No8

Police and Crime Act 2017 - Airsoft Exemptions

Greetings

My understanding of current legislation, i.e. the amendments in the 2017 Police and Crime Act, state that the exemption in the PCA outlines that airsoft guns, regardless of their power source, are not classed as firearms if they are designed to fire a plastic spherical projectile, no larger than 8mm with a muzzle energy no greater than 1.3 joules (370fps 0.2g bb, full auto capable weapons) or 2.5 joules (520fps 0.2gbb, single shot weapons).

Therefore they are not applicable as RIF's and therefore the defence under UKARA is no longer required.

Anyone the wiser?

Cheers.

What i get from it is, That no matter what airsoft guns will still be RIFs as they are Imitating a firearm

So even if they arent classed as Firearms they are still imitating one

Section 125 of the Policing and Crime Act 2017 provides an exemption for airsoft guns which is specifically in relation to Section 57A of the Firearms Act 1968.   Airsoft guns within the legal limits are not classed as firearms (being non lethal).  

However, there are no changes to Sections 36 - 41 of the VCRA 2006, which deal specifically with Imitation Firearms and RIFs.   Airsoft guns are still imitation firearms whether two-tone or realistic.  

You must be 18+ to buy one, and if a RIF to have a valid defence, i.e. membership of an airsoft site. Being on the UKARA database being the most widely recognised.

Not all BB guns are airsoft guns but all airsoft guns are BB guns; airsoft guns are not firearms but they are imitation firearms.  

As above, VCRA still applies.  Anything that looks like a real gun is an imitation firearm.  I see no reason why things that are firearms for the purposes of one statute couldn't also fall foul of being realistic imitation firearms for the purposes of another (e.g. an MP5K metal pellet air gun), but that's a spat for another thread.

One thing that I have to note in passing is:

19 hours ago, No8 said:

not classed as firearms if they are designed to fire a plastic spherical projectile, no larger than 8mm with a muzzle energy no greater than 1.3 joules (370fps 0.2g bb, full auto capable weapons) or 2.5 joules (520fps 0.2gbb, single shot weapons).

Yes on "designed" to shoot a plastic BB (even if it's capable of shooting metal), but strictly speaking, it must not be "capable" of discharging "a missile (of any kind)" at higher than the permitted levels.

Those of you who chrono to the limit with 0.2g BBs then load up 0.5g might want to bear that in mind.  There's nothing to stop the police or CPS dropping a steel BB in there and seeing how fast it comes out, even if it wrecks the hop on the way through.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2017/3/section/125

this guy needs to change his name tooooo ...............Image result for mr know it all