My Vsr G-spec Build

leadly

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Didn't make it on the 18th as baby was in hospital! All better now though!

I've booked again for August 15th! Hopefully I'll make it this time!

So I have decide to go with a  60' Autobot, Pantera Nub ( spelling? ) , crazy jet barrel and an AA hop.

The rest of my rifle being fully upgraded is good until the stock trigger set explodes. So currently no major investment needed. 

The guys at Skirmishop were very helpful and recommended the Flamingo hop rubber. But after researching, I cannot find a single review that rates them over the Mapleleaf. 

So I will stick with the masses. 

My next consideration bb weight. 

I know the current meta, is heavy weight and throw it a long way with accuracy. Awesome!

When I used to snipe before my rifle got stolen ( Cries ). I ran only Maruzen Super Grand Master and I was a demon. 

I need to find my sweet spot with range, consistency and speed of BB travel. 

Doing the math, going from a 0.29 to a 0.45. It goes from 415fps to 333fps. A 82 less foot traveled in a second. 

I have never run bb's over that weight, so while I know I am going to enjoy the range and accuracy. The slower travel speed to target is going to be interesting. 

I couldn't get hold of a crazy jet for the VSR but managed to get one for my TM MK23.

The flamingo rubber gets big hype on the MK23 group on Facebook. I nearly put one in mine but chose the maple leaf in the end and it's what's in my VSR and I know it does the business!

BB weight, I've got some of Geoff's super precision 0.40 BB's to test on the 15th. I'm toiling with running them in my MK23 as well but I might just use my 0.28's up first and see how I go!

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2020 at 17:16, Groot said:

So I have decide to go with a  60' Autobot, Pantera Nub ( spelling? ) , crazy jet barrel and an AA hop.
The rest of my rifle being fully upgraded is good until the stock trigger set explodes. So currently no major investment needed. 
The guys at Skirmishop were very helpful and recommended the Flamingo hop rubber. But after researching, I cannot find a single review that rates them over the Mapleleaf. 
So I will stick with the masses. 
My next consideration bb weight. 
I know the current meta, is heavy weight and throw it a long way with accuracy. Awesome!
When I used to snipe before my rifle got stolen ( Cries ). I ran only Maruzen Super Grand Master and I was a demon. 
Doing the math, going from a 0.29 to a 0.45. It goes from 415fps to 333fps. A 82 less foot traveled in a second. 
I have never run bb's over that weight, so while I know I am going to enjoy the range and accuracy. The slower travel speed to target is going to be interesting. 

Only just seen this. Sorry to hear that dude. Was a good day. I gave up sniping in the AM as the growth on site was pretty mental. Had an awesome day on the M4 though. 

So weight... on a 303mm barrel, somewhere around a .45-.48 (on a 430mm a .43 is king) would likely be better as it will match the barrel/piston ratio far better and the efficiency will also quieten the rifle off a touch as well.

Weight wise, initially yes it is slower however, a heavier BB carries it's speed better so loses less over time. There is a brilliant app on Android that calculates airsoft trajectories and FPS and it shows you how much energy you lose so yeah whilst it "sounds" better firing at higher rates, the heavier ammo is by far a better solution to shooting further. #lovephysics

As for time to target, ideally you're not peaking and ducking with your opponent and most/all snipers don't feel disadvantaged because of the marginally longer travel time.

On 30/07/2020 at 17:16, Groot said:

Except this doesn't work like that in practice and makes very little difference. If you think about it, at 330fps with a .45 (about 2.3j/500fps with a .2) , in theory you should be making your 100m shot in a second. But you don't because the velocity *massively* falls off as soon as it round comes out. and it takes more like 4 seconds. Again, in theory, an AEG firing 330 should hit someone at 50m in about half a second, but it doesn't.

The faster the velocity of the projectile, the more air resistance and energy lost. Hence in practice, heavier, slower rounds retain more energy over distance and the velocity differences are fairly negligible.  All of which previous posters have said, but examples sometimes helpful.

Airsoft Trajectory Project  goes into this in way more depth and is worth a read if you are into that stuff.

Had my first match at Matlock combat games yesterday. I had a really good time and I must say, my VSR and MK23 performed perfectly! 

Got some decent ranged kills with both. It was nice to be called over to a position to help get rid of enemy snipers who had people pinned down.

Everyone was friendly and the day was well organised. Over 70 people turned up so they are going booking only from now on to keep it to 50 ish.

Time to spend a few more quid on a harness for my battle belt. Although not a lot of weight on it, it was niggling my lower back a little, but that's the joys of having a slipped disc.

Also purchased a cheap £35 shotgun for when I goto Leicester Gaol. So I'm hunting for a scabbard. Should be it kit wise for a while!

