Steyr AUG

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well, Christmas was a bust with no prezzies under the tree for me.
So I'll get my own! 😄 

I'm torn between these two:
TM AUG

https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318_399&products_id=2040
TM AUG high cycle
https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318_399&products_id=6372

I like the look of them. I like bullpups, although I have yet to get hands on with one.
Has anyone experience of them both/either? ( I think @Asomodai has the high cycle?)
What do you think?
Are they viable for woodland? If so, what sort of range are you getting?

Any useful info would be much appreciated.
TIA 😄

Can't comment on the tm ones but I have a JG Steyr, which is probably a clone, and it's great. I popped a tight bore and a softer hop rubber in it as I tend to do with all my guns. I mainly play in woodland , the more compact style of a bullpup is handy in dense areas. Range wise it's a match for any of my other aegs. I know some people struggle with the trigger set up but it's fine for me just takes practice. A mate has one set up as a DMR , the fluted barrel version with big triangular flash hider , bipod etc and the thing is stupidly good. They are easy to work on too. Go for it I say

Funnily enough, I was going to pick up a JG version last weekend

it was the trigger operation that put me off..........

stupid reason , I suppose like anything, you get used to it

i did squeeze off a few rounds, and yes, plenty of range 👍

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Funnily enough, I was going to pick up a JG version last weekend

it was the trigger operation that put me off..........

stupid reason , I suppose like anything, you get used to it

i did squeeze off a few rounds, and yes, plenty of range 👍

I seem to remember Druid picked one up & it had a fire selector fitted, worth having a look at taiwangun ?

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

So I'll get my own! 😄 

TM AUG

https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318_399&products_id=2040
TM AUG high cycle
https://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268_318_399&products_id=6372

I like the look of them. I like bullpups, although I have yet to get hands on with one.
Has anyone experience of them both/either? ( I think @Asomodai has the high cycle?)
What do you think?

TIA 😄

2 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

So I'll get my own! 😄 

TM AUG

TM AUG high cycle

What do you think?

TIA 😄

Pretty certain the standard version does not have the manual fire select. Where as the high cycle does and has the dual stage trigger if you are disciplined enough. 

I love the high cycle. Its the only rifle I have that hasnt missed a beat. 

I changed the barrel to a prommy tightbore but kept the original TM rubber and that's the only thing I have done to it.

Its lightweight, very manageable and actually effective for suppression. 

It outranges my mates fully upgraded 340 fps evo. Though it is true that bbs take a little longer to travel to people. 

I do prefer the A1/A2 looks wise, but I wouldn't trade my A3 High cycle for one in a million years. The A1/A2 model is pretty old and has an EG700 motor. 

Fire support have a sale at the moment bringing the high cycle down to 240. 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-high-cycle-steyr-aug-airsoft-gun-aeg-tan-save-30-was-269-now-239

It's definitely a model where you just get it, maybe change the barrel, but leave the gearbox alone until it breaks! It's perfect the way it is, the out of box ROF is very impressive for the 7.4v maximum. 

3 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Fire support have a sale at the moment bringing the high cycle down to 240. 

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-high-cycle-steyr-aug-airsoft-gun-aeg-tan-save-30-was-269-now-239

I noticed that and bought it about twenty minutes ago 😄(with a little help - many thanks 😉 ).
At that price it was an absolute no brainer!
What sort of battery do you run yours on?
And what sort of range were you getting with it as standard?

18 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I noticed that and bought it about twenty minutes ago 😄(with a little help - many thanks 😉 ).
At that price it was an absolute no brainer!
What sort of battery do you run yours on?
And what sort of range were you getting with it as standard?

Congrats! You have made a solid purchase. 7.4v 30c 1450 mah nuprol sticks. 

The ranges was pretty good stock, i would say about 50-60 metres. But it was a very long time ago. So take that how you will. It was a fairly impressive range for the humble FPS reading and I was definitely surprised at the time. I only changed the barrel because I was changing all my AEG barrels. 

Try and stick with TM Mags as I keep breaking the various cheapo ones that I have gotten over the past couple of years. (Aug mags arent the best)

42 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Congrats! You have made a solid purchase. 7.4v 30c 1450 mah nuprol sticks. 

Try and stick with TM Mags as I keep breaking the various cheapo ones that I have gotten over the past couple of years. (Aug mags arent the best)

Groovy- I'll check out the battery. I'm guessing it won't run well on 15c?

And bugger- I just ordered 5 JG high caps cos the place I got the gun didn't have TM..

59 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

Groovy- I'll check out the battery. I'm guessing it won't run well on 15c?

And bugger- I just ordered 5 JG high caps cos the place I got the gun didn't have TM..

The JGs should be ok enough as long as they feed.

15C should be fine. The High cycles technically are built to work on 8.4v nimh

reminds me i need to finish repairs on my jg one( previous owner destroyed the gearbox and has burnt trough the 2 stage trigger(i had to remove the full auto function temporily. might sell it on in the new year but wanna finish what i started first... 

I run my Augs on 2 batteries.

the Vapex (VP racing) 7.4v 2200mAh 30/60C
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-30c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-battery.html

And the Giant Power 7.4v 2200mAh 35/70C
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-35c-continuous-discharge-lipo-battery.html

It's about the largest dimension battery that will fit. And if you have a full gearbox plate with the large 90-degree protrusion at the motor you may have to remove some plastic. If it is the backplate with just the motor bump they will fit without modification.

spacer.png

Mag wise I have never had a mag that refused to feed. My favourite mags in order.

MAG 170rnd mid caps.
Battle axe/ASG 110rnd midcap.
Any of the branded high caps. TM/JG/APS/ASG all feed.

