Newly hooked airsoft player.

BlackBlur

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone just recently started airsofting and im hooked! Have had a fair few sessions now in a local cqb site and just cant get enough of it. Just waiting on my UKARA now and then going to set about heading to a skirmish after I settle on a gun.

I was considering a MP5 but my local site recently got a 'CYMA Blackwater M4 CQB' and its seriously tempting me. Would suit the smaller CQB games im mainly playing and give me a bit more reach for when I finally do hit the skirmishes. Would anyone have any experience by chance using that M4? Would it be alright for a beginner?

(I've only used their rental AKs and M16s so far. I prefer the slightly more compact feel of the AKs and sights but dam I have got awful luck with their mags so thats put me off them altogether. Budget wise im flexible dont want to go too insane on my first gun though but willing to pay for reliability.)

Thanks for any advice and just wanna say the forum is great!

The MP5 is a very different style to a short barrelled M4.

The MP5 is a classic but its more of a CQB weapon than woodland. Its longish magazines make it hard to lay prone and fire it and many variants dont have rails so you have to fit one or get a specific variant.

M4's are very common now and there are so many variants. Don't know much about this particular Cyma, but we use their AK's in our rental fleet. They tend to be hot when they come in so make sure you check it out and get the spring sorted if necessary.

TBH there are a lot of short M4s in the G&G range from the cheaper combat models up to the full metal models depending on how deep your pockets are, so I would look there too. Easy for spares, upgrades and getting them fixed.

Suggest you assess what length of rifle you could live with at your CQB site and then shop accordingly. Remember that suppressors if you want to add them, will increase that length.

Yeah I think I will ask to get a feel for it even to see if the short style m4s suit me before jumping at anything. The more I look at the MP5 mags the more I see myself just being annoyed with them too.

Failing that I think I might go for a G&G of some sort keep seeing positive posts about them on here. Just as long as it aint one of the ones with the front irons merged to the rail cause I cant be bothered with having to remove it! Want it to be ready to rock just out of the box.

Dont get me wrong.

The MP5 was the first airsoft RIF I bought and I love them - Im a real H&K fan.

I just wouldnt be content with it as my only weapon.

I have an MP7 and the UMP and they are different again.

Have you looked at the G36 series - thats a good compromise between short assault weapon and SMG style.

The police now use the 36 as a successor to the MP5.

Actually got to get my hands on a ICS MP5 (not a 100% sure on the exact model) with a retractable stock and top mounted RIS above the main body. Seriously tempted to go and pick it up tomorrow now and just wanted to ask if anyone has heard anything about the brand or how reliable they are? Its just 150 euros but would still like it to last ofc without too much tinkering.

Thanks again too for all the advice too its been really useful.

If you're getting a Blackwater gun, do not go to CYMA.

King Arms/Cybergun Blackwater BW15 is where it is at. Got one myself and it is absolutely fantastic. Has a unique look to it as well because of the handguard. CYMA is just asking for trouble.

Defintely leaning more towards the MP5 style again now I think because I love pushing objectives all the time. But thank you for letting me know about the CYMA version I have a bunch of mates all getting into airsofting big time too and i'll be sure to let them now as well incase any of them are thinking about it grabbing it.

Aside from the ICS MP5 though is their any other makes that I should be checking out for around a 150-200 price range. (Still need to pick up the essentials too and dont plan on cheaping out on eyeware.) Only think I'd be picky about is that I do prefer the adjustable stock version though. Any rails is just icing on the cake!

• Moderators

good little topic!...having similar issues myself although have a few months to decide as 2 more games to fit it (wish kids would go back!)....G36, MP5 M4 other!....so its best to stay away from Cyma then?, what about JG?

Cyma are good value for money.

We have their M4s and AK47's as hire guns and sell a bit of Cyma in the site shop.

A lot of our players choose to buy Cyma for their price and ruggedness. If you get them overseas, ask the supplier

to make a spring change to reduce their "hotness" to a UK site legal fps.

• Moderators

Cheers, will do, i'll do some more looking around and question asking!. I think as a first purchase or few, i'll stick to a UK based shop, fps of 2 sites is 345 / 350 so will need to be min 345

i did see a YouTube clip where someone changed the M16 motor it think which allowed a change in fps from indoor to outdoor play, im still catching up after years but is it that simple or does it vary from RIF to RIF make??

Always check the UK shop as some have been known to sell manufacturer sprung guns. As a precaution, suggest you verify what they are selling it at, if they dont list it on their website. Some retailers mark the box as they chrono/test prior to despatch.

Don't think its practical to keep changing springs for different games. Probably easier to have a short weapon for CQB and a long for outdoor games when you can.

• Supporters

i did see a YouTube clip where someone changed the M16 motor it think which allowed a change in fps from indoor to outdoor play

Changing the motor does nothing to the fps.

There are quick spring chage weapons. With the split gearbox ICS you can easily change the upper gearbox or there are some weapons that allow it: some AKs, G36s, G3s, etc. The normal M4 usually doesn't because you still have to completely remove the gearbox to access the quick spring change feature. There is one where you can change it through the buffer tube but that needs a special GB and body.

• Moderators

cheers for the replies guys,

2 guns it will be! (like the idea, although with my aim 5fps isnt gonna make a lot of difference! :lol: )

i'll check youtube again, i could be mistaken with what happened as i didnt think it was motor related (M16, changed part at top, at work i have small windows open of certain sites so as not to attract to much attention! :rolleyes: )

ok off to brooooowse.....

Yeah I think eventually I will get something for longer engagements maybe a L85. Finally getting a chance to take my MP5 down for a game today so will get to test how quick its shooting but even messing around in the back with targets im really happy with it. Will definitely need to pick up a few spare mags and a quick loader though.

Would anyone have any advice on just how much I should be winding up the hicap mag by the way? It seems I need to wind it every 20 or so shots so far, am I just not winding it up enough?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.