F2000 paint job work-in-progress

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been trying to come up with an interesting camo pattern for my F2000 that either rips off / pays homage to the Battlefield 4 game's patterns, or is just something different from the typical rattle-can DPM camo.

So I've got this:

image.thumb.png.3d16cc585edb0988c7cb87423c9716cf.png

It's looking something like how I imagined.   
The cat finds it interesting - maybe he's getting high off the fumes!

Obviously there's still masking tape on the grip, trigger, mag release, and the upper is just aligned to give a general idea. (In the game, the upper remains black, except for the charging handle)

I need to add or reshape a few more blocks on this side.  There's still a lot of blank space on the other side to do.
Also there are some paint overruns that need touching up.

The Halfords green paint is looking too grey, I will probably want to find a lighter green to add in (something just a bit duller than the green masking tape)

The question is, does it look good? Or should I abandon it?  It's hard work taping out the areas and re-working where the paint runs under the tape, so if it's not going to impress anyone on the site, there's no point carrying on ;)

Whaddya reckon? 

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters

i hope that's the lighting and not spray paint on the carpet :mellow:

concept wise it's looking good, thinking maybe the tan base and the red flecks are a tad bright?

could expand the shapes fill out the pattern a bit more to sort the tan, or it'll maybe come in with a bit of wearing in.

25 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i hope that's the lighting and not spray paint on the carpet :mellow:

concept wise it's looking good, thinking maybe the tan base and the red flecks are a tad bright?

could expand the shapes fill out the pattern a bit more to sort the tan, or it'll maybe come in with a bit of wearing in.

Yeah, it's the lighting!  All the painting done outdoors or in the garage. 

Wifey wouldn't mind if I ruined that carpet though ... it's shagged 

(Badoom-tish.   I'm still here all week etc)

The red shows up a bit bright in that photo, it is a satin finish rather than matte which doesn't help.  It was sort-of intentional to go with a 'statement' colour for highlights... but something a bit more claret would've worked better.

Here's a mock-up of some extra green added to tie it together... (darker greens are available at all good retail outlets)
image.png.7a12aa0249950c4e73053717659d4747.png

(Putting on the masking tape for that lot wouldn't be much fun though)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Here's a mock-up of some extra green added to tie it together... (darker greens are available at all good retail outlets

hmm, not really sure that works, kinda mixing the styles.

i'm not all that into the painting side of things, but maybe if there's an overcoat that'd darken everything down?

2 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

hmm, not really sure that works, kinda mixing the styles.

i'm not all that into the painting side of things, but maybe if there's an overcoat that'd darken everything down?

I'd have the separating lines of tan still there (though thinner than most of the others), it was just easier to use Paint.Net's Re-Colour feature to slap it together quickly.

As for an overcoat... yes I could get a translucent black or brown and cover the whole thing to tone it down... so that's a good idea and I'll think about that too :)

Edit:  Here's a pic with everything in place, all the tape off, most of the annoying overruns fixed... and in natural light.  
I've got a skirmish on Saturday, I'm going to play that game with it as-is, see how it fits in / sticks out like a sore thumb at the site.

image.thumb.png.23f3395fc1660e94a24d5a54000f8bfa.png

I have to say the greens and browns come out a lot better in the sunlight, I'm feeling a bit more content with it now

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
New pic

• Supporters

Yeah the greens/browns defo looking better in the light.

Still think a general darkening might help it out.

But the patterning for sure looks good, and i'm liking the preservation of details like the grip/trigger/upper/screw heads rather than the "fuck it, spray the whole thing" approach you so often see.

• Supporters

Now I REALLY like that ! Well done good sir 👍

11 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Yeah the greens/browns defo looking better in the light.

Still think a general darkening might help it out.

But the patterning for sure looks good, and i'm liking the preservation of details like the grip/trigger/upper/screw heads rather than the "fuck it, spray the whole thing" approach you so often see.

I'll be crawling around in the mud and leaves on Saturday, let's see how it looks with some grime on it :D

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'll be crawling around in the mud and leaves on Saturday, let's see how it looks with some grime on it :D

aye bit of natural weathering will work wonders.

what little painting i've done has ended up looking a lot better after it's been worn in a while.

52 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

aye bit of natural weathering will work wonders.

what little painting i've done has ended up looking a lot better after it's been worn in a while.

I'm wondering if there's a good way to accelerate the process which won't involve me getting it messy on purpose - and potentially pushing dirt into the innards of the gun.

I gave it an experimental rub with the rough side of a cheapo sponge brillo pad, that did feck-all really, though I found the red paint is a little more likely to smear into the surrounding colour... Not really keen on the idea of ending up with a gun with "a hint of pink" about it :D   

I could water down some brown paint and wipe that over the gun, and may be lightly run over that with a pan-scourer... but I'm not feeling that brave just yet! 
Hmmm... I could paint part of one of my toolboxes, try it on that...

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I'm wondering if there's a good way to accelerate the process which won't involve me getting it messy on purpose - and potentially pushing dirt into the innards of the gun.

i'm afraid i don't really know.

an awful lot of intentional "weathered" looks tend to end up not looking right to me, seems to be a hard art to master.

tbh, just using the thing for a while is how i'd go about it.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'm afraid i don't really know.

an awful lot of intentional "weathered" looks tend to end up not looking right to me, seems to be a hard art to master.

tbh, just using the thing for a while is how i'd go about it.

Totally agree on this , a couple of yrs ago all the Geardo’s where giving their guns a ‘to Afghan and back’ fake dusting to look like it had been used in a desert . Hand on heart I NEVER saw one that actually looked like that ! They just looked fecking terrible the lot of them ! 🤦‍♂️

takes all sorts I suppose ? 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for all the kind comments and good ideas, I really appreciate it 👍

I'll make sure I don't baby it when I'm out on Saturday, and if it picks up the grime then all well and good ☺️

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.