VFC M249 Thread

Nick G

As there are a few of these appearing in the group now. I thought I'd start us a thread which will keep everything in one place. Upgrades, issues or anything else.

I plan to strip mine down today . Want to give the internals a clean and lube as well as checking tighness of bolts . The mount for the box mag has a little movement , looks to be held by 2 bolts which I suspect need a tighten and some locktight. 

Also the gas 'block' for the box mag has popped out of location in the mag well a couple of times, which might be down to me not inserting it completely but will look at that.

Well I've had it apart this morning. Not a bad job, one or two fiddly bits but no worse than any of my other GBBRs. The box mag clip is held on by two small bolts which seem to be the only ones on mine where lock tight wasn't used. There are 2 further holes in the lower reciever, so if the clip works loose again I'll drill and tap it and use 4 bolts.

The 2 offending bolts can just be seen in this pic, now with lots of thread lock on them. image.thumb.jpeg.70ddd9153451684f946ab6662a4387c4.jpeg

The gas block for the box mag issue is odd. It's not down to me not pusing it fully home . It doesn't feel as snug a fit as the stanag though so I think it's moving just enough under recoil to allow the mag catch to release. I'll try adding a shim to the bottom of the block and see if that sorts it.

Might be an issue to watch for or it might just be mine. Will be interesting to see. I had to trim the gas pipe in the box mag shorter to get everything to fit properly, but mag bow fite sthe reciever clip nicely and I can get the fake bullet belt into position on the mag.  The face rounds look very plastic so I'll make up a deac round belt for it.

Impressed with it 

Ran my one today for the first time, after hearing back from SWIT airsoft that they are going to order replacement parts for the bits that border force broke, rather than requiring me to ship the gun back to them as I thought they might ask.

Ran mine with the gas box mag, but found that the clip was rather tight and needed adjustment to allow the box to fit without forcing it on.

Firing the gun drew quite a lot of admiring looks and compliments,  particularly with the added features of a suppressor with a smoke generator and a tracer unit fitted.

I will be stripping it down and giving it a good clean and lubrication over the next couple of days.

One issue i do need to look at is perhaps replacing the nozzle as it was firing initially at 1.5j on .28s and VORSK gas. Regassed with nuprol 2.0 and fired a few mags through it and the power dropped down to just below the limit, and I rechronoed a couple of times through the day and it remained below the limit but too close for comfort.

One other issue I need to work out...   what's the best way to empy the gas tanks between game days?  As unlike a standard mag, there's no release valve to manually vent the excess gas

3 hours ago, Nick G said:

Might be an issue to watch for or it might just be mine. Will be interesting to see

Not Had that issue with my one (yet), but it will be keeping an eye on it.

I always keep my gas mags gassed when not in use so will be doing the same with the stanag and box mag. If you want to empty them you could just switch into dry fire mode and run the tanks empty.

Mine is a bit marginal on chrono too using Nuprol green, but does just come under site limit. 

Interesting about the box mag gas block, I suspect it is just mine , should be able to sort it though.

4 hours ago, 1st commando said:

I'll be fitting the CL project design adjustable valve to mine just to ensure it's always under 

Didnt know there was an adjustable nozzle for the 249. Do you have a link to where I can get one myself?

14 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

Didnt know there was an adjustable nozzle for the 249. Do you have a link to where I can get one myself?

I'd be interested in where to get one too, usefull to have the adjustabililty as they do seem to be pretty marginal for site limits out of the box.

4 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

It's exactly the same valve as every other VFC (except mp5) . I got mine from gbbparts.com

Also it turns out the real B&T rail fits although it does mean you have to remove it to remove the gas tube as part of a detailed strip

20230816_095438.jpg

14 hours ago, 1st commando said:

It's exactly the same valve as every other VFC (except mp5) . I got mine from gbbparts.com

Just want to make certain...  is this the part you mean?  

https://gbbparts.myshopify.com/products/cl-project-design-adjustable-floating-valve-for-vfc-gbb-rifle?_pos=1&_sid=8f11af9c1&_ss=r

Also ordered, thanks for the heads up 

18 hours ago, 1st commando said:

Also it turns out the real B&T rail fits although it does mean you have to remove it to remove the gas tube as part of a detailed strip

20230816_095438.jpg

MK 46 stock looks good on it too 

6 hours ago, Nick G said:

Also ordered, thanks for the heads up 

MK 46 stock looks good on it too 

No worries. Interestingly it's actually a VFC stock for the AEG mk48 and I found it compatible with the buffer plate and switched them over. But thanks, I like it too

Gamed mine today, what an absolute hoot ! Got some decent kills with it including one at range which surprised me, gave a speculative burst thinking it would make him keep his head down and up went the arm ! 

