Ambush - Netflix

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

I take it your more a more of a Notting Hill or Little Mermaid kind Gal? 😜

No just can’t watch films that’s are based on events in time and get equipment and weapons completely wrong.

Both where also poorly written.

• Supporters
31 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Sure, but my issue is when they choose to get things so deliberately wrong, in a way that assumes the audience lacks the most minimal of knowledge, or even the basic cognitive reasoning of an average ten year old.

As an audience member, it feels personally insulting.

Unfortunately it's rare to find the people behind the production that actually care (or know) about the finer points that trigger some viewers. 

Then of those that do care (or know), how many of those are then hamstrung by the money people too tight to pay for more realism & detail. 

& then finally you get that small percentage who want to make a blockbuster, with a speculate to accumulate attitude, think the likes of oliver stone & platoon, actors at a harsh boot camp etc, living the dream lol. 

Unfortunately those productions are rare as rocking horse shit, watch the opening credits of most films these days & there's about a gazillion "production" companies (aka backers) who will tentatively throw a few quid in the hat while shitting themselves their gonna get bankrupted by a covid outbreak or lead actor od'ing before production finishes, in the old days it would be one firm commited to the end product. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skullchewer said:

*watches it out of spite*

LOL, I prob will too, although that pisshead Jonathan Rhys Meyers always grates on me. 

A little bit off topic but... Watch the 1980's TV series 'Tour of Duty', I recently bought the box set & binge watched it while on holiday. The series kinda struggles with new ideas for each episode but it's deffo worth watching.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

A little bit off topic but... Watch the 1980's TV series 'Tour of Duty', I recently bought the box set & binge watched it while on holiday. The series kinda struggles with new ideas for each episode but it's deffo worth watching.

I too remember it from the eighties, used to be on about 1am on a Saturday night, what's really worrying is of late I can't even remember whether I've had my meds or what I had for dinner, yet as soon as I saw the shows name I remembered the platoon sergeant was played by a guy called terrence knox........ 

That's weird shit lol

27 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

I remember watching and liking it as a kid loving the theme song not realising who sung it..... Ah the ignorance of youth. Haven't seen it in decades. 

I genuinely think people have been getting dumber, at least in the last ten years.

This is evidenced by the huge amount of scenes that have audiences shouting things like “Run first, kiss later you idiots!” or, “Why didn’t you take his gun when you knocked him out?”

I write as a hobby, so this stuff really bothers me…

6 minutes ago, Leo Greer said:

genuinely think people have been getting dumber, at least in the last ten years.

In homage to Team America (possibly one of the best films ever made) I call it "a Kim Jong Il moment" :

I run a heating company with 4 or 5 underlings and some of the questions I get asked by them and customers beggers belief. 

Edited by Dan Robinson

17 hours ago, TacticalWaifu said:

Absolutely the circumstances were atrocious -- but in a time where replicas can be identical to "real steel" variants without the lethality, and convincing effects for muzzle flash / projectile travel can be created without the risk to anyone else, why wouldn't you agree with it?

Sure, catching some airsoft replicas might make you feel like there's a little less realism for a moment, but there are plenty "dummy" guns that did the job long before airsoft came along... Replicas and props aren'y anything new by a long shot, so what exactly are you against / in disagreement / uncertainty about? 🤨

For most films, it's passable. For films like John Wick, it wouldn't work - but films like that have more stringent H&S checks in place due to the nature of the choreography.

And as i work in CGI/VFX, spotting fake or poorly done muzzle flash, shell ejection and the like can ruin a film. Like those Sky made action films - they look dreadful (among many other bad things about them).

Edit: Also, after spending time on set with replica and prop firearms - the armorers i've worked with would blow a bollock if they were on that Rust set. It's annoying that 2 people not following the rules cast shade on the whole profession. Imagine if they banned train drivers after a rail accident - hyperbole, yes, but a whole industry and profession shouldn't have to change because 2 people didn't follow standard, strict rules.

2nd edit: Also the knock on effect - VFX ain't cheap. So the budget comes from somewhere. The studio pockets (lol), or the VFX budget. Which means corners get cut, artists get squeezed and underpaid, or it gets outsourced to India. They always saying "fix it in post" when people in post always say "Get it in camera".

Edited by rj1986

On 19/06/2023 at 16:52, Enid_Puceflange said:

Nobody has mentioned Extraction 2 which was released on Friday 

I thought a decent enough follow up from the first movie, and leaves you in no doubt there will be a third 👍

Wash your mouth out! That was a truly dire watch!!! 🤮

On 19/06/2023 at 15:28, RostokMcSpoons said:

Ah, I was echoing the 'great film' for Nobody

The Covenant... decent, agreed!

Sniping in films is almost universally awful, isn't it?   I just watched The Mother where J-Lo teaches her kid to shoot, where the target basically fills the sight picture of the scope ... and naturally she still manages to miss - to leave room for improvement

Team America's montage pops in my head every time I see things like that ...😂😂

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.