Semi-auto user, about to use lipo, mosfet yay or nay?

SCAR_Jester

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

so I'm about to change my gun into a dmr and want a faster trigger response (will be getting a high torque motor)

I also wanted to use a lipo battery in it, preferably an 11.1v with a mediocre to high discharge rate, not fussed if it's 11.1v

So, as I'm only going to be using semi and can't spam, do I need a mosfet in the gun?

If anyone has any good cheap lipo's/mosfets you can link that would also be dandy

Thanks

Corky

• Supporters

that depends upon the lipo, if it has a high C rating, then yeah.....

if its low .... eventually it will wear your trigger out

a fet will save your trigger ;)

that depends upon the lipo, if it has a high C rating, then yeah.....

if its low .... eventually it will wear your trigger out

a fet will save your trigger ;)

Maybe a related question to follow up for my own benefit, what're considered high and low C ratings? 20C? or more/less? Thanks.

• Supporters

Maybe a related question to follow up for my own benefit, what're considered high and low C ratings? 20C? or more/less? Thanks.

to be honest its all a matter of judgement and how you view/use your gun.

a trigger could be considered a "consumable item" (i consider it a consumable item, much like break pads on a car), thus if you use your gun 100% of the time every weekend 20c is high'ish, yet if you only play/use your gun once a month, 20c is low.

there is no boundary etc

hope you understand what i mean

• Supporters

In a word on 11.1v - YES you should fit a mosfet.

7.4v probably ok up to a minor tweak or two.

DMR say 130 spring torque motor - decent wire deans etc you should be putting a mosfet sooner rather than later...

Motor will draw as much juice as it possibly can and on semi the switch contacts will attempt to arc or at very least build up with crappy carbon deposits. Eventually you will need to open box to replace switch.

So I would suggest a basic mosfet n rewire - you got box open to change spring so may as well do it properly

Many will fit a fet on a tweaked 7.4v setup so on that I would say deffo yes on a DMR 11.1v setup

Right then so far it is it would appear, anyone got any good cheap ones off the top of your heads?

Also I only have a pdi 170% spring which seems lighter than a m130 spring but similar performance. Will I still need such a beefy motor?

What Motor are you going to be getting? Higher torque translates in to better trigger response (to a certain Point).

Cheap reliable mosfets:

http://firestorm.systems/shop/electronics.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AirFET-NB-non-braked-MOSFET-airsoft-AEG-switch-/191554913988?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c999006c4

Go to hobbyking for LiPo batteries, great value and performance. If you you want the best trigger response you want to go for the highest mAh and C rated Lipo you can fit in your AEG.

170% should be much harder to pull than a 130% one and reasonably more FPS. high torque motor prob required there, depends what motor you got in it already.

Guessing it's the ICS CXP16L?

ICS are a wierd one, their standard euro-version of the CXP16 will have a motor with enough torque (3000 model i think), but many UK retailers have got them to put a lesser motor in guns supplied to them (such as Fire Support as Frank told me) as the springs are down-graded to meet UK fps limits and not required...

Ah yes was an 'm' infront that 130 there, i read it as 130% for some reason. should be fine with existing motor if it is the ICS CXP16L, esp if it came with the motor it says on the box and not downgraded.

• Supporters

Right then so far it is it would appear, anyone got any good cheap ones off the top of your heads?

Also I only have a pdi 170% spring which seems lighter than a m130 spring but similar performance. Will I still need such a beefy motor?

Just noticed you got ICS which means you can change spring without opening box up completely.......

Many think say sniping sounds great but in actual fact a lot of people decide it is not really for them,

They become bored hanging back, overwatching and having to switch to secondary/retreat back as enemy closes in inside their MED

That in mind I would reckon you should decide if it is gonna be for you or just think it sounds good

Hence talk to others & maybe start games supporting or close to these guys - see how they play and see if you can see yourself

If enemy starts to close in below MED - then it is down to you to assist to prevent your DM guys being overun....

If you decide you still wanna go down that route - you need to lock your gun to semi....

One consideration is perhaps the "proper" burst wizard fet that can be programmed to fire only one shot in full auto

and should be ok for most sites - some sites can be picky on what classifies as DMR rather than a tarted up M4.

The Kong II is a proper 3034 burst fet but can be plugged in - not the proper instal but could fit this as temporary measure

So you could fir a stronger spring - lock to semi with burst - Kong is proper, the avacado is not a proper 3034 fet

Then try the DMR role and see how you go first....

If you think - hmm maybe or maybe not you haven't altered your gun too much....

Your ICS infinate or turbo should pull a higher spring ok for moment, many warmer imported guns shoot 400fps on much lower stock motors

So you should be fine to test out a DMR role for a skirmish or two with say 9.6v nimah or 7.4v lipo's

If after this testing of the water you wish to proceed then you can hardwire the Kong II in there, service box & seals aoe etc......

rewire deans blah blah blah - then that will improve the response and you will notice the difference even on stock motor

Safely use 11.1v batteries and not need the torque motor just yet - it can be done later if needed

Takes 5 mins to swap over motor - but coz you had the rewire and Kong hard wired properly in - all the donkey work is done already.

So if you are thinking of going down the DMR route - I would at very least chat & support any DM players first, offer support and

try to get a feel for that role to see if you think you will see yourself shooting less and not going nutz assaulting with regular aeg players

You can then do it in stages for a short brief while but easy on the juice until a fet is properly wired in before you go nutz on 11.1v

Plugging in a fet - even the Kong type does NOT offer any trigger contact protection until it is wired in properly

Well that is my take on it - many "think" DMR but reckon you should test the water first before you commit to any real upgrades

(though apart from quick spring change - the upgrades wouldn't be a waste but perhaps not an absolute must gotta spend out for normal aeg)

Kong was only one type - you could install a super duper Merf 3.2 for a little bit more, but is an Active Braking fet and AB's can

put a little more on motor as they brake the motor by reversing polarity. Some only use AB if they really need it

I am pretty sure the Kong II is not AB but offers standard non-AB 3034 with bells n whistles but there may be others

Merf 3.2 is AB and the AB can not be disabled - but a burst/programme fet is perhaps an easy way to lock it to semi for DMR

(Again - speak to some DMR players and see what they run with and your site's guidelines also)

Lipo 11.1, I personally think a mosfet is a good idea. It will work without one but your trigger contacts will get damaged faster, there is a reason they use mosfets on these high voltage and high current batteries.

• Supporters

Lipo 11.1, I personally think a mosfet is a good idea. It will work without one but your trigger contacts will get damaged faster, there is a reason they use mosfets on these high voltage and high current batteries.

This.

Also using a FET will bypass the trigger contacts which have a relatively high resistance thereby allowing more current to flow to the motor in turn improving its response. If trigger response is your goal then a FET is a bit of a no brainer really.

170% should be much harder to pull than a 130% one and reasonably more FPS. high torque motor prob required there, depends what motor you got in it already.

Guessing it's the ICS CXP16L?

ICS are a wierd one, their standard euro-version of the CXP16 will have a motor with enough torque (3000 model i think), but many UK retailers have got them to put a lesser motor in guns supplied to them (such as Fire Support as Frank told me) as the springs are down-graded to meet UK fps limits and not required...

No mate its for a Cyma M14 EBR (havent updated my guns yet haha)

Thanks all, got all the info I needed, sorry about the ICS gun confusion to some of you (I know the ICS turbo 3000 is pretty good, I've out performed some 9.6v's with an 8.4v in it :) )

So I'll look into a rewire (maybe) just to make things that wee bitty better, mosfet is now a must if/when I get a lipo.

Last question (I swear!):

Can I use a high torque motor well with an 8.4v battery or is it a dumb idea and should do the whole lot together?

• Supporters

Thanks all, got all the info I needed, sorry about the ICS gun confusion to some of you (I know the ICS turbo 3000 is pretty good, I've out performed some 9.6v's with an 8.4v in it :) )

So I'll look into a rewire (maybe) just to make things that wee bitty better, mosfet is now a must if/when I get a lipo.

Last question (I swear!):

Can I use a high torque motor well with an 8.4v battery or is it a dumb idea and should do the whole lot together?

Yes, you can use an HT motor with a Nimh but you won't get the best performance out of it. I've run mine standard on a 7.4v LiPo and it's pretty decent as is. I'd try it before you start ripping it apart...

Yes, you can use an HT motor with a Nimh but you won't get the best performance out of it. I've run mine standard on a 7.4v LiPo and it's pretty decent as is. I'd try it before you start ripping it apart...

Roger that :)

I run an ASG Ultimate 30000 rpm high torque motor in mine on a 7.4V and it notably increased trigger response. No doubt 11.1V will be better but until I put a mosfet in my gun I wont be moving up to 11.1s.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.