Glock 17 options

AshOnSnow
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thinking of adding a Glock 17 to the mix. I had a WE G19 before which was great, but I'm thinking TM may be the way to go for this next one. BUT I can't seem to find a TM G17 Gen4 anywhere. Does it even exist?

Not that im aware of, they made a couple of mechanical updates to the current TM G17 i thought a long time back but its still Gen3 to look at.

For us 'softers that only really equates to an interchangeable backstrap doesnt it anyway!?

1 minute ago, Davegolf said:

Not that im aware of, they made a couple of mechanical updates to the current TM G17 i thought a long time back but its still Gen3 to look at.

For us 'softers that only really equates to an interchangeable backstrap doesnt it anyway!?

(Which is the main bit I liked about the WE) but nope, it's the updated grip pattern and enlarged ambidextrous mag release

• Supporters

Not that I'm aware of. WE do a GEN 4 though you'd sacrifice the nice TM internals just to get it.

1 minute ago, Gepard said:

Not that I'm aware of. WE do a GEN 4 though but you'd sacrifice the nice TM internals just to get it.

I have always preferred the feel of WE over TM, but I hear the TM shoots straight as an arrow.

I might have to get a WE G17 G4 and a TM MK23 just to compensate.

But before I get either of those, I should probably get a job that pays more often than three times a year ;)

For what it’s worth, I didn’t like the mag release on the gen 4. Much too easy to catch for me. I prefer the usp placement 

Just now, Wo1f said:

For what it’s worth, I didn’t like the mag release on the gen 4. Much too easy to catch for me. I prefer the usp placement 

I like the trigger guard placement like P99 and USP, but unless it's super solidly built, I've found they have a tendency to bend one way slightly and not always release easily. Never caught the mag release on the G19-4 by accident before. But I guess we all have different hands and different handling.

8 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

I have always preferred the feel of WE over TM, but I hear the TM shoots straight as an arrow.

Yeh they definitely do, all TMs get sprinkled in magic.

They work well straight out the box, out performing other G17s, but there is still a lot of headroom for improvement.

Ambidextrous mag release doesn’t work on Gen4 as it requires modified mags.

And no, TM don’t make a Gen4.

To be honest, having had loads of both, a WE is fine if your going to upgrade, change the inner barrel and hop unit and rubber etc for Maple Leaf, you won’t look back.

The biggest advantage on a G17 over G19 is mag capacity (gas and bb’s), G19 is good if you have a need for a slightly smaller side arm.

rdb

• Moderators

i got a TM G17 last year for my 40th....wife knew of course :rolleyes:

first pistol for me and tbh i love it.....ok its a glock and as common as an M4....but i have one of those as well! :D

so just get the TM, cant go wrong :)

3 hours ago, Davegolf said:

I too think the HK / P99 is the best mag release setup, Never come across bendy ones tho, what was that on!?

Actually that was on a P99 - if you didn’t push the lever down evenly from both sides, it would catch and not quite release properly.

I may go for the WE with maple leaf internals, but rocketdogberg is right re the ambi mag issue with the gen 4.

Long and short of it is if you want a Gen4 then look to other makes, but if you want ultimate performance youll want the TM, dont get me wrong you can make the likes of WE good but never as good as the TM could be in the business department.

8 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Anyone tried the new Umarex version yet?

If it’s umarex it’s usually KWA. May as well throw the bb’s at your enemies...

You’re right. The older usp by umarex was kwa. 

My only experience with a vfc pistol is the FNX-45 and I really like it. Won’t be outshooting a TM, but it serves a purpose

14 hours ago, Wo1f said:

You’re right. The older usp by umarex was kwa. 

My only experience with a vfc pistol is the FNX-45 and I really like it. Won’t be outshooting a TM, but it serves a purpose

Does KWA not deserve its reputation for making good stuff, Wolf?

I ask because I am learning all the time about which stuff is good, and what to avoid.

I agree with you about Gen3 v Gen4 Glocks by the way. That magazine release on the G4 is going to result in a lot of dropped mags.

1 hour ago, emilianoksa said:

Does KWA not deserve its reputation for making good stuff, Wolf?

I just hate their hop up chambers. I’ve had a USP tactical pistol (sold) a kriss vector (selling) and a pts mega arms 308 (having extensive work done) and none of them will shoot with the range and performance I expect and experience from others. 

Archived