New Classifieds Feedback and Bug Hunting

proffrink
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Looks like he's just double tapped his screen and zoomed out, all smart phones and apples have this feature.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters
9 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Get a bigger screen and use a computer, simples 😛. Cannot assist with any issues pertaining to mobile telephony; mine still has a battery the size of an ammo tin and a coiled wire handset.  This is proffrink’s territory.

Sod that. I haven’t used a Pc in 8 years! 

9 hours ago, proffrink said:

That looks completely fucked. Could you do me a favour and try another browser (Chrome, Firefox etc.) and see what that does? This doesn't look normal at all as it should be resizing media to the size of your screen (up to ~800px or something).

Also not classifieds related but hey :)

Same issue on Chrome(see photo), I will admit it’s hit and miss, some videos appear correctly, but lots(including the ones I try and upload) end up looking like this.

Yeah your right, it’s not classified related, was half asleep and just saw feedback and went ahead and posted. Apologies.

39 minutes ago, Duff said:

Looks like he's just double tapped his screen and zoomed out, all smart phones and apples have this feature.

I’m not a complete idiot. I had to zoom out to find the play sign, otherwise I just get a blank screen. 

It probably is a mobile issue, and probably just an iOS issue.

1AFE362A-054A-46C2-83EC-977F0BDC91F5.png

• Root Admin

Hidden the off-topic stuff.

Sorry Prisce but just can't replicate. If anyone else has this issue please let me know.

Are you running any extensions that might've messed up the markup (things like adblockers etc.)?

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Hidden the off-topic stuff.

Sorry Prisce but just can't replicate. If anyone else has this issue please let me know.

Are you running any extensions that might've messed up the markup (things like adblockers etc.)?

Apologies prof.

Definitely not Proff, I’m a techno noob I wouldn’t even know how too! It’s not every video either which is what’s an issue.

22 hours ago, Prisce said:

I hate apple. I'm using android so this may not work for you, however, I went into desktop mode and mine looked similar to yours. Came out of it,reloaded the site and cleared cache then it was fine. 

• Root Admin

Two big changes:

1. Remember when I said I'd update the categories 'tomorrow' two weeks ago? Well, I finally did it:

• Electric
    • Electric Rifles
    • Electric Pistols
    • Other Electric
  • Gas
    • Gas Rifles
    • Gas Pistols
    • Other Gas
  • Spring
    • Spring Rifles
    • Spring Pistols
    • Other Spring
  • HPA
  • Parts & Gear
    • Parts
    • Gear
  • Swaps Only
  • Guns Wanted
  • Parts & Gear Wanted

2. I've now marked 'expired' adverts instead as 'uncompleted' and have changed their colour to a subdued colour. I've also added more verbiage to the listing so that it's clear to viewers that the listing may still be current (but that the owner hasn't bumped it in a little while).

These listings will still show up for now. Couldn't go with 'unsold' as this is unsuited to 'wanted' ads.

If anyone can thesaurus this better than I then please don't hesitate to post. I'm certainly not 100% happy with it.

I think expired is fine. It doesn't suggest the item is gone or availabe just the status of the advertisement itself. Nice work Proff.

13 hours ago, proffrink said:

Too bad I've just changed it from that to 'uncompleted' then, heh. The problem with 'expired' is exactly that: People thought the listing were expired and that the owner wasn't contactable.

Uncompleted isn't a word, incomplete is what you mean.

• Root Admin

I mean you're wrong on it not being a word, but the reason I picked 'uncompleted' over 'incomplete' was that - to me - 'incomplete' more obviously implied that the advert may not have all the information it should, whereas 'uncompleted' was more the lack of completion/opposite of completion (as 'complete' is used when an item is bought/sold to mark the advert as closed).

This might help: https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/212119/why-do-we-say-incomplete-but-uncompleted

It would need to be hyphenated. Un-complete, or un-completed. There also is no use for the d. That's why incomplete is the preferred and most legiible.

From your link:

"The work is incomplete." < Fine

"The work is uncompleted." < Less common but still sounds "correct" to my ear

"The work is incompleted or uncomplete < Both of these sound wrong.