4 mags filled to 160 lasted me a game and the box mag handled them with no issues. My god that thing holds alot of gas ! I went through a complete bottle of green today, although I ran GBB all day. The 249 came out for 2 games , then the L119 A1  and the G3 had a run .

Ran mine today at AWA Herts.

Got a few kills with it, though I'm still dialing in the hop so accuracy isn't perfect yet.

I had a small issue in the middle of the first game where the gun decided it didn't want to work with a mag inserted, but would dry fire without a mag hapilly, so I dropped to my tippmann for game 2 then had a look at the 249 over lunch.  Turned out the square block on the recoil spring was sat askew because the cross pin had worked its way to one side.  Easy fix, just used a pistol mag to tap the pin central and the gun worked flawlessly all afternoon (I also gave the workings a wipe off and reapplied clean silicone gun oil and gun grease).  I will be applying some loctite or similar to the pin when I strip the gun down again to hopefully prevent a repeat occurrence.

Filled the box mag with an entire can of green gas and that lasted me easily 8 mags filled to 175 plus a couple of half mags (I was refilling all mags to full between games so didnt keep an exact count)

I also have a smoke generator suppressor fitted to the end of the barrel that I have also fitted an acetech brighter R tracer unit into, and the combination drew a lot of admiring looks from both teams and even the marshals (I will upload some pics once I have sorted dinner and unloaded the car)

Also had the adjustable nozzle arrive yesterday, so that will also be fitted at next strip down

Edited by Spartan09
Typo

Hi all,

I just opened up my m249 today and the magazine catch is really not working I suppose this is not how this should come right?

im really disappointed tbh thought VFC had good reviews on the m249 and it seems like they have really poor quality control.

any help would be greatly appreciated to see if this is normal, but I doubt this is correct.

thanks IMG_1697.thumb.jpeg.8191fb2c27c0ee8217cb7a932549a982.jpeg

1 hour ago, JayS said:

Hi all,

I just opened up my m249 today and the magazine catch is really not working I suppose this is not how this should come right?

im really disappointed tbh thought VFC had good reviews on the m249 and it seems like they have really poor quality control.

any help would be greatly appreciated to see if this is normal, but I doubt this is correct.

thanks IMG_1697.thumb.jpeg.8191fb2c27c0ee8217cb7a932549a982.jpeg

That's been broken ! There have been a few got broken in transit etc and if you email  [email protected] they will send you a new one directly. Where did you buy from?

Hi I bought from Airsoft world.net I thought it was broken but had to be sure. I’m not sure there are any replacement parts for the magazine well.

reached out to them already but no response.

thanks for feedback

19 minutes ago, JayS said:

Give it a few days.  I have emailed VFC about parts to replace the bits that border force broke, and it usually takes an average of 4 days to get a reply

14 hours ago, JayS said:

Hi I bought from Airsoft world.net I thought it was broken but had to be sure. I’m not sure there are any replacement parts for the magazine well.

thanks for feedback

Contact Airsoft world , it's up to them to help you. Worth emailing VFC too at  [email protected] but ultimately Airsoft world should swap it right away as they are a UK retailer bound by UK trade laws.

@1st commando  have you got round to fitting the adjustable valve to your one yet?

Asking as I'm currently stripping my one down to fit the part (as well as clean and lube the workings) and i just wanted to check if the retaining pin for the nozzle return spring needs to come out one direction rather than the other.  Don't want to force it the wrong way and break the nozzle assembly

2 hours ago, Spartan09 said:

@1st commando  have you got round to fitting the adjustable valve to your one yet?

Asking as I'm currently stripping my one down to fit the part (as well as clean and lube the workings) and i just wanted to check if the retaining pin for the nozzle return spring needs to come out one direction rather than the other.  Don't want to force it the wrong way and break the nozzle assembly

I did indeed and i just tapped it out and didn't see anything directional on it