First gun - Help me choose a M4

Dems

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all!

Looking to start Airsoft at some point this year and have been looking up what would be a good starter gun would be.

I see alot of G&G recommendations but at the same time there are people that say that the combat machine range has been surpassed by the likes of Specna Arms In both technology and build quality.

So In my mind I have narrowed down my selection to either a G&G CMF-16 or a Specna Arms Edge 2.0.

Would love to hear the opinion of others regarding which one would be better or even first hand experiences with either guns.

Many thanks!

I'm guessing you haven't played yet. If so I recommend you rent for the first few games, as this'll help you to get an idea of what suits your playing style. Also it means you get to see what others are using. Don't be afraid to ask about what others are using as most airsofters love to show off their guns

Also if you get your site membership first you won't need to get a two tone (assuming you're over 18)

15 minutes ago, Dems said:

I see alot of G&G recommendations but at the same time there are people that say that the combat machine range has been surpassed by the likes of Specna Arms In both technology and build quality.

Umm...technology yes. Build quality?.....no. I would take the G&G plastic body over any Edge metal body and if out-of-the-box reliability was a primary concern, well, I would also choose the G&G for that too. (Source: I have a Specna Edge 1.0 and a G&G CM16 SRS).

QC for Specnas has been notoriously poor (although many would say it's improving). On paper, the specs on the Specna Edge 2.0 look amazing. Reality is, you'll either end up with a good gun that works decent enough out of the box. Or you'll end up with a complete shit-show assembled by the Friday afternoon shift. I suppose you could say that for any Airsoft gun, but Specnas had a much higher lemon rate for some time**.

My advice? Go to an airsoft shop (if you can) and fondle as many guns as you can. You will soon start to understand what RIFs make your bollocks tingle with excitement. Let's face it, 90% of RIF purchases are not 'sensible' choices, rather they are derived from what people find 'coolest'.

** The Specna fanbois will be along shortly to tell you that their gun is amazeballs.

Indeed I haven't played yet. Was definitely on the to-do list to rent and get ukara :lol:.

Yeah well over 18. Was interested in my teens before but didn't have a means to travel to any sites around London.

Will definitely ask around when I finally get to going to Reforger

7 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Umm...technology yes. Build quality?.....no. I would take the G&G plastic body over any Edge metal body and if out-of-the-box reliability was a primary concern, well, I would also choose the G&G for that too. (Source: I have a Specna Edge 1.0 and a G&G CM16 SRS).

QC for Specnas has been notoriously poor (although many would say it's improving). On paper, the specs on the Specna Edge 2.0 look amazing. Reality is, you'll either end up with a good gun that works decent enough out of the box. Or you'll end up with a complete shit-show assembled by the Friday afternoon shift. I suppose you could say that for any Airsoft gun, but Specnas had a much higher lemon rate for some time**.

My advice? Go to an airsoft shop (if you can) and fondle as many guns as you can. You will soon start to understand what RIFs make your bollocks tingle with excitement. Let's face it, 90% of RIF purchases are not 'sensible' choices, rather they are derived from what people find 'coolest'.

** The Specna fanbois will be along shortly to tell you that their gun is amazeballs.

Haha thank you! I will definitely try to fiddle with some guns once I get closer to purchasing.

Would definitely try to avoid a Lemon. Would you say it is necessary to get a brand new gun reshimmed just to avoid bad QC? Even if from G&G

I'd also consider a double eagle M4 variety of some sort. I have 3 DE's ( 2 M4s and a sub machine gun) 

Great guns built well and seem very reliable so far. 

I have a specna edge 1.0 and it is awful and the metal body just feels cheap. But that's my opinion. 

Edited by Stevobeavo

2 hours ago, Dems said:

Would you say it is necessary to get a brand new gun reshimmed just to avoid bad QC? Even if from G&G

If a new rif shows signs of being badly shimmed, I'd take it straight back, especially a common type of M4.

My G&G M4 has never needed* to be taken apart, although it was my first rif and it's always been the most used.  

*ZCI Plastic rotary hop, forgotten brand barrel, and ML hop + rubber.  

With airsoft very few manufacturer offer consistent quality control. For everyone that has nothing but praise for a brand/gun there are an equal number of people that will never touch that same brand/gun again. Buy the gun that ticks the boxes for you, look after it but expect it will break and if its after the first time you use it, the warranty means nothing. Airsoft is not a cheap hobby. After you get your first gun plan to get your next back up gun.

• Supporters

What @Speedbird_666said.  G&G Combat Machines have been around since forever ago, and while they offer very few features, all the parts work well together.  Plastic, yes, but a really nice, light but strong plastic that feels decent in the hand.

However, with the new prices on the G&Gs it's becoming harder to recommend them.  Specnas, Double Eagles M9xx, and Lancer Tacticals offer way more features. The Edge 2.0 in particular offers good value for money over fitting an aftermarket Aster to just about any base gun.  But then the Double Eagle Fire Control System has some (not all) of the same features for a fair bit less money.

You'll be unlikely to regret a G&G CM16 purchase, but the answer is that there's no right answer, and whatever puts a smile on your face is the right gun for you.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.