Lying on the floor with a Plate carrier

airsofter2015

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Head Moderator

I think it depends on the quality of the magazine, how much pressure you are exerting on the them and the terrain under you. I would not expect them to break though.

One thing to remember when getting prone is that you can drop mags from pouches if not properly secured. I have elastic retention straps on my open pouches and I needed to adjust the tightness yesterday when one mag dropped out after crawling prone to get cover.

Thanks Jedi i dont think it should be a problem when i go to my next game as the terrain is mostly dirt and my mag pouches are the velcro type that you have to open

thanks for reassuring me.

Different carry systems have different philosophies of use. A plate carrier is based on standing/kneeling keeping the waist and legs mostly clear for the purpose of moving well and standing square on to the enemy so that getting hit is absorbed by the plate. The UK tends to prefer laying on the ground as part of making people harder to hit and as a result tends to put all the equipment on the sides and rear of the waist and back such that they can get low to the ground.

So what you use (plate, chest rig, battle belt, assault vest) all changes your combat style and to some extent you have to use it somewhat in the way it was designed otherwise you are going to have problems with it. If you spend a lot of time laying on the ground in games then you may find stuff on your front with a plate/chest rig doesn't suit you and you might find a battle belt or side/rear assault vest is more appropriate for you.

Number 1: my m4 mags on my was plate carrier are on the side as it makes laying prone more comfortable.

And number 2: im too old and tired when i play to go prone fast enough to break anything!!

Unless the are very cheap and you lay on a rock at a bad angle no mag should break no matter how heavy you are to be fair.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.