1 hour ago, leadly said:

Also purchased a cheap £35 shotgun for when I goto Leicester Gaol. So I'm hunting for a scabbard. Should be it kit wise for a while!

Our little "cohort" is on about doing Gaol next month. We'll have to communicate on that and see if we can't join up.

You've got my number mate so let me know, I think we've just organised to go on the 11th October.

• 1 month later...

Managed 3 games now. 2 at Matlock and 1 at Phoenix. Really enjoyed my 2nd trip to Matlock at the weekend, it was nice to have a bit more map knowledge!

Rifle now looks like this! Had to give the string a hair cut on the supressor at it kept on getting snagged. A few spray painted and burnt maple leaves have found their way on as well!

IMG_20200916_235330__01.jpg

I've also starting slinging 0.43's. A bit too early to say if I can tell much difference, there were a few windy spells on Saturday where I was having to aim about 10ft to the right to hit someone. Got a massive buzz from hitting folk and them not having a clue where it came from. Especially as my concealment only consists of some fern leaves stuffed into my boonie!

My MK23 now has a Printed Airsoft osprey supressor attached to it, making it a lot shorter!

IMG_20200921_085415.jpg

On 21/09/2020 at 08:44, leadly said:

My MK23 now has a Printed Airsoft osprey supressor attached to it, making it a lot shorter!

IMG_20200921_085415.jpg

Nice 👍

I take it that the printed supressor doesn't make it as quiet as the original?

Regards 

15 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Nice 👍

Regards 

They are equivalent.

These shorter ones obviously have the advantage of keeping the whole thing "compact"

29 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Nice 👍

Regards 

As Skara has said, it is just a quiet. Because this one comes with a block you fit to the gun first, then the supressor fits to that, you can double "fart flap" it. One internally and one externally.

I will admit, it doesn't sound as nice as the original TM "thum" but I soon forgot about that. Dosn't dig into the ground either when you kneel down.

There's a video on http://printedairsoft.co.uk of how it all works. Cannot grumble for £20!!

21 minutes ago, leadly said:

Dosn't dig into the ground either when you kneel down.

Yeah that's the main reason I'm interested in it. I keep kneeling down and bam!the silencer fills up with mud lol.

Regards 

14 hours ago, Shamal said:

Yeah that's the main reason I'm interested in it. I keep kneeling down and bam!the silencer fills up with mud lol.

Regards 

I would advise against hip carrying the mk23.

I found that having it under the armpit on your weak side is much more comfortable, plus if you need to draw from a prone position you move less, thus decreasing the chances of being spotted.

But hey, if you're comfortable with the gun on the hip, carry on ;)

4 hours ago, Skara said:

I would advise against hip carrying the mk23.

Yes I see what you mean.I have a double tap design quick release holster which holds real nice on my belt and is so easy to release and reholster.

What sort of rig would be good for underarm then?

Regards 

1 hour ago, Shamal said:

Yes I see what you mean.I have a double tap design quick release holster which holds real nice on my belt and is so easy to release and reholster.

What sort of rig would be good for underarm then?

Regards 

I am currently working on strapping my DTD to a Helikon TMR (using a few zip ties), so I can carry the MK23 with my AEGs.

On my sniper kit I'm using a simple universal fabric holster ziptied to a backpack's left shoulder strap.

EDIT:

https://i.imgur.com/lMfG9nN.jpg

This is a very old kit I built 2 years ago.

The concept is the same.

https://i.imgur.com/Z0dvR0e.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/nkVf1Nx.jpg

A more recent kit, this time the holster is ziptied to a chest rig, but the result is the same.

• 2 weeks later...

New bit of kit in my arsenal, managed to get my hands on an Action Army AAP-01. Had a few blasts in the garden and I love it!

Had a play with my MK23 as well to test some new BB's and my TM mag has started leaking from the over pressure valve.

I've drilled the blind pin out and punched the others out. Lost / removed the over pressure valve.

My plan is to Araldite the void where the over pressure valve is then add some sealant around the base of the mag.

Sealant wise, I'll be using what ever I can find at work, possibly black sikaflex so if the mag gets dropped the seal won't break.

Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Whenever I’ve had leaks form in gas mags my default first step is to empty them of any existing gas and put some Abbey maintenance gas (any heavily lubricated should work, that’s just the specific brand I’ve used) in them and just left it to work it’s magic.

Certainly not guaranteed to work, it largely depends on how severe the leak is but I’ve had a 100% success rate with it so far.

Given you’ve already taken the mag apart it’s likely too far gone to try on this specific mag, but food for thought next time you get a leak.

I did try the mag with some abbey gas and the over fill valve blew the second any gas went into the mag. 

To be honest, it did blow on green gas last week then I stuck some abbey in and it stopped. 

I'll get some Araldite in it tonight and rebuild it in a few days. Tempted to try lubricating the o ring first and testing before I stick some sealant where the o ring should go.

Well I let the Araldite cure, oiled up the o ring and rebuilt......leaked instantly!

So stripped again and broke out the Plexus (forgot I had some), tested it this morning and no more leaks! Happy days!!

• 3 weeks later...

My 3rd game at Matlock today! Didn't have much fun in the morning, massively overgrown area we were playing in, I just couldn't see anyone clearly enough. But overall, fun was had.

I did feel I was lacking in range. It was probably down to not being able to see the enemy clearly rather than not bring able to hit them but it did make me doubt the rifles ability a little.

Now, I have a question. I know the hop unit is used to apply pressure on the BB to create backspin. This (depending on the amount of pressure) altering what the BB does when it leaves the barrel. However, I've only really used it to up my FPS closer to 500.

So have I done things correctly?

From memory, with no hop applied, I was firing 370fps. Should I perhaps change the spring to up the FPS without any hop then apply hop if it's necessary?

I don't know if I've gotten myself a bit confused with it all?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

It varies based on personal preference but most set their hop to get the longest 'flat' trajectory they can.

Generally speaking the heavier the ammo, the more hop you need to apply to achieve that flat trajectory. For the most part your spring is the part you're looking at to alter power... which largely effects how quick your BBs reach your target rather than how far you're flinging them. Though they do affect your power output your hop up and barrel are the main pieces in the puzzle which impact your range and accuracy. There are other influencing factors, but that's boiling it down to the basics in terms of which parts do what in terms of performance.

Best way to go about setting your hop is arrive at the site early, sling your ammo of choice in some mags and find a good long shooting line. If you have a buddy that can wander out so you have someone to call where they're landing that's great but not necessary. You don't want to be staring down your scope when setting your hop, when you pull the trigger just watch the flight of the BB. Fire 2 shots, then adjust the hop accordingly. Once they're travelling flat and consistently you can move on to zeroing your scope, if possible it's worth taking note of the setting your hop is on... though if you're using allen keys etc that's not necessarily an option.

Always measure your FPS with the hop set to lift your chosen weight. That way you won't get caught out by joule creep and you can really push up to where you want to be. Do it with the hop set as the seal will vary depending on how much pressure is applied.

An example for you, my SRS shoots 317 with a 0.48g (so near 490(ish) fps if you convert it), last time at Matlock I was asked to "test" some eye pro and shot it point blank range however I was asked to shoot it with 0.2's and then following shooting the eyepro was asked to chrono, I went through at 430fps.

That's a failry large difference caused by joule creep but if my SRS was shooting about 490 with a 0.2 then in theory I'd be on if not over 550 equivalent with a 0.2.

TL;DR Don't worry about chasing 10fps from 480 to 490, make sure you hop and barrel are perfect and you'll get range.

Also last time at Matlock I too had an awful morning on the sniper due to overgrown land, swapped to an AEG and had a blast.

Cheers for the replies guys!

The rifle is getting taken apart shortly for a clean and to remove the two tone now I've earned my UKARA.

So while it's in bits I'm going to install a Gunsmithy TDC. I know once the hop is set I shouldn't ever need to adjust but this just makes minute adjustments easier.

I've been kindly given some of Nov's 0.46BB's to try, so I'll see how things go with those.

Thinking back to the game now I should have whipped my ARP9 out and been an aggressive drum mag winding bush!

I've just switched to Hero Shark goggles as well, instead of using my revision bullet ants with yellow lenses in. So that, plus the shit weather and my scope fogging up from my hot breath just spoilt it all!

I did run around with dual pistols at the end of the last game which was very fun though.

Skirmish (outdoor) at the end of November is my next day out, so hopefully I'll fair better with how much more open it is!

Medium sized update.

Stripped the rifle down to get rid of the two tone now I've got my UKARA!

I purchased a Gunsmithy TDC and had an email about the G-Spec ML Crazy Jet barrel being back in stock.....

So I thought, why not. I wanted to see if it made any difference at all.

So now we have this

IMG-20201031-WA0016.thumb.jpeg.4cf5a6ca218260689229bc9f962803ca.jpeg

Also got a cheap spirit level scope ring.

A bit of testing and with zero hop (bare in mind I'm just chrono'ing, no range testing is being done) it's kicking out 440fps ish.

Massive difference, maybe I teflon taped it better than the last barrel, who knows.

So I tested my Nov 0.46's and...........as @Groot has been experiencing, JOULE CREEP. Can't remember the FPS right now but 2.8ish Joules. Dropped the weight to 0.43 and then to 0.4 but even then, still slightly over on the joules.

So, just what is a boy to do?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.