Aldi bench grinder/dremel combo ???

Sitting Duck
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Goes into Aldi for a chicken

fighting with myself about buying this.....

https://www.aldi.co.uk/workzone-mini-bench-grinder/p/076431138604100?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzbrT26ex3QIV5pXtCh39YAXzEAQYAiABEgLC0PD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CImCr-ansd0CFRJ00wodTwgEPA

Image result for aldi grinder

problem is....

I have a basic china dremel

plus another with a flex cable/shaft and it is really good/handy for stuff compared to basic dremel

would like a bench grinder I think, but do I need another dremel attachment as well

plus - don't think Mrs Duck would see the value over a roast chicken dinner I originally went in for

Think I would have grabbed one but was in a case and one of them ask at checkout thingy

so decided upon some grub & beer keeping my testicles intact for next 24 hours

But if I didn't have china dremels I would have took my chances I think

it's £26:99 which ain't a give away price but you would pay nigh on £20 for a cheapo china flexi dremel

so £7 more for mini bench grinder is good 'un I think to sado's who Short Stroke or stuff like that

• Supporters

pretty neat idea, although given i have a proper dremel and no room for a grinder i'll have to stick to that.

the point on stones is valid, although you should always use eye pro when using cutting/grinding equipment of any quality.

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Some cheap tools are fine but grinding and cutting equipment should always be top notch. I work with things like that all the time and have learnt my lessons.

them cheapo 10p size cutting discs are wank - they bust asap

however stack two cheapo cutting discs and they last down to titchy tiny discs

7 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

pretty neat idea, although given i have a proper dremel and no room for a grinder i'll have to stick to that.

the point on stones is valid, although you should always use eye pro when using cutting/grinding equipment of any quality.

yup - eyepro when cutting for absolute certainty - think we all took the odd chance

but bollox to risking your eyesight no matter how careful you might think it will be OK

DON'T RISK IT - no matter how quick 2 sec job, not worth it

wouldn't go out to skirmish without eyepro - so don't chance cutting stuff either

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Doesn't stop you having to pick the shards out of your neck and chin though and that sucks balls. 

true, and for something bigger than a dremel disc i can see your concern.

51 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

yup - eyepro when cutting for absolute certainty - think we all took the odd chance

but bollox to risking your eyesight no matter how careful you might think it will be OK

indeed, a lesson learned the first time i took the risk of cutting with a dremel disc, even the proper ones will explode.

I’lI ask my grandad tomorrow if he has one. He’s obsessed with all things Lidl and Aldi. Plus, he’s northern so he sort of comes shipped with DIY proficiency included as standard.

I picked one of them up a few years ago. Don't bother.

Motor has no power at all. Other than sharpening kitchen knives it's not good at grinding.

The rotary tool is on a very noisy underpowerd grinder.

If you want a bench grinder go to screwfix, They do a titan 200mm (8inch) for £40 with a 400w induction motor.

• Supporters

I’ve got a Lidl plenisher/grinder that looks almost the same been running it for a good 18mths and all’s good .👍

only real problem i do find is the motor is a bit weak so you have to take your time and no heavy pressure or it stops . Fully accept the point about cheap grinding wheels but do think you need to put a bit of perspective on it , industrialist everyday use ? Quite frankly you’d be a fucking idiot to use cheap wheels , hobbyists every now and again grinding small or thin bits of pot metal/softer low  metals ? Don’t think there’s any real greater danger of it shattering during use compared to a ‘quality’ one ? 😉

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Druid799 said:

I’ve got a Lidl plenisher/grinder that looks almost the same been running it for a good 18mths and all’s good .👍

only real problem i do find is the motor is a bit weak so you have to take your time and no heavy pressure or it stops . Fully accept the point about cheap grinding wheels but do think you need to put a bit of perspective on it , industrialist everyday use ? Quite frankly you’d be a fucking idiot to use cheap wheels , hobbyists every now and again grinding small or thin bits of pot metal/softer low  metals ? Don’t think there’s any real greater danger of it shattering during use compared to a ‘quality’ one ? 😉

There is, I was using a little shitty one years ago trying to do something fine where the bigger ones were too harsh. It was just a cheap little thing also didn't see any danger too it but...

I have 3 little scars on my jaw and one in between my fingers where it decided to shatter. 

Softer metals and alloys are worse as the discs bind. Most of the cutting dics I have broken have been on aluminium as that grabs like fuck. Would rather grind tool steel anyday.

Better to spend a bit extra and buy a decent quality jewellers wheel.

• Supporters

Well I'll probably swerve this purchase

I nearly bought a £69 light pillar drill reduce to £40 or £45 around Xmas

really wanted one for ages I thought - make swiss-ing pistons a breeze I'm saying

But in the end I ergh'd & uhmm'd and they sold the couple they had left over

and in reality - how often would I have used it ffs

once a month or every two or three months - rest of time it just sits there

I think I can get by without a pillar drill and/or bench grinder for the amount I'd use it

If I was going to use stuff more often then yeah I think I'd take the plunge

But if I was using stuff more frequently I'd probably buy something a bit more decent too

As I said I got two china dremels which I get by with

it was the combo grinder & dremel attachment which caught my eye

maybe swap out a wheel for a soft polishing wheel I guess but with hindsight

nah I'll probably pass perhaps on reflection

If it was out on display to pick up (and nick no doubt round my way)

I might have thought wtf and grabbed one without a second thought

It is a bit big to end up in the man draw in the kitchen with ye olde Ronco - JML crap

dead batteries, keys to cars you scrapped years ago & all other stuff that never works

(wtf is this key for ??? - oh my old 1978 Ford Cortina - or a 2p coin will open the boot)

cheers for the feedback guys

• Head Moderator

Moved to the Off Topic Discussion because this tool is not good enough for General Discussion ;)

Archived