WW1 RIF

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looking at doing a WW1 game in a couple of months.  If push comes to shove, I could paint the stock green and add a heat shield to a synthetic p/a shotgun, but...  

I would however like a bolt action, or at least prefer something a bit more immediately WW1-ish for the pics of me looking heroic/picking my nose in the manner of a Bolshevik volunteer.  What are the best options for practical performance please?   I don't fancy having to tune something like crazy, have ejecting shells, or have silly inaccuracy.  

A Mauser C96 carbine seems inaccurate from what I've seen.  The  shell ejecting K98 is out, and searching on here it seems as though the Mosin is not an option?  A practical Mosin would be the best option tbh.  Does one exist?   The S&T SMLE is bloody expensive and out of stock.  Winchester lever actions and semis are not made.  

Anyone recommend a decent K98?

• Supporters

There's the pps mosin, i've ran the spring version and its not half bad.

Mag will strip the skin from yer thumb when reloading and the front sight is maybe a tad weak but apart from that its ok

PPS do a gas kar98  don't know if it'd any good probably a g&g clone(there is a g&g in the sales forum at the moment) There is a vsr based KAR made by snow wolf you also have the double bell Springfield 1903.

Edited by BigStew

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, BigStew said:

you also have the double bell Springfield 1903.

i did meet a 1903 in the local brick and mortar a while back (read: several years) and it felt pretty nice (dunno what brand it was mind). good thing with that option is you'll more easily be able to get an appropriate sidearm compared to trying to find a webley/nagant.

couldn't say what brand it was but seemed solid enough.

the only thing with the gas variants is they seem to run short bolt throws, which i'm personally not too much of a fan of.

PPS K98k is excellent but pricey.  The Snow Wolf K98k I have but haven't ran it yet, seems decent enough.  Snow Wolf/S&T are doing a Mosin at some point soon.  The PPS Mosin comes in both gas and spring and are ok-ish.  The trigger sears are made of cheese though and its 50/50 if they break or not. Best option I would say is the Snow Wolf K98k.  Or........the S&T MP18 if you can find one.

Edited by EvilMonkee

Following as I am looking to try and find a reasonably priced Webley to a company my Lee enfield in a ww1 loadout I'm trying to piece together, so if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it.

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

Or........the S&T MP18 if you can find one.

Onlyairsoft have a snow wolf mp18 on the shelf, and it's listed on their website.  I'm sure it's in their stevenage shop last time I looked.

https://www.onlyairsoft.com/product/snow-wolf-mp-18-aeg-smg-real-wood-stock/

Edited by Spartan09
Typo

I picked up a WELL Webley from the boneyard on patrolbase a while ago, trigger doesn't return fully after firing and it also fires hot

I'd be willing to part with it if you're interested, msg me if you are and I'll send some pics etc

18 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

Following as I am looking to try and find a reasonably priced Webley to a company my Lee enfield in a ww1 loadout I'm trying to piece together, so if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it.

Onlyairsoft have a snow wolf mp18 on the shelf, and it's listed on their website.  I'm sure it's in their stevenage shop last time I looked.

49 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

Gunfire have them for a lot cheaper

Thanks everyone.  I've got some serious food for thought.  

Given the price of mp18s I am wondering if there is a known fix for the Mosin trigger sears?  I could have a replacement machined up but obviously not for small change.

26 minutes ago, Tactical Pith Helmet said:

Thanks everyone.  I've got some serious food for thought.  

Given the price of mp18s I am wondering if there is a known fix for the Mosin trigger sears?  I could have a replacement machined up but obviously not for small change.

is this the part you mean? I was looking at a mosin a while ago but it fell through and someone told me this part would more than likely give out

ka-pt-12.jpg

Edited by strykerles

• Supporters

That part does look familiar, think it's the retainer for the spring guide, not had one of them mosins that far apart to be sure though.

Wonder if perhaps it's one of those "its fine stock but drop a 2.3j spring in there and it'll go" kinda jobs?

4 hours ago, strykerles said:

is this the part you mean?

I doubt it looking at it.  Sears are usually smooth faced.  I think that the Hamster is right (yet again), they look more like spring guide retainers.  

You never know though without stripping one down.  The horizontal faces on the two half rounds look like they may connect.  

Anyhow...  I've dropped onto a wooden stocked Snow Wolf K98.  Thanks @EvilMonkee for the info.  I read up tonight and some Soviet units were issued captured K98s, so my WWII loadout is complete weapon wise too.  

спасибо товарищ!

16 hours ago, strykerles said:

is this the part you mean? I was looking at a mosin a while ago but it fell through and someone told me this part would more than likely give out

ka-pt-12.jpg

Yep thats the piece.  It is only for the spring version, it wont fit the gas version.  I bought it for the gas version I had and had to have the workshop at work fashion a plug for the hole as it was too big.  It holds the striker back, 100% NOT a spring guide, the trigger basically lifts the smaller piece allowing the striker to fall forward through both holes.  Weird design

Edited by EvilMonkee

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

Yep thats the piece.  It is only for the spring version, it wont fit the gas version.  I bought it for the gas version I had and had to have the workshop at work fashion a plug for the hole as it was too big.  It holds the striker back, 100% NOT a spring guide, the trigger basically lifts the smaller piece allowing the striker to fall forward.  Weird design

Even though you've explained it i'm still struggling to visualise it :P

Definately a weird design, i figured it was a generic vsr style sear in them (like i said, never stripped one down that far as i was only going for the hop rubber)

The two holes dont normally align, the trigger basically pushes the smaller one up to align with the bigger hole.  The striker is an arrow head shape that sits in the bigger hole and is held back by this non alignment.  Pull the trigger, aligns, bang.  The issue arises when the two pieces break or one of them does.  Then you have a dead, hard to fix gun unless you get something made.

The issue even with the replacement steel piece is that the hole is too big for a gas striker, so I had a plug made for the hole with another hole bored into it of the correct size.  Probably the most solid Mosin out there, wish I hadn't sold it now...

The interesting thing with this rifle is that I *think* it should be possible to mate the Wingun CO2 version lower receiver with the PPS hop unit which would solve the flaws inherent in both 

Edited by EvilMonkee

• Supporters
55 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

The two holes dont normally align, the trigger basically pushes the smaller one up to align with the bigger hole.  The striker is an arrow head shape that sits in the bigger hole and is held back by this non alignment.  Pull the trigger, aligns, bang.  The issue arises when the two pieces break or one of them does.  Then you have a dead, hard to fix gun unless you get something made.

yeah that's kinda how i was thinking it was working. doesn't look like the worst component in the world to replicate at least.

one of the blessings of the flat 1j limit is stuff like this tends not to be as much of an issue.

Interesting stuff on that bizarre trigger set up!

Thanks to @Tacklefor the heads up on the MP18.  The thing went before I even PM'd the seller.

New pew below.  Nice smooth bolt on first impression.  Purchase of budyonovka is imminent.  

20220128_235107.jpg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.