World of Tanks

Hubert

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Anyone else play?

I recently found out that I had been playing along side (and against :lol: ) a few of my airsofter mates and guys from my classes for almost 2 years without knowing, so just wondered if anyone here also played.

Been playing it since the first closed beta-test was launched - but sadly, almost 4 years on, I'm still a crap player :lol:

I've played since last November. I'm not the best, i've spent most of my time in-game grinding the US tank destroyers and US SPGs. I recently moved into French light tanks (tier 6 now :D ) and used the pentuple XP event to go up the Soviet SPGs and get to tier 5 in the British tank destroyer tree.

I spend too much time on it :P

First off, I'm a huge tread-head. I absolutely love tanks. So, personally I love the game. Its my biggest waste of time.

But - and this is a big but - playing this game can be both the most frustrating and satisfying game you'll play. It's the only game I've ever played that I've ever raged at*; the game is heavily dependant on your teams - get a bad team and boy will you know about it. You can give your best performance, play above and beyond the call of duty - and still, ultimately, lose, because you were stuck on a team of window-lickers. That said, I'm a truly crap player, but the further in the game you get, the more this will annoy you.

Currently on the tier-9 British medium, the Centurion 7/1, and it really is a frustrating, but fun time. Frustrating, because 1)I still need to learn how to drive it, 2) I've recently been stuck with useless teams who all lemming-train at the start, or artillery who couldn't hit a starship if they were parked in its cargo-bay. But, fun, because I can do a lot of hit-an-run on bigger tanks :lol: .

*To myself/shout at my computer. I'm not one of those cretins who vents their frustrations on a team via the in-game chat.

• Supporters

I've been going to bed watching SideStrafe play WoT on YouTube for absolutely ages now, I have a Mac so I can't play myself, but it's enjoyable to watch and SideStrafe has great commentary.

He also loves the British tree, despite being Canadian/American, so he gets points for that too. I think he's actually written a book about video game strategy and shit, so he's a cool guy to listen to, and he inspired me to start doing airsoft videos, it's how I actually discovered him.

He plays loadsa other games too, but his WoT videos are the best imo, they might help you become slightly less crappy Hugh haha, take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA7FCC80DB80CDF0F

Cheers Ed, I'll look into those.

Have you seen (The Mighty) Jingles, and his WoT and War Thunder videos? I quite enjoy them. Same goes for QuickyBaby. The two often live-stream together, usually pretty funny to watch. Since I started watching QuickyBaby, I feel I've started to play a bit better. Hell, I out-right copied one of his Centurion 7/1 tactics, and won the game for my team! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BohemianEagle?feature=watch

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCQWHq9e1hN268yjgYq-0hNw

Dasquirrelsnuts does a bit of WoT, although he mainly does guides for lower tier vehicles, tactics etc. But as squirrel says, the game just screams grind, grind, grind!! There's always more XP or credits needed, every time.

• Supporters

Cheers Ed, I'll look into those.

Have you seen (The Mighty) Jingles, and his WoT and War Thunder videos? I quite enjoy them. Same goes for QuickyBaby. The two often live-stream together, usually pretty funny to watch. Since I started watching QuickyBaby, I feel I've started to play a bit better. Hell, I out-right copied one of his Centurion 7/1 tactics, and won the game for my team! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BohemianEagle?feature=watch

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCQWHq9e1hN268yjgYq-0hNw

I've not heard of those channels, but I'll take a look.

I always wanted the game to encorporate modern tanks as well and I think if I played it I'd want to do historic battles.

SideStrafe has played War Thunder a few times, though he's probably the most terrible pilot ever lol, the arcade control mode looks horrific.

Some modern tanks could be a bit unfair, if not OP though. For example, there's a tank in development with BAE which hs these hexagonal panels on it's sides which can change the tank's thermal signature to that of a rock, a jeep or completely hide it. in a WoT with modern tanks IR vision modes would be inescapable, so that would render this tank almost like a TF2 Spy but with a 120mm gun and 100mm thick armour.

It annoys me that despite the fact they've been working on it for almost 2 years now, they haven't brought in historical battles in WoT,

They've said the in-game engine can't deal with smoothbore guns, so post 1965, other than the Challenger, Challenger 2 and the Indian Arjun tank*, there won't really be many modern tanks in game. World of British tanks? Hmm, actually I quite like the sound of that...

*A tank that took over 20 years to develop, only came into service in 2007, and was already completely obsolete - India capped production at under 200 and is seeking to buy surplus Russian kit...

• Supporters

Some modern tanks could be a bit unfair, if not OP though. For example, there's a tank in development with BAE which hs these hexagonal panels on it's sides which can change the tank's thermal signature to that of a rock, a jeep or completely hide it. in a WoT with modern tanks IR vision modes would be inescapable, so that would render this tank almost like a TF2 Spy but with a 120mm gun and 100mm thick armour.

Well obviously stuff like that wouldn't be included. IR vision modes, smoke launchers and thermal camo etc. And I'm sure BAe aren't developing a new tank, just that new coating for the current Challenger. I've seen the demo vids though and it looks immensely awesome.

You're probably right about them being OP though, I bet modern tanks like the Challenger and the Abrams would probably be completely imune to any of the guns on tanks in WoT, apart from maybe the 105mm ones. Irl Challenger IIs have been hit by over 70 RPGs of various sorts, including proper AT weapons and driven away without a scratch, the only one ever destroyed was in a friendly fire incident and even then that was only because the hatch was open and some shrapnel got in and ignited the ammunition's charges.

