bren lmg project

HuttArmouries

Since im now reasonably competent at 3d modeling and printing I was planning to have a go at making a bren machine gun kit. Im finding plenty of blueprints but not many with measurements. If someone has a link to a more comprehensive set of measurements it would be appreciated.

Also I have a couple of options with this and wanted to get some opinions.  

1 do I make the pistol grip dimensionally accurate and shove an m14 or p90 gearbox in it 

2 make the pistol grip a bit chunky and use as many standard v3 parts as possible. 

Either way im planning to make a 3d printable mag casing that can just have an ak midcap hidden inside and ill probably have to come up with my own hop unit. That is probably gonna be one of the more difficult things to get working. 

DSC_8918.jpg

IF it were me, I would shove a V6 in it. You should have enough room and this allows you to use the standard P90 hop unit which will save you a lot of time and hassle trying to get a 3D printed unit to work.

My version of we have Bren Gun at home...

IMG_1746(Edited).thumb.jpg.7534779eb4e186fe9f61c25cd530a4d8.jpg

• Supporters

Question - why not just use a ZB-26/ZB-30 as the base? Its essentially the same gun, and would enable you to focus your efforts on smaller details like the mag and bipod.

ZB26.webp

4 hours ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

Question - why not just use a ZB-26/ZB-30 as the base? Its essentially the same gun, and would enable you to focus your efforts on smaller details like the mag and bipod.

ZB26.webp 109.13 kB · 7 downloads

Because the zb26 is unavailable and very expensive when it is sold second hand. 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, HuttArmouries said:

Because the zb26 is unavailable and very expensive when it is sold second hand. 

Fair enough, though I see new ones pop up somewhat regularly here stateside. In fact a new batch is supposed to be available next month. 

43 minutes ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

Fair enough, though I see new ones pop up somewhat regularly here stateside. In fact a new batch is supposed to be available next month. 

Fair enough. I havent seen a new one in stock in the uk since they were first available 

• 7 months later...
On 05/10/2023 at 08:49, Biarnred said:

How is this project coming along? I should have an ZB26 later this month and curious.

Still in progress but has been sidelined as I need to do other projects to  make money. Ive gone with the version 3 gearbox and custom hop unit option but its a lot of printing, testing, tweaking and repeat so ive got other projects that are much quicker to finish

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/11/2023 at 17:18, Biarnred said:

Ah OK understand. My ZB26 came and, after a couple repairs (LOL) is looking and functioning well. Would love to get the receiver marked but don’t see point of buying a laser engraver - do you have someone you use/recommend for this work?

Afraid I dont know anyone with a laser engraver though in future I may be picking one up for the workshop. Thats a long way off though.  Right now Im working on a home made tag grenade launcher based on the msbs grot grenade launcher so Ive not worked on the bren at all. Also very easily distracted >_>

On 08/11/2023 at 17:18, Biarnred said:

Ah OK understand. My ZB26 came and, after a couple repairs (LOL) is looking and functioning well. Would love to get the receiver marked but don’t see point of buying a laser engraver - do you have someone you use/recommend for this work?IMG_9791.thumb.jpeg.a1ea5be990041f2553c5dce77e882e2c.jpeg

Jack at Airsoft Engraver

https://airsoftengraver.co.uk

On 08/11/2023 at 18:18, Biarnred said:

Ah OK understand. My ZB26 came and, after a couple repairs (LOL) is looking and functioning well. Would love to get the receiver marked but don’t see point of buying a laser engraver - do you have someone you use/recommend for this work?IMG_9791.thumb.jpeg.a1ea5be990041f2553c5dce77e882e2c.jpeg

I love it! 

I'm not completely sold on the camo tape, but de gustibus, it looks great anyway.

Edited by Cocha

• 2 months later...

sorry to bring back a dead post but i just read this one ive been modding a type 96 because i couldnt get a zb26 not a bad result to be fair pics before painting replacement parts so you get an idea of work required.

20240215_162108.jpg

20240215_162054.jpg

20240215_162031.jpg

ha you can knock one up for yourself buddy more time than anything else oh and a good workshop access 😊

Many moons ago I took a wee daytrip to Landan town (from Glasgow)& bought a deactivated Bren from a wee shop in Angel Islington, as you can imagine the box it was packaged in was mahoosive. Popped on the Tube to go catch my train home and when I got to Euston station I thought... hmm, the IRA are still a thing, I better leave this with the transport police until I catch my train home. Long story long, they weren't interested, "take it to left luggage if you want mate".

I'm still shocked 30 years later.

p.s. cool build.

• Supporters

Was that from "soldier of fortune" ?, used to be in torrens street down the side of the old angel station. 

3 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Many moons ago I took a wee daytrip to Landan town (from Glasgow)& bought a deactivated Bren from a wee shop in Angel Islington, as you can imagine the box it was packaged in was mahoosive. Popped on the Tube to go catch my train home and when I got to Euston station I thought... hmm, the IRA are still a thing, I better leave this with the transport police until I catch my train home. Long story long, they weren't interested, "take it to left luggage if you want mate".

I'm still shocked 30 years later.

p.s. cool build.

Just now, Tackle said:

Was that from "soldier of fortune" ?, used to be in torrens street down the side of the old angel station. 

I honestly don't remember, I'm a Jock & needed a map just to find London, I remember it had a fairly big cellar full of deacts. Would have been 1993-95.

Fairly sure it was on the high street, possibly the same street as the station.

• Supporters
33 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

I honestly don't remember, I'm a Jock & needed a map just to find London, I remember it had a fairly big cellar full of deacts. Would have been 1993-95.

Fairly sure it was on the high street, possibly the same street as the station.

My bad, they were long gone by then, I grew up around there & they were the only firm in the area that had that kinda kit, but when I came out of the mob I couldn't actually afford to move back there, well not to buy anyway, poxy yuppies lol

Edit: I've just had a flashback to my childhood, if not sof it must have been Regimentals, tiny little shop on the Essex Rd, they'd have gear going back to napoleonic times, & plenty of deacts. 

Edited by Tackle