G36 on my shopping list

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It's been a while since I bought a new gnu, and with Special Ops opening it's doors again next month, I think I might spend a few quid on scratching my G36 itch.   (Maybe some ointment would be cheaper than buying a gun, but let's not go there...)

I thought a G36 would still be quite cheap, given the review videos I've watched have talked about "£85" and "100 Euros".   Well I guess everything in the world going to shit, plus Brexit means those days are gone.   So given the lack of stock I'm down to perusing bone yard sales, pre-used, and a very few sites who have anything available.   I seem to always miss out on the boneyard and used guns (or they're two-tone), and I would like a bit of buyer-protection, so 'new' will be the way to go

My preferred choice was the JG, and my local seller Action Hobbies does indeed have stock - but it's a rather eye-watering £180 for the normal one, or £190 for the Franken-M4 version.  Buying there does avoid the possibility of a big parcel turning up when t'wife is home, and having to explain why I need yet another gun, as I can just go pick it up directly.  

Meanwhile Patrolbase do have the Cyma version in for £120, which is much more palatable... but I've rather got the impression the Cyma was the less favoured choice.   However, £60 does cover a multitude of potential sins! 

To throw a fun curveball into the mix though, there's the Cyma High Speed variant at £160.  25rps is too much, but then again 12rps feels a bit too little, so it's a candidate.    Is it any good, or will the internal bits spin off into oblivion? 

Any thoughts (or gifts of unwanted G36's) gratefully received :)

Great decision, g36 platform is a joy

The JG is super solid, but as you say is quite high in price for a budget gun, the base Cyma and high speed are both great too. Another option to look at is the specna arms ones, they're an Ares clone with ebb, not exactly TM spec but there's plenty of parts out there too.

I should have mentioned - I already bought an M4 adapter off the classifieds here... I've got too many STANAG mags of various types to want to go for yet another set, so will that likely fit anything I buy or are they manufacturer-specific?  (It's not an expensive mistake if I've got the wrong one)

There's a Specna at Patrolbase.  It has EBB which I presume will break pretty quickly, but it does have the advantage of an ETU (so presumably I can (ab)use it with an 11.1v lipo) and a quick change spring, which are both very useful, I think.  And it's a sensible £150 too.

The Specna is not an Ares clone, it is an Ares. Specna do not make rifs. I even read somewhere that under the Specna trades which are stuck on are the Ares / Umarex HK Licensed trades. 

I have the tan Umarex one and the polymer feels great and the ebb is fun, though can be easily decommissioned if desired.

1 minute ago, BigAl said:

The Specna is not an Ares clone, it is an Ares. Specna do not make rifs. I even read somewhere that under the Specna trades which are stuck on are the Ares / Umarex HK Licensed trades. 

I have the tan Umarex one and the polymer feels great and the ebb is fun, though can be easily decommissioned if desired.

I watched a video of a chap who has two of these (one full size assault rifle with a C-mag), and to my surprise he's had no trouble with the EBB breaking over a couple of years of ownership.  So that's actually quite a bonus!

If I go ahead with this, I'll be sure to try to peel off the Specna trades as they don't look great to my eyes (and I'm quite happy to paint the gun if that doesn't go so well!)

4 hours ago, BigAl said:

The Specna is not an Ares clone, it is an Ares.

Pretty sure S&T is the OEM for the Specna G36s. The also OEM some of the 'sportline' H&K licensed guns for Umarex along with  the ARX-160.

5 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

There's a Specna at Patrolbase.  It has EBB which I presume will break pretty quickly, but it does have the advantage of an ETU (so presumably I can (ab)use it with an 11.1v lipo) and a quick change spring, which are both very useful, I think.  And it's a sensible £150 too.

No ETU in Specna guns - it's shit marketing talk for 'microswitch trigger'.  Full breakdown of the Specna G36 internals can be found here

WE (yes that WE) make an AEG G36 that looks pretty nice available here for £170 - bog standard V3 internals but better plastics and construction compared to JG et al.

1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

S&T

^^ That's what I have believed, iirc there was a brief period the non sportline Umerex became the S&T too, had some quality issues and then went back to Ares, quite believable the trades could be underneath Specna ones if it was a run intended for Umerex... or they were too cheap to change the molds, same goes if they're just the sportline models not branded as Umerex HK too.

The WE one is not too common, but I've heard is fantastic, basically the best of the Ares (externals and better replica / more real steel compatibility) with the normal V3, at that price i'd go with the everytime, extra cool points it's the K length too, and not the typical G36C.

