Buying a gun, need some fps help

Yashy

I can ask for this gun to be lowered in fps and jouls, If i wanted to make it compatible with outdoor play at 0.25 or higher.

(I'm still not understanding the fps requirement in sites)

So to make this gun compatable and not get kicked out of every site what can I ask the person to do make sure I can fit the requirements of nearly all sites in UK?

https://www.therealdealairsoft.com/products/pre-build-mk18-goblin

Ask them to make it run at 1 Joule using your preferred BB weight with the hop set for perfect flight, but holy fuck, that is a price!

Edited by Colin Allen

• Moderators

According to the link, you can specify either 400 or 350fps, I think there's your answer, just ensure you've picked the right option at checkout.

(350 obviously)

The sites can vary in terms of fps (at a given weight of BB) or a joule limit based on the conditions of their liability insurance policy.

That ~1.4J/400fps spec is presumably for a DMR setup as it's illegal to have a full-auto capable airsoft gun above 1.3J without a section 5 licence.

As Colin said, if you ask them to tune the gun to run at a maximum of 1 joule with a chosen weight of BB and they can oblige you on that, that ought to suit you with the majority of UK sites if you don't want to swap springs.

As others have posted, whoever you get to do the work to set it to 1j on whatever your preferred bb weight is (personally I wouldn't go below .28g). This will keep you below the limits for 99% of UK sites.

9 hours ago, Yashy said:

(I'm still not understanding the fps requirement in sites)

The fps limit will differ for different bb weights as the heavier the object being moved, the more energy is required to match velocity of a lighter one. Hence why a fully loaded car will accelerate slower than an empty one.

The 3XXfps is a throwback to when virtually everyone used .2g bbs so it was easier to just use fps

10 hours ago, Yashy said:

I wouldn't touch that site with a barge pole. That's a hell of a lot of money for a gun where you don't know the make and half the upgrades listed are very vague about what you're getting. They're also making some claims which are frankly ridiculous, eg the realistic sound and that shaving a couple of teeth off the piston saves on weight

8 hours ago, Galvatron said:

That ~1.4J/400fps spec is presumably for a DMR setup as it's illegal to have a full-auto capable airsoft gun above 1.3J without a section 5 licence.

Unfortunately there's no mention of restricting it to semi auto so I'm hoping it's something that was forgotten or is aimed at players in countries where higher muzzle energy is allowed. I wouldn't put money on it though considering the number of UK shops who will happily sell (usually clone) guns which are way above uk site/legal limits

2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

I wouldn't touch that site with a barge pole. That's a hell of a lot of money for a gun where you don't know the make and half the upgrades listed are very vague about what you're getting. They're also making some claims which are frankly ridiculous, eg the realistic sound and that shaving a couple of teeth off the piston saves on weight

They're a US-based youtube channel that started by posting builds, guides