catch and secures it. Not had the issue since. Not having the feed tray bolted down hasn't caused any issues.

What often causes the adapter to come loose is the movement of the fake belt catching on the magazine release as it rattles . I

I sorted this by A using inert rounds with only the top VFC one with the hole in it and B by making sure there is plenty of slack above the mag catch so that the belt doesn't pull taught when it's being moved by the shaker

10 hours ago, 1st commando said:

What often causes the adapter to come loose is the movement of the fake belt catching on the magazine release as it rattles . I

I sorted this by A using inert rounds with only the top VFC one with the hole in it and B by making sure there is plenty of slack above the mag catch so that the belt doesn't pull taught when it's being moved by the shaker

Mine came loose even without the fake rounds . But I suspect the recoil shakes the catch just enough to release it. A stronger spring on the catch may solve the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a while fettling the fit of the box mag today. Shortened the air line more and filed out a slot for it on the top of the mag. Nicer fit and the bullet belt is much easier to fit now too. Also removed one round from the belt as it was a bit too long. Mine is made up of deac rounds with the top one from the vfc belt so it fits the 'wiggler' 

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

Spent a while fettling the fit of the box mag today. Shortened the air line more and filed out a slot for it on the top of the mag. Nicer fit and the bullet belt is much easier to fit now too. Also removed one round from the belt as it was a bit too long. Mine is made up of deac rounds with the top one from the vfc belt so it fits the 'wiggler' 

I removed about an inch of tube and cut the space for it in my real 200 rnd bag too . However I fitted a longer belt as it sits in place better and doesn't fall out when elevated

31 minutes ago, 1st commando said:

I removed about an inch of tube and cut the space for it in my real 200 rnd bag too . However I fitted a longer belt as it sits in place better and doesn't fall out when elevated

Yep, my belt is still longer than the VFC one by a roundor two.

She'll be getting another outing on Sunday 😁

i was debating fitting a real bullet belt, but im worried that its extra weight may cause further issues with the box mag gas connector popping out, or break the "wiggler"

On 15/10/2023 at 20:59, Nick G said:

Exactly what mine has done from day 1, The stanag is very secure , but the box mag connector has always popped out. I've dealt with it by drilling and tapping a hole under the feed plate for an M3 bolt. This presses down on the mag catch and secures it. Not had the issue since. Not having the feed tray bolted down hasn't caused any issues.

do you have pics of this mod? i may need to do the same to mine, but i am also reluctant to do anything too invasive

On 27/10/2023 at 21:14, Nick G said:

She'll be getting another outing on Sunday 😁

where abouts are you playing?

Edited by Spartan09

5 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

i was debating fitting a real bullet belt, but im worried that its extra weight may cause further issues with the box mag gas connector popping out, or break the "wiggler"

do you have pics of this mod? i may need to do the same to mine, but i am also reluctant to do anything too invasive

where abouts are you playing?

Playing at Survival combat games in North Devon , my usual site.

I'll grab a picture of the mod after the rugby. It cant be seen once the feed plate is back down.

Hole drilled and tapped for a M3 bolt

image.thumb.jpeg.ad485b5f5a69c05b4a09c55eb76ad9ab.jpeg

M3 screw/bolt fitted . It's about a 5mm long one from my R/C spares box. 

I've drilled the mag well so that the bolt presses down on the mag catch pretty much right over the 'wedge' that secures the mag.

image.thumb.jpeg.05d48af523c266d7503948c6006aace2.jpeg

And belt feed tray cliped back down. Completely hides the mod, I don't bother to bolt the tray back down and never had an issue.

image.thumb.jpeg.8482167d47ce825f49f6823e5e045406.jpeg

I'm sure something else could be tried, but this works on mine, was quick and easy to do and importantly doesn't show .

Just put the box mag block in, pop the bolt in and screw down untill it's starting to go tight, doesn't need to be over tightened which just risks stripping the thread. Only needs to prevent the mag catch from moving .

https://www.bangbang.com.hk/products/dna-steel-receiver-for-vfc-m249-gbb

Anyone tempted ? 

decent price for a steel receiver, but as an old git I'm not sure I fancy lugging the extra weight around

2 minutes ago, Nick G said:

As an old git I'm not sure I fancy lugging the extra weight around

I know what you mean bud.I don't either. It's even worse when I start putting gear and guns on!😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2023 at 17:38, Nick G said:

https://www.bangbang.com.hk/products/dna-steel-receiver-for-vfc-m249-gbb

Anyone tempted ? 

decent price for a steel receiver, but as an old git I'm not sure I fancy lugging the extra weight around

I probably won't,  partly due to the extra weight, but also the cost..

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd experiment a bit with the gas feed from the box mag to see if I can make something totally secure and non invasive. 

Picked up the Airtac hpa kit, now I would only hpa it if I can get a bottle in the box mag and I wouldn't use the mag adapter which allows you to run an aeg box mag. The limited ammo and mag changes are part of the GBB experience for me. 

Very much at the proof of concept stage, but I've fitted the hpa adapter to the gun, just replaces the brass fitting in the mag well , and run part of the line that comes in the kit. On the mag I've used an hpa line I had knocking about which I cut in half , the rubber tobe pushes straight in to the fitting on the mag tank. I now have a QD fitting with a stop valve. The tank is holding gas fine. A quick test looks promising. The gun cycles fine, and that's with only a short fill and it's bloody cold in the garage . 

image.thumb.jpeg.9eb73d30d68d0f5e313cf423cdb8ec6a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b78408ac0b07f8c0ae0865b797a6b668.jpeg

I'll do some testing at weekend and shorten the lines , may use the spare rubber section for the line in the gun as it's more flexible, so easier to route into the box mag.

I wont be able to run it from the STANAG, but tbh I dont see that as an issue.

If this works, it's totally reversable in about 15 minutes.

I'll keep you all posted 

• 2 months later...

Experiments with the QD fittings continue. But with mixed success , so for the moment I'm running it stock but have my eye out for a very compact gas bottle that would fit into a box mag.

I have however fitted the DNA steel mag catch . It does feelmore robust than the stock one, and it also seems to have stopped the box mag gas block jumping loose. I can only think the 'lump' on the DNA catch might be more pronounced. I have yet to try it in a game though so we will see. When I play next I'll try it without the m3 screw that I normally fit to the mag well and see what happens.

Still loving the 249, it's so much fun !

Spent some time testing the mag catch today as I wont get to play untill next month. 2 full BB loads (about 120 per mag) through it with the box mag and no sign of the gas block popping out , where as before you'd get half a dzen shots before it jumped out. 

Seems to be sorted by the new mag catch.

On 07/02/2024 at 17:36, Nick G said:

I have however fitted the DNA steel mag catch .

7 hours ago, Nick G said:

Seems to be sorted by the new mag catch.

sweet, if thats all it takes to fix this annoying issue, then i will be looking to do the same with my one.

now i just need to source the part

6 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

sweet, if thats all it takes to fix this annoying issue, then i will be looking to do the same with my one.

now i just need to source the part

Well early indecations are good,my block has had the issue from day 1 (stanag has been fine) , but several mags in now and so far no repeat.

https://www.wgcshop.com/products/dnfn-md01

Got mine from here,took about a week to arrive.

• 1 month later...

The 249 got a run out today, I love how much fun it is , got some nice kills with it . 

Didn't have a single issue with the gas block releasing itself, so the replacement mag catch does seem to have sorted that.