It's pretty tricky to buy a bad G36 these days, the 'worst' replica for external quality is the JG 608 models, but the internals are a tank, will run forever, everything else is basically an improvment. Best TM spec externals imo is the Classic Army, but the internals kinda cheese, basic V3 though so easy to tech. There's a few oddballs like the G&G and ICS which have some unique bits, but are still pretty great replicas. 

Edited by mp5a4

Oh blimey.  I've got a lot more than I bargained for out of this thread!

Does the Specna's microswitch trigger still mean the thing is safe for 11.1v?  I'm not really worried about the fancy burst modes etc, it's more about not wanting to have to crack the gearbox open to replace the trigger unit than anything else...

Also, a quick change spring and the EBB have quite a lot of appeal to me.

The WE may have great externals but I won't miss what I can't put my hands on, plus it's a bit more cash, with fewer features.  

Ok, I do like the idea of great build quality and realism... But enough to overrule the Specna...? Unless I can get my hands on both to compare, I'm not sure it can win.

BigAl thanks for the offer but I don't really want the built-in sight, would rather have the lower rail for my own sights.

Edit: I replied to a YT review of the Specna asking about the trigger, and got an answer.  Ok, so it's not got a MOSFET or any protection so I should just run 7.4v in there.  Disappointing.

And I've just watched a video of the WE.  Yes it does look very nicely made, but the reviewer complained it puffed up his batteries as the motor was too demanding.

Guess I've got some more thinking to do 🥴

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
11 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I already bought an M4 adapter off the classifieds here... I've got too many STANAG mags of various types to want to go for yet another set, so will that likely fit anything I buy or are they manufacturer-specific?

I have a BattleAxe magwell adapter in a JG G36, it seems "airsoft universal" in that it very nearly fitted and just needed about 10 minutes with a file on the inside and outside to get the magwell into the gun, and M4 mags into the magwell.  Now they feed better than G36 midcaps ever did, although there's a fair few inside the adapter feed that will never feed into the hop - I've got into the habit of flipping it upside down when changing mags.

I'd agree that £180 is waaaaay too much for the JG.  Looks like PatrolBase were flogging them for an absolute bargain £88 but are of course out of stock.  I can't speak to the other makes, or even how the JGs perform now, as I bought mine from an earlier batch with an adjustable spring tensioner which is super useful for tuning between sites and BB weights, but seems to be an idea that's come and gone.  Stock performance was OK, and the consistency with a Maple Leaf 60 degree and ZCI barrel is fine for CQB and OK (but not perfect) for woodland. With a Big Dragon M140, 11.1V and a Perun AB++ it'll burst fire as fast (or faster) than the mags can feed.  As a point of personal perverse pride, I've never opened the gearbox, even to shim or re-grease, just spooged some silicone up the nozzle and some chainsaw oil into the shell - you can solder a mosfet to the trigger tabs outside the shell.  It Just Workstm.

If I were buying now, I'd probably feature-whore out on the "Specna" for the QC spring and the EBB.

Thanks Roger, very good post.
BBGuns4Less (I know, I know) has the Specna down at £135 The temptation grows!

But...

You surely know my great love for my Double Eagle M906, I really can't believe I've overlooked this beauty!

image.png.045c7d09bb5eb7b48aa12ddcdca73884.png

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

11 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

The double-ended dildo of "humiliation kills".

I think this little beast might be ultimate humiliater...

image.png.d8d3364fdbefb479a5d0b3a70a429cfc.png

In fact it would sooooo get people's kink on, I'll change my name to Mr Whiplash and charge 'em real cash money for getting shot by it.

4 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

image.png.045c7d09bb5eb7b48aa12ddcdca73884.png

That's so weong but I kinda like it, might buy on for S&G's and camo it up add it to my HK wall. Lol

Edited by BigAl

11 minutes ago, BigAl said:

That's so weong but I kinda like it, might buy on for S&G's and camo it up add it to my HK wall. Lol

They claim it shoots at 250-300fps, out to 40m.   Camo it up and skirmish it properly :)

At a £135 I can't see the Specna getting knocked off it's perch at the top of the "most favoured" tree.  I just need to time it right so the wife doesn't get too upset :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well, damnit.

This popped up in the Action Hobbies boneyard, so I bought it

https://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/products/gg-g36c-airsoft-rifle-used/

£100 for a G&G 

It is ex two tone but seems to have been done quite well, and is allegedly shooting very nicely, so sod it, why not.  I told myself it'll be a good gun for when my daughter comes to Special Ops with me (studiously ignores the big pile of other guns in the corner)

• Supporters
On 17/01/2023 at 19:03, Cannonfodder said:

His name is Robert Paulson

His name is Robert Paulson

Screenshot_20230117-185904.thumb.png.f3dade35520ec1af56a4479cee673d86.png

Aka "Big Titty Bob" 😜

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.