TM G18c GBB - top slide cracking

Serel

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, i really need help, i bought a TM G18c GBB and i havent used it that much and the top slide started to crack om the edge, i looked everywhere for a better slide maybe metal or even a replacement one, and i cant seem to find any, can anyone help me?

if i did find any they were silly prices, which i might as well go and buy a new gun.

Does anyone know where i can get one from or if anyone is selling.

appreciate the help.

have you checked the sales section on the forum or put a wanted add up?. TM glocks appear to be out of production while they sot out an issue with the newer generation glocks. Also what gas have you been using in it?

19 hours ago, Serel said:

if i did find any they were silly prices, which i might as well go and buy a new gun.

Surely the ones you were looking at were CNC aluminium rather than plastic or pot metal? But yeah, these are prone to that when using strong gas and full-auto.

Where is it cracked? Do you have a photo? I'm guessing either yours might have had a small manufacturing defect which caused it to crack or its suffered an impact whilst you've been playing (I how of a few broken rifs from the player running up against barricades or falling).

I've had my TM G18 for almost 3 years now and it's still going strong. I run it on propane but hardly ever on full auto. I'll easily put a few hundred rounds through it on a game day so I can vouch for its robustness.

I would definitely have a look in classifieds for a replacement upper. Either that or araldite

On 20/02/2022 at 16:57, BigStew said:

have you checked the sales section on the forum or put a wanted add up?. TM glocks appear to be out of production while they sot out an issue with the newer generation glocks. Also what gas have you been using in it?

Ive only been using the “we gas the green bottle and only home use, ive not been to any games with it and i barely use it.

On 20/02/2022 at 18:30, rocketdogbert said:

What gas are you using? Green or stronger will smash it to pieces 

Normal we green gas

On 21/02/2022 at 11:17, Cr0-Magnon said:

Surely the ones you were looking at were CNC aluminium rather than plastic or pot metal? But yeah, these are prone to that when using strong gas and full-auto.

I mean some where the price of the gun or more but if i can find a metal or aluminium for about upt £80 i wouldnt mind

On 21/02/2022 at 13:43, MAX DICKER said:

Where is it cracked? Do you have a photo? I'm guessing either yours might have had a small manufacturing defect which caused it to crack or its suffered an impact whilst you've been playing (I how of a few broken rifs from the player running up against barricades or falling).

I've had my TM G18 for almost 3 years now and it's still going strong. I run it on propane but hardly ever on full auto. I'll easily put a few hundred rounds through it on a game day so I can vouch for its robustness.

I would definitely have a look in classifieds for a replacement upper. Either that or araldite

Mine has only been home use, and its cracked towards the front part of the gun, ive only used normal we gas, its barely been used, here and there i take it out to play about and thats it

049B4C59-66E4-4B22-A258-B23E8F4C58A3.jpeg

1 hour ago, Serel said:

Ive only been using the “we gas the green bottle and only home use, ive not been to any games with it and i barely use it.

Normal we green gas

I mean some where the price of the gun or more but if i can find a metal or aluminium for about upt £80 i wouldnt mind

Mine has only been home use, and its cracked towards the front part of the gun, ive only used normal we gas, its barely been used, here and there i take it out to play about and thats it

yeah that's a typical crack of a slide cycling too hard. the gun is not designed to use Green gas the effect will be worse in doors due to a higher ambient temperature increase the gas power especially if you are dry firing. 

Edited by BigStew

28 minutes ago, BigStew said:

yeah that's a typical crack of a slide cycling too hard. the gun is not designed to use Green gas the effect will be worse in doors due to a higher ambient temperature increase the gas power especially if you are dry firing. 

Yeahh 😕 i dont know what to do now like i was thinking if i can find a metal one so that it doesnt crack easy

42 minutes ago, Serel said:

Yeahh 😕 i dont know what to do now like i was thinking if i can find a metal one so that it doesnt crack easy

or put another plastic slide on and use lower powered gas

5 hours ago, Serel said:

Normal we green gas

Wow that sucks. I'd say a manufacturing defect,  I've put tens of thousands of rounds through mine and have no cracks.

1 hour ago, MAX DICKER said:

Wow that sucks. I'd say a manufacturing defect,  I've put tens of thousands of rounds through mine and have no cracks.

nah it using over pressured gas. People keep saying TM will handle green gas fine, they don't if you haven' broken a TM  using over pressured gas you are just lucky.

1 hour ago, BigStew said:

nah it using over pressured gas. People keep saying TM will handle green gas fine, they don't if you haven' broken a TM  using over pressured gas you are just lucky.

I’ve owned dozens of different TM pistols, used hard in Practical Pistol competitions, lots of very rapid fire.

Only two have ever failed on green gas. The original G19 pulls the slide off the hammer rails, and the G18 on full auto smashes the front of the slide off.

1 hour ago, BigStew said:

13 years of luck using green gas on many TM's then.

Perhaps OP has knocked or dropped his gun

On 21/02/2022 at 13:43, MAX DICKER said:

I run it on propane but hardly ever on full auto.

That'll probably have something to do with it 

Yeah, granted full auto probably reduces the lifespan of a G18, but I maintain that TM pistols are absolutely fine with green gas and OP's pistol was either a defective piece or has been damaged.

15 hours ago, MAX DICKER said:

Yeah, granted full auto probably reduces the lifespan of a G18, but I maintain that TM pistols are absolutely fine with green gas and OP's pistol was either a defective piece or has been damaged.

Survivers bias. My team mate loves 5-7s but for some reason he only uses propylene.  He gets a year and a half ish before he kills the gun he's on his seventh gun. He accepts this to get the advantage he belives higher powered gas gives him.

Most of the time TM can handle higher power gas but they are not designed to and you a wearing the gun out prematurely. people in the UK get a pass due to lower ambient temperatures compared to Japan but I have seen plenty of people looking for their pistol slide because it was much warmer than expected.

• Supporters

I guess this is a good a thread as any to derail by asking for recommendations for cheap TM Glock 17 plastic slides.

I'm pondering downgrade/realgrading the pot-metal slide on my AA R17 as it was struggling a bit in the cold last weekend on green gas. But at £45 for what's probably a plastic slide from Eagle 6, versus £55 for an entire plastic R17 (including a magazine) at Bespoke, it's a bit of a no-brainer to dual wield. ;) 

6 hours ago, BigStew said:

Survivers bias. My team mate loves 5-7s but for some reason he only uses propylene.  He gets a year and a half ish before he kills the gun he's on his seventh gun. He accepts this to get the advantage he belives higher powered gas gives him.

Most of the time TM can handle higher power gas but they are not designed to and you a wearing the gun out prematurely. people in the UK get a pass due to lower ambient temperatures compared to Japan but I have seen plenty of people looking for their pistol slide because it was much warmer than expected.

OK, let me ameliorate my position; TM's are generally fine with green gas, and whilst they will not last forever, higher power gasses will degrade their lifespan. In all my years, I've not had first hand experience of slides flying off, though I've heard of it happening. And it sounds like this is something you've come across. I see this being a rare occurrence.

I roughly counted how many rounds I fired yesterday, it was over 500 and that was fairly average for me.

I think my point is that I think the fear that if you put green gas in your TM the slide will end up in orbit is overblown.

I still think OP's pistol was defective or damaged.

How civilised 🙂

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.