Range wise I've seen some pretty bad Aug's on the field. Mostly due to incorrect hop and barrel installation. The Aug barrel has to free float with the hop to make the correct gearbox seal. I've mentioned this in a few threads over the years. My guns have absolutely no problems with range at all, If they did I would be fixing them, The AUG is more than capable of holding a perfect air seal at 350fps, As such it's capable of been every bit as good as any other platform.

8 hours ago, remus said:

reminds me i need to finish repairs on my jg one( previous owner destroyed the gearbox and has burnt trough the 2 stage trigger(i had to remove the full auto function temporily.

You can just make them out of sheet copper. Or buy one of the solder in units. You will have to solder the new terminals in with either solution.

https://www.socomtactical.net/airsoft-accessories/replacement-and-tune-up-parts/everything-else/jing-gong-aug-wiring-loom

Check your gearbox first tho, If both contacts are present and there are no faults with them chances are they have just been pushed too far forwards on the install. You can set the Semi/Auto gap out of the gun. When they sit forwards the gun will go directly to auto. The plate on the trigger is just a bridge it's the 2 small contacts on the gearbox you need to inspect.

19 hours ago, Asomodai said:

The JGs should be ok enough as long as they feed.

15C should be fine. The High cycles technically are built to work on 8.4v nimh

I forgot to ask - are they picky about BBs? And what weight have you found is best for yours?

1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

I forgot to ask - are they picky about BBs? And what weight have you found is best for yours?

.25s and. 28s ASG devils are fine. It will hop both.

If you want to bb hose then .25s if you want more accuracy then .28s

19 hours ago, Iceni said:

I run my Augs on 2 batteries.

the Vapex (VP racing) 7.4v 2200mAh 30/60C
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-30c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-battery.html

And the Giant Power 7.4v 2200mAh 35/70C
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-35c-continuous-discharge-lipo-battery.html

It's about the largest dimension battery that will fit. And if you have a full gearbox plate with the large 90-degree protrusion at the motor you may have to remove some plastic. If it is the backplate with just the motor bump they will fit without modification.

spacer.png

Mag wise I have never had a mag that refused to feed. My favourite mags in order.

MAG 170rnd mid caps.
Battle axe/ASG 110rnd midcap.
Any of the branded high caps. TM/JG/APS/ASG all feed.

Range wise I've seen some pretty bad Aug's on the field. Mostly due to incorrect hop and barrel installation. The Aug barrel has to free float with the hop to make the correct gearbox seal. I've mentioned this in a few threads over the years. My guns have absolutely no problems with range at all, If they did I would be fixing them, The AUG is more than capable of holding a perfect air seal at 350fps, As such it's capable of been every bit as good as any other platform.

You can just make them out of sheet copper. Or buy one of the solder in units. You will have to solder the new terminals in with either solution.

https://www.socomtactical.net/airsoft-accessories/replacement-and-tune-up-parts/everything-else/jing-gong-aug-wiring-loom

Check your gearbox first tho, If both contacts are present and there are no faults with them chances are they have just been pushed too far forwards on the install. You can set the Semi/Auto gap out of the gun. When they sit forwards the gun will go directly to auto. The plate on the trigger is just a bridge it's the 2 small contacts on the gearbox you need to inspect.

I use these in my ASG Aug from Component Shop (they are a snug fit). Assuming the ASG Aug has the the same dimensions as the TM/JG one?

image.png

9 minutes ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

I use these in my ASG Aug from Component Shop (they are a snug fit). Assuming the ASG Aug has the the same dimensions as the TM/JG one?

image.png

I wouldnt use 9.9v lifes on a TM Aug high cycle. Will destroy the gearbox IMO

2 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Inwiuldnt use 9.9v lifes on a TM Aug high cycle. Will destroy the gearbox IMO

Maybe, but it would be a glorious death!

3 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

All Augs are pretty similar in terms of battery space, The only major difference is that 90-degree plate that is on some of the variants. There's also a shorter plate in some of the QC spring models like the classic army.

I personally wouldn't use those 9.9v life's. Only because the capacity is so low. 1000mAh is a half-day battery. Those 2200mAh 7.4v ones might not be as fast but they last all day. The Giant power ones are superb because of the 5c charge, I have a couple for those I've forgotten to charge days! Typically the 2200mAh batteries will take 2.2 hours to charge on a 1amp cheap charger, 1 hour at 2.2 amps on a 1c charge but the giants will do it at 11 amps in 12 minutes If you have a charger that is capable. In-game terms it's a full charge in the time it takes for them to do the briefing at most sites. I don't charge them that hard all the time, but when I do it's because I need them.

In terms of performance, it's more than possible to get into trouble in terms of RPS even on 7.4v lipos. 12:1 gears with a monster motor and you could pretty easily have gearbox issues. Higher voltage batteries are in my opinion short term solutions for increasing RPS, If you want a reliable gun with a high ROF then going with a gearbox designed for 7.4v will give you something that has a longer service period, and will be less likely to damage itself.

A good base is 7.4v, 13:1 gears, Short stroke, And a decent torque motor 16TPA ish. It should net 22rps with very good trigger response. It might cost £60+ to make the modifications but the gearbox will last a hell of a lot longer and you will be far less likely to have a terminal gearbox failure.

The TM HC gearbox uses this same thought process. Fast gears, Decent motor, running lower-powered batteries. TM, however, make the gears out of cheese, so upgrading the FPS often has a detrimental effect on the gear life. Decent aftermarket gears like ZCI will be more capable of dealing with 350fps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived