R-hop on the Cheap?

LazzurusMan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, my initial question is this:

Do I have to use silicone tube to make an r-hop patch?

I can't get less than 1m of silicone tubing in the right size, and I haven't got a clue what my inner barrel is so I can't get one of those pre cut patches made for my barrel.

However, I can get some aquarium air tubing locally. Would that do the job?

13 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

any reason you specifically need an rhop?

they're a pain in the ass to get working right and don't offer much over the current crop of fancy hops like the ml macaron.

Lots of good reviews I suppose?

I'm going for an s hop anyway as I couldn't find any silicone tubing in the right size. However, I have got some 6mm outer diameter tubing and ordered some sugru.

• Supporters
25 minutes ago, LazzurusMan said:

Lots of good reviews I suppose?

I'm going for an s hop anyway as I couldn't find any silicone tubing in the right size. However, I have got some 6mm outer diameter tubing and ordered some sugru.

tbh all the rhop really offers is the ability to have a softer compound patch with a harder compound feedlip, but outside of high fps builds slinging heavy ammo that's not really all that applicable.

the s hop from the accounts i've heard doesn't seem to wear so well, never tried it myself but iirc @Rogerborg gave it a go recently, perhaps he can shed some light on how his is holding up.

the contact patch for the likes of the macaron is basically the same as an rhop anyway, and it's a hell of a lot easier to work with.

10 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh all the rhop really offers is the ability to have a softer compound patch with a harder compound feedlip, but outside of high fps builds slinging heavy ammo that's not really all that applicable.

the s hop from the accounts i've heard doesn't seem to wear so well, never tried it myself but iirc @Rogerborg gave it a go recently, perhaps he can shed some light on how his is holding up.

the contact patch for the likes of the macaron is basically the same as an rhop anyway, and it's a hell of a lot easier to work with.

Ok, well I'm still going to give the s hop a go, but I'll probably pick up a ml macron bucking too.

I suppose the main reason for the s hop, and in fact all my upgrades, are to shut up my friend who acts like he knows everything about Airsoft, but doesn't understand why I want to swap from .2 to .28 BBS.

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, LazzurusMan said:

Ok, well I'm still going to give the s hop a go, but I'll probably pick up a ml macron bucking too.

yeah no harm in the odd bit of tinkering see how it works out. as always keep a good backup handy (says the guy who often doesn't do that :P )

3 minutes ago, LazzurusMan said:

I suppose the main reason for the s hop, and in fact all my upgrades, are to shut up my friend who acts like he knows everything about Airsoft, but doesn't understand why I want to swap from .2 to .28 BBS.

i wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy the salt build up when he gets annoyed that "folk aint calling hits" when he's just not ranging out.

even better when you can go "who you shooting at?" then tag them with a single round :P

13 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

yeah no harm in the odd bit of tinkering see how it works out. as always keep a good backup handy (says the guy who often doesn't do that :P )

i wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy the salt build up when he gets annoyed that "folk aint calling hits" when he's just not ranging out.

even better when you can go "who you shooting at?" then tag them with a single round :P

That's the dream

Also, the Maple Leaf MR hop is supposed to mimic an r-hop patch, but it's a £10 rubber. Pair it with an omega nub and it's basically the same thing. I've converted totally away from r-hop patches myself and swear by all my Maple Leaf setups.

36 minutes ago, Impulse said:

Also, the Maple Leaf MR hop is supposed to mimic an r-hop patch, but it's a £10 rubber. Pair it with an omega nub and it's basically the same thing. I've converted totally away from r-hop patches myself and swear by all my Maple Leaf setups.

Mr hop and omega nub. I'll remember that.

For now I'll be trying a s-hop and eraser nub. Maybe if next payday is good enough I'll treat myself to a new hop unit (one with the big wheel at the back so I can adjust with gloves on), Mr hop and omega nub.

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

They're dead simple to do, just fill the barrel, spooge  some silicone (sugru, plumbers, I used RTV) into the window, scrape off the excess, and done.

However...

I used a 6mm drill bit packed with PTFE tape to fill the barrel.  Nope.  The RTV protruded very slightly into it, but that was enough to make it sky 0.32g even with no hop - I mean, with the hop arm actually removed, and just the pressure from the flat-hopped bucking rubber on the patch.

So if you're going to do it, I'd get the barrel packed as tightly as you can, and leave the silicone to cure for some time before removing the packing.

In the end, I scraped it out and went back to a Maple Leaf macaron 60 degree, which does indeed work just fine.

That said, I'm going to try again on my backup-backup-CYMA and see if I can get it working next time.

• Supporters
21 hours ago, LazzurusMan said:

Honestly, if you're using 0.28 the flat hop, rhop, shop et al are probably not worth the effort. They're all designed to help lift heavy ammo at high FPS and originated among the bush wookie crowd. The Maple Leaf rubbers are way better value, especially when you consider that an shop or rhop will wear out REALLY quickly by comparison.

To get Rhop right takes A LOT of trial and error to get the whole process clean, if it isnt perfect inside and out youll always have strange fliers at best and jams etc at worst.

Im not saying dont do it but the reason all the people doing vids of it make it look easy is because they have serious hours behind them to have gotten the whole process down.

To start with to make it worth while you need an 8mm window machined into the barrel versus the normal 5mm one.

Then you need a patch which perfectly marries the inner barrel dia and the window mating faces.

If youre happy to do all that then youll get a great result but its painfull getting there in my experience.

Best bang for buck - TM bucking and an Omega nub ;)

Why Rhop?

Rhop process

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.