Fairly compact lightish weight gun for my daughters.

emilianoksa
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My daughters are all adults, and one of them has been pestering me about going to airsoft. The other two are also interested but don't live as close. I might also be able one day to persuade my wife to play. She has lots of natural energy and aggression.😁

I have two LCT compact AKs which are fairly heavy and a short barrelled G&G M4 with metal receiver that is a bit lighter. In any case, when you add a red dot, tracer unit or flashlight the weight quickly mounts up. With hindsight one of the compact AKs would have been sufficient for my needs, though I love them both. I really wanted a full size LCT AKM, but I only play cqb so it didn't make much sense. 

So I thought about adding a CM Raider 2.0 to the collection so my girls would always have something comfortable to use. It would have the added bonus that I would probably enjoy playing with it too if the girls preferred to use one of my heavier guns. Then I started to wonder if paying a bit more and getting something like a TM regular plastic rifle or better still a High Cycle might be a better long term bet. I have been drooling over the short High Cycle Aug, but one member on here says his ate itself almost immediately. What kind of battery he was using, I don't really know.

In short I would appreciate any advice on a suitable gun. I am not technically minded and into upgrading so I want something fairly reliable. Cyma and JG make decent guns but I'm not up to shimming and changing AOE,  etc. Should I stick with the CM Raider idea or pay a bit more. Price range would be about #150-250, though I might pay a little bit more. I am not looking to spend money for the sake of it, but sometimes a more expensive gun can be more cost effective in the long run. I am now toying with the idea of selling one of my AKs, but can't quite bring myself to do it yet.

Before somebody suggest a G&G Firehawk or other stubby gun with limited battery space please note that I only use nimhs. The Combat Machine is rear wired and will take a 9.6 nunchuk and the TM High Cycles will give an good rate of fire, albeit at low velocity, on an  8.4 mini. Low velocity but fine for cqb.

If there are any other guns I should add in to the mix, please advise. I'm thinking the plastic non high cycle Maruis are probably not worth investing in these days.

They really should buy their own guns, but I'm a bit of a soft touch with my daughters. 

If you have the budget. I whole heartedly recommend the P90 high cycle. Its lightweight, easy to handle and easy to maintain.

Though my lightest gun is actually a Umarex ARX160 sport line. 

8 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Before somebody suggest a G&G Firehawk or other stubby gun with limited battery space please note that I only use nimhs. The Combat Machine is rear wired and will take a 9.6 nunchuk and the TM High Cycles will give an good rate of fire, albeit at low velocity, on an  8.4 mini. Low velocity but fine for cqb.

I was about to say "ARP-9" but then i read this.

You should honestly switch to LiPos and the upcoming Li-Ion batteries. After that you can basically buy any gun you want.

Ares, with its Amoeba series, makes some really light and compact guns that don't really require anything, just plug the battery and play. Replace the bushings after a year or so and keep using them for another 2/3 years.

http://www.amoeba-airsoft.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69_71&product_id=116

http://www.amoeba-airsoft.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69_71&product_id=123

Swap the stock for a fixed 416 style one and you're set

Yup TM high cycle aug.

Fantastic gun. Will cost you a small fortune in ammo.

Realiable, Fast rate of fire, good out of the box.

The one that ate itself was probably down to the owner running it on 11.1v lipo's. 7.4v is perfect for them.

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-high-cycle-steyr-aug-airsoft-gun-aeg-tan

I would run lipo for the aug, It still has limited battery space. Not in the same way as a firehawk ect but space isn't generous.

One of these will fit perfectly and last all day.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-30c-continuous-discharge-airsoft-lipo-battery.html

• Mostly Retired Moderators

The guy who did Epic Airsoft did has a good video for the aug:

Wonder what ever happened to him.. his videos were good. 

In fact, let's not write off the MP5K high cycle:

46 minutes ago, Skara said:

I was about to say "ARP-9" but then i read this.

You should honestly switch to LiPos and the upcoming Li-Ion batteries. After that you can basically buy any gun you want.

Ares, with its Amoeba series, makes some really light and compact guns that don't really require anything, just plug the battery and play. Replace the bushings after a year or so and keep using them for another 2/3 years.

http://www.amoeba-airsoft.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69_71&product_id=116

http://www.amoeba-airsoft.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69_71&product_id=123

Swap the stock for a fixed 416 style one and you're set

Yes, I know I should, but it isn't going to happen any time soon.

I'll look into the Li-Ion and Life.

1 hour ago, L3wisD said:

The guy who did Epic Airsoft did has a good video for the aug:

Wonder what ever happened to him.. his videos were good. 

In fact, let's not write off the MP5K high cycle:

Yeah what did happen to this channel it was one of the best and his bench test was always spot on?

Can you help me with eye protection please?

My daughters all wear contact lenses. Should they go for ballistic glasses or goggles? I wear Bolle RX goggles over glasses and yes, I do have fogging problems, but I know they can take a bb at 350fps from 5 metres. Are there any Bolle or other glasses that will do the same? I ask because I get the impression that glasses tend not to fog as much as goggles. Or are goggles the better bet?

As far as lower face protection  is concerned, I have that covered.  

For a first time out I'd opt for full seal goggles just as a safety net until they get used to the game(s). It's one thing less to worry about and they'll have enough to think about without losing an eye. Not to say glasses aren't safe but as a first time out it's just safer. If they get into it then by all means explore all the options. That's what I'd do if it was my daughter, over protection is better than less protection IMHO.

Archived