Sounds "correct" to the ear, commonly used but not correct. I get why you chose not to use incomplete though as it could lead to questiosn regarding the validity of the advert as you say. If you want to be as plain and simple as possible, have it as

FOR SALE - SOLD - NOT SOLD

• Root Admin
44 minutes ago, Duff said:

It would need to be hyphenated. Un-complete, or un-completed. There also is no use for the d. That's why incomplete is the preferred and most legiible.

From your link:

"The work is incomplete." < Fine

"The work is uncompleted." < Less common but still sounds "correct" to my ear

"The work is incompleted or uncomplete < Both of these sound wrong.

Sounds "correct" to the ear, commonly used but not correct. I get why you chose not to use incomplete though as it could lead to questiosn regarding the validity of the advert as you say.

I'm un-convinced as far as the diction goes, but I do agree that it sounds wrong as it's not common parlance given that most people just use 'incomplete' interchangeably with 'uncompleted'. I've had no better suggestions and perhaps a better one doesn't exist.

Again I'd urge you to read that link as it does a good job of outlining the difference; there is one, and it has nothing to do with hyphenation. That's not to deny that it's a bad choice (I still don't think it is anywhere near perfect), but grammatically it's solid.

44 minutes ago, Duff said:

If you want to be as plain and simple as possible, have it as

FOR SALE - SOLD - NOT SOLD

As already stated a couple of times in this thread: Can't do this because of the 'wanted' stuff. It was my initial choice to do 'unsold' as well. See pages and pages ago.

The root doesn't matter if it's been reified, contracted, or inflected.
That makes it a different word, with different affordances.

• The opposite of incomplete is complete; i.e, all parts are present.
    Incomplete means (and meant) that not all parts are present.
    Complete comes from Latin; it's the past participle of a verb meaning 'fill up, fulfil'.
    The Latin negative in- prefix was already attached, before the word was borrowed.

• The opposite of uncompleted is completed; i.e, finished, done (of activities).
    Completed is the past participle of the English verb complete, not a Latin verb.
    Since it's an English verb, it uses the English negative prefix un-, not the Latin in-.

• 2 weeks later...

Uncompleted still reads terribly wrong to me, Incomplete rolls off the tongue so much better.

image.thumb.png.64af20d477a1d99da8fcee2a9066da28.png

2 minutes ago, proffrink said:

I don't like it either, but I still don't like 'incomplete' because it 100% infers someone hasn't fully filled in their listing.

I'm considering just 'old' or 'older listing' now.

Agree. Believe it or not I been trying to find a good alternative and hadn't even considered "old" and if I'm honest "older listing" works better than "uncompleted." Hadn't even considered "incomplete" to refer to the ads status but I guess it does infer that.

Did I suggest Expired before? You could place a message on the advert that shows it as nearly expired, like how the red bar message is a notification the ad is about to close.

• Supporters

Is there a way to browse all listings in the classifieds? I know there's the little bars but it only shows about 20-25 out of the hundreds that have been listed. 

• Supporters
38 minutes ago, proffrink said:

You mean the front page? I'll see if there's a way to just show all categories.

Basically just an area which shows all the listings, regardless of category. You never know what you might miss when filtering to just a single category!

I know there's an area which shows all the categories, but you still have to click on each one in order to browse. 

• Supporters

Also... is there a chance to get the mark all as read button back for each sub category...?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin
On 16/06/2018 at 05:25, Prisce said:

Also... is there a chance to get the mark all as read button back for each sub category...?

Possibly. Got a lot on the backburner right now I'm afraid.

Most groundbreaking forum update to date though: Classifieds now use a pound sign instead of 'GBP' infront of prices.

• 1 month later...

I'd definitely want to see the classifieds moved up on the page. At the moment it's just a little subforum link that you have to scroll way down the front page to get to.

8 hours ago, proffrink said:

It's in your menu though, right?

See until you said that I never even saw a menu.

Medium grey text on dark grey tabs on slightly darker background, my eyes just go straight past that. It's not even bold or anything. When I open up AFUK, the first thing I see is Announcements, then status updates, then I carry on down past General Discussion and so on.

Also, the menu doesn’t display on mobile.

• Root Admin

Alright.

The menu is in a drop down on mobile by the way (top right). Are you wanting a menu on mobile at the top that doesn't require hitting those three stripes?

For everyone:

Is anyone else struggling to see the menu? I might look at doing a secondary colour scheme if there's interest.

Archived