AEG spring fitting

E21A
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Potentially dumb question but, I’ve just received a new m140 spring (see pic below) and my question is:

The coils at one end are closer than at the other, is there a right way round to fit it? Or does it not matter. 

It’s going in a spring sniper if that makes any difference. (Yes, it does use AEG springs) 

E25A8277-4406-45E6-9A80-A2EDCF2D5B57.jpeg

The end where the coils are closer goes at the spring guide end to get the max FPS

If you find you're running hot, you can reverse the spring and it may cut the FPS a little. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

The end where the coils are closer goes at the spring guide end to get the max FPS

I'm struggling to visualise why.  Is there an idiot's guide available?

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Rogerborg said:

I'm struggling to visualise why.  Is there an idiot's guide available?

Asked a tech the exact same question and he just mumbled something about inertia and potential energy due to the distance the coils compress..

So would quite like to find out why myself.

40 minutes ago, Prisce said:

Asked a tech the exact same question and he just mumbled something about inertia and potential energy due to the distance the coils compress..

So would quite like to find out why myself.

Thats what I heard as well. 

I'm guessing the coils which are closer have less space to compress but require more pressure to do so and there's more of them per inch so when the spring is released they act as an accelerator to the bulk of the wider springs uncompressing. Or thereabouts.

Also a guess that; when you turn the spring around and the fps drops it's a bit like preloading a spring guide and then taking the preload off. I suppose that kinda supports a little with my little hypothesis above. Or perhaps the tighter coils literally act as a preload.

Ouch... probably way off on both counts! lol :lol: You know when something makes sense in your head but words fail you! That's me.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

Thats what I heard as well. 

Sometimes I wonder if this is why “techs” get a bad name, I’d much rather someone said. “It’s sciency stuff I don’t know much about, but I have tried and it does XYZ”. Than they lie and that lie then gets repeated and others hear it and think it’s true blah blah blah.

Plenty of long videos on youtube explaining it if you can be arsed to watch.

fair amount of science behind springy bois lol

• Supporters
16 hours ago, Immortal said:

I'm guessing the coils which are closer

Closer to what?  This chap called Newton had some wacky ideas, and the third of them was that an object in an enclosed space will experience the same force at both ends when you compress it, regardless of to which end the compression force is applied.  Likewise, it will apply its expansion force equally in both directions.

I'm not clear on how the spring is meant to know from within its own frame of reference which way it's supposed to expand.

I know that engineering likes to exploit physics for some neat effects, but it's not magical, and whatever's going on can be explained.

1 hour ago, Seany.exe said:

Plenty of long videos on youtube explaining it if you can be arsed to watch.

Yes, I can.  Which one did you find most convincing?

6 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Closer to what? Each other This chap called Newton had some wacky ideas, and the third of them was that an object in an enclosed space will experience the same force at both ends when you compress it, regardless of to which end the compression force is applied.  Likewise, it will apply its expansion force equally in both directions. This would be true if the coils where equally spaced - in this case they are not 

I'm not clear on how the spring is meant to know from within its own frame of reference which way it's supposed to expand. It can only expand one way as it essentially fixed at one end 

I know that engineering likes to exploit physics for some neat effects, but it's not magical, and whatever's going on can be explained.

Yes, I can.  Which one did you find most convincing?

Archived