You're probably right about them being OP though, I bet modern tanks like the Challenger and the Abrams would probably be completely imune to any of the guns on tanks in WoT, apart from maybe the 105mm ones. Irl Challenger IIs have been hit by over 70 RPGs of various sorts, including proper AT weapons and driven away without a scratch, the only one ever destroyed was in a friendly fire incident and even then that was only because the hatch was open and some shrapnel got in and ignited the ammunition's charges.

Actually, the lower-hull of a tank - the sides where the suspension and road wheels are - is pretty thin. They were designed under the assumption that they'd rarely be hit (tanks either hull down and hidden or driving flat out), but IEDs weren't factored in during the design process. Which is why recently we've started seeing side-skirts re-appear. A hit there from a 90mm gun, or even an 76mm HV gun should be enough to damage the tank. A few of the Abrams lost in Iraq were due to RPGs hitting previously unknown weakspots next to the fuel tanks.

The Chally's turret is among the best protected turret armour around. Frontally, there's a good 2+ feet between the external armour surface and inner "shell" of the turret, not to mention a layer of something like kevlar inside to catch spalling. The roof is thicker than others, as the tank was designed under the assumption that it would spend most of its time hull-down and having artillery shells rain down on it.

Not to mention the fact that the Challenger 2's fire-control handset was designed after the PS1 controller. Clearly designed with the gamer generation in mind :lol:

• Supporters

It's an awesome beast of a tank, there really need to be more tank games.

Or at least more tanks in games.

BF3s lack of focus on anything that isn't Russian or American is slightly annoying. Where's my Sig P226 and Chally 2 at? D=

• Supporters

so your saying that all we need now is a decent war where we can use Tank's and all of our other Kit?

*Yells out the window* COME ON YOU FUPPING ARGIES I'M GETTING OLD OVER HERE!!

Back on Topic a Little More:

I Played once Loved it and decided i needed a Gaming PC something like early 2011

Having one of those nights, 15 losses and 3 wins -_-

139K away from my top-tier Brit medium, the FV4202 - the proto-Chieftain. This is going to take a looooooong time.

There's something fun about lower-tier games. Trundling about in a Churchill and knocking the crap out of panzer IVs and T-34s...

a bit off topic, but which (in your own opinion) is the best tank? taking into consideration everything, like an abrams fuel consumption, or a merkava's troop carrying capability.

That's a good one. I guess it depends on exactly what you're looking for and what you want them to do.

I think if you put the Challenger 2's armour on a Leopard 2, you'd probably have the answer.
Or put the Leo's L55 gun, fire-control systems and engine on the Challenger.

That said, the L30 gun isn't completely useless, when you remember it's predecessor, the L11, scored the longest tank-tank kill in history, at a range other guns would have difficulty with.

The only good aspect about the Abrams is that it can be updated and upgraded. Given new guns, electronics, etc. Basically, it's good because it can copy what the smart kids have done. The M1 only had a 105mm gun - when Britain and Germany had been using 120mm guns for upwards of 25 years...

Any tank which has an auto-loader fails IMO. A loader will always be useful - because you have an extra body in the tank. You can 1/4 the work load (maintenance, cleaning, guard duty, bombing up), rather than giving 3 people a lot of work. And remember, while both an auto-loader and a human can fail - it's a lot easier to replace the loader, than it is to take the tank apart to remove the auto-loader...

So what your saying is that the leopard is like a fast featherweight boxer, with a good right hook. And the Challenger is a heavyweight with an okay jab?

• Supporters

What is the longest range tank kill, out of interest?

I'ma guess something around 4 miles...?

I'm not great with boxing analogies, so I can't really say.

The Leo is more agile and slightly faster, with a gun with better penetration (but it's not much. We're talking mm here). But, the Chally makes up for the lack of penetration with range and accuracy, and having even more armour.

Ed, Challenger 1 took out tanks at 3.2 miles/ 5.1 KM

If I was going to pick an all round best tank, I'd probably say the Centurion. It pretty much laid the foundation for what we know as the MBT (the triangle of protection, firepower and mobility), it was incredibly reliable and robust, and it can still take upgrades. They're still in service in some places - with 120mm guns and modern electronics. Not too shabby for something that was originally designed in 1944.

• Supporters

And they look cool as shit.

I've got a little Hornby model toy one, it's awesome.

I thought that the FV was a later version of the Centurion though, I didn't realise it was the Cheiftan's prototype.

No doubt on the fact that the centurion is the best tank, with the T34 during WWII.

It's rather ironic that during WW2 we had the worst tanks, yet we are consistently making the best tank post WWII.

I'll be honest Ed, I was just being lazy when I called the FV4202 the proto-Chieftain. It was a test-bed experimental vehicle which took the best bits of the Cent, and the research lead to a lot of the design elements being put into the Chieftain (like the reclined driver's position).

T-34s are so fun to come up against. Yeah, they're a lot faster than my Churchill tank. But that doesn't help them when I use my 40 tonne tank as a roadblock. Smash! :P

In game the Centurion is one of those things that either does really well, or is completely and utterly useless. Those smug drivers of Russian tanks in their T-54s aren't so smug once they've met the nasty end of a Royal Ordnance L7 105mm gun...

Sadly geoffreym, tank industry (design, manufacturing) in the UK has almost gone the way of the Dodo; politics, corruption and incredible stupidity have left Britain's tank industry (like everything else :rolleyes: ) in ruins. But, that's a story for another thread.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.