World of Tanks

Hubert

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Darn you am addicted to this now lol

Another victim falls to World of Tanks!

I can only apologise mate, if you're anything like me, this game will take over a ridiculous amount of your time.

I've finally reached my first tier 10 tank. FV4202 British medium. I'm now also bankrupt, so can't afford to buy ammunition for it...

Doing that with an ELC AMX is 10x better, you can take out heavy tanks with some care :)

My crusader says no. :P

A 6pdr gun with proper accuracy will make mince-meat of your puny russian tanks! :P

Do you have a gun which can take a KV1S on and win? :D

I take out KV1S's out regularly in the crusader, big gun, crap armour on the russian (compared to other t6 heavies).

But the crusader is thought as a more dangerous target by most players, so there'll be more attention on it compared to the ELC. I've seen Youtube vids where an ELC is ignored by tier 6 heavies while it's flanking them. The heavies are taking punishment from the ELC's team and the ELC finishes one off and assists in the other kill by about 280 hp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Got back from holiday and got massive cravings to reboot my PC gaming (or my excuse for PC gaming) and decided to test-run a couple of MMOs.

Picked this one up last night and so far pretty impressed.

The tech-tree is nice and the free-to-play is really good, seems I won't need to chuck a penny at it which is sweet.

Gameplay wise, little disappointed. I suck hairy sweaty donkey balls, literally my first game I rolled straight up a street and got slaughtered. I'm improving though, still annoyed that the only tank with which I succeed is French and I'm not even trying to surrender...

If you intend on driving the French tree, I'd suggest avoiding the heavy tree.
Driving the AMX-40 ("the duck") at tier 4 is one of the most frustrating experiences in game - especially if the match-maker decides to troll you by spawning you at the bottom of a hill. It has bouncy armour, but the gun is terrible and you are painfully slow. I honestly do not the end result (the french heavies) are worth all the effort.

The lights are fun and fast though.

Anyone grinding the British mediums - stop at the Comet. I'll admit that stock, it's awful. Worse than the Cromwell in every way. But once fully upgraded, it's probably the best (medium) tank in the British tree. Sure, it's slower than the Cromwell - but it's just as agile, has better cross-country performance and armour and the 77HV gun is brilliant.

It just goes down hill from there. There really is no need to go further.

Recently decided to start the US heavy tanks again, I kind of miss all that armour and the huge (but hilariously inaccurate) guns.

I look forward when they implement air amour and navy all into one game. That will be a awesome game.

War Thunder released some screen shots of their tank models for land-war mode this week.
They looked bloody good. To be honest, slightly better than WoT's tank models. If WT's tank combat is as good as its plane-combat, I know I'll enjoy it. The fact that they're adding playable anti-air vehicles is also a bonus, meaning ground-players won't be screwed over by planes.

Well it makes for good gameplay. Bombers will have even more of a role to play. Plus having anti air units are a huge helping hand when you have enemy fighters chasing you. You just turn around and fly them into your friendly AA.

All these F2P games are brilliant and I love the purchase models. Some F2P games are just terrible when it comes to what is free and what is paid for, while you get some that are just exceptional

Haha yeah, there's loads of "f2p" iPod/iPhone/iPad games, but their paid content is ridiculously expensive. World of Tanks is actually pretty reasonable. I prefer it to monthly subscriptions.

One thing I will say - I'm not a fan of World of Warplanes. While WoT is great - WoP is... obviously still in beta. The controls are lacking, the graphics aren't as good as War Thunder and WoP's aircraft choice is poor IMHO.

In theory, War Thunder's air-land combat should be pretty balanced too - at least in historical games.

People say tanks will get smashed by heavy bombers, but remember (at least in historical battles) heavy bombers like the B-17 always fly at 20K+ feet for bombing runs - far too high to hit tanks with accuracy. Tanks only have to worry about fighter bombers and tank-hunters (Typhoons, P-47s, JU-88s, etc) - but mobile AA (the German Wirblewind, the US M16-quad 50.cal, the British Crusader-AA) should have no trouble knocking fighter-bombers out of the sky.

