Would “muc-off wet lube” work for the metal parts in a 1911 and why / why not?

bitofanidiot42

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

7 hours ago, bitofanidiot42 said:

I’m going to get some proper lubricant for the gun anyway, just a little curious.

Also what are your opinions on silicone lubricant not being good, especially the points this guy makes. Don’t really understand it all.

He needs to speak up (I’m in London, they need to smooth the tube tracks, and have 1990s ear drums etc)

For the muc off I doubt it is suitable for gun gears as it’s intended for more heavy duty bike gears in dirty muddy conditions 

For the video on silicone lube he confirms in the notes that he’s learned more since then 

Different lubes have different properties and different parts have different needs.

Then add on your servicing regime

If you strip and clean constantly you can use a different system then if you are going to do so less often

The wrong lube that isn’t cleaned off regularly enough will collect the tiniest amounts of dust & grit and will grind away at your parts

It will be best to use a combination of oil and grease on different parts, and at a suitable viscosity that’s going to move smoothly but also stay sufficiently in

place on the parts - (lube helps against friction but if it’s too fluid then it ‘flies’ away and you have bare metal/plastic again)

Traditional oils kill o rings, so you will lose efficiency and risk leaks.  

Silicone doesn’t 

But every type and every recipie have their own advantages and disadvantages

Edited by Tommikka

I use Muc Off (sparingly) on the bolt on an SRS. Works well enough, but needs reasonably regular cleaning because it picks up dirt and grit. Partly this is due to the SRS bolt being permanently exposed (unlike VSR) and partly because where I'm playing at the moment has a lot of dust/dirt floating about.

On 09/07/2022 at 11:44, Hatchet said:

I use Muc Off (sparingly) on the bolt on an SRS. Works well enough, but needs reasonably regular cleaning because it picks up dirt and grit. Partly this is due to the SRS bolt being permanently exposed (unlike VSR) and partly because where I'm playing at the moment has a lot of dust/dirt floating about.

So it would work alright in the slide if it is cleaned and reapplied often, I guess?

• Supporters
13 hours ago, bitofanidiot42 said:

So it would work alright in the slide if it is cleaned and reapplied often, I guess?

I'd suggest a dry lube like PTFE so as not to attract the crap in the first place.

I'd agree that silicone *spray* is no good. It's the devil.

Silicon lubricant has very specific use cases and for things like o-rings it's great, but is best applied sparingly as a grease, and specifically to those parts that need it. Its not good for high friction components.

If you get silicone on similar metal to metal bearing parts can be worse than having no lubricant at all.

I'm also firmly of the opinion that dry and wet lubes do not mix, so if you do decide to put graphite (do not) or Lablube in your gun, don't then follow it up with oil or grease that then forms a nasty paste in the inner workings. Much like you would get by  coating the inside of your RIF with silicon vapour and then taking it skirmishing.

But really all lubricants should be applied sparingly, after addressing as many other causes of friction as possible. Fettled properly, there should be little need for lubricant in all but a few places.

Lube isn't a replacement for remedial engineering and rarely 'fixes' anything in itself.

• Supporters
On 10/07/2022 at 22:31, bitofanidiot42 said:

Sure. If you ask X people "wut am best loob 4 slyd tho?" you'll get X+1 opinions (someone will change their mind half way through).  No need to over-think it, just use whatever slippery stuff you have, but keep it clean

Coming from an airgun enthusiasts perspective I'm a big fan of high Moly content grease personally. Slippery AF and has a high flashpoint so great for piston seals etc. Again best used sparingly and buffed into metal bearing surfaces rather than slathered on.

• 1 month later...

Friction testing show Techt gun drops to be about the lowest friction lube. Las'ts ages and is very good. It's all I've used for last 4 years

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.