Eagerly await the day War Thunder brings tanks in.

Yeah i have played some F2P games that insist you pay for almost everything. and the free gear you get is so underpowered it makes not paying not worth it.

War thunder the paid for planes, although are better for the low ranks, they dont feel over powered at all. and the only other paid for content is for those who are impatient to just play the game and level up the old fashioned way.

although it is a sligth disappointment with war thunder that you have to be a premium user to make a squad of more than 2 people.

World of war planes was just terrible for me. but it is still in beta so will see how it progresses. The arcade play in war thunder has really easy controls and isnt a nightmare to use. but for the harder player you can jump onto the real battles. although it does seem that no one actually goes for that opition as it takes about 10 minutes to find a game.
Also I'd love in all these games if they went from single match making to lobbys. that way you would get a decent map rotation going.

• Supporters

Constantly playing games and having people ask me why I'm not shooting the enemy they've spotted when they've rolled right up to the enemy tank for a point blank show down.

As a result have started ripping apart my own team mates as well as the enemy.

Standard, If i Play with dickish team mates who just go point blank, then you're going to get shot.

Whats even worse is when you get guys who just casually roll right in front of you as you're shooting.

Warning - long, nostalgia and rage fuelled wall of text ahead:

It wasn't always that way for Arty.
Once upon a time, SPGs were actually cared for, supported, and valued as members of the team. It was a magical time. People would go out of their way to scout for SPGs - but also protect them, knowing that they were useful - but - and this is very important - that SPGs could not win a game. They could help - but the skill/stupidity of a team's arty would not automatically lead to victory. SPGs would - usually - support teams with high damage output, rather than sniping a kill which was on 4%.(This last one infuriates me, especially if there are other targets visible)

Sadly, that time is long gone. The player-base became massive, SPGs were unintentionally buffed in a few patches, and more people started playing them. With more people playing as arty, you started to see idiots with increasing regularity, instead of the "old guard" of arty players, who actually knew what they were doing. Rather than 1-2 SPGs per team, we started seeing frankly insane 7-8 SPGs a side (now this has been limited to 5). Combined with their bigger and more powerful guns, SPGs became the scum of the earth. Even in games with a sane 2-3 SPGs on each team, higher tier SPGs could - and often did - win games. In fact they still do. In games of tier 8+, which have more than 2 SPGs each, it's usually the skill of the arty which decides the outcome.

Add in the fact that SPGs rarely go for sensible/strategically-wise targets, and it leads to more players thinking that arty are the scum of the earth, and deciding to let them rot (and laughing when the SPGs get hunted down). By this, I mean the "kill stealing". SPGs are about damage output, not kills. So it is incredibly infuriating to see the heavy tank you and 2 others have slowly been killing, get sniped at the last minute by some bastard on the other side of the map (who hadn't shot at him once) - when he really should have been shooting for something more important - like the enemy's SPGs, or TDs...

This ignores the inevitable friendly-fire. Usually occurs when the player tries to pull off a mind-numbingly stupid shot. Here's a tip (relevant not just to WoT) - you have 2 targets - one is danger close for an ally, the other is not. If there's a strong chance of you hitting (and killing -_- ) your buddy, it's probably best to go for the other target... Especially if the weapon you're using is a howitzer, which has a very large amount of splash-damage.

TL;DR - why don't most people look after or support their arty? 2 reasons - 1)morons, morons everywhere. 2)Due to point 1, people just stopped caring about arty, due to the likelihood that your SPG players were going to be as much use as a paper umbrella in a monsoon.

Shame my PC with WoT in it broke. Was looking forward to playing it this week (I alternate between games every while) but I can't be bothered to spend 64 hours downloading it onto the replacement.

Really? now they only allow F2P games on xbox. I guess they got enevyous of the PS3 with their F2P game model.

although Im guessing being xbox, dont expect often patching nor a massive amount of support. Its why CCP didnt release Dust 514 on xbox too, because microsoft wouldnt allow the regular patching that would of been required for the game to operate on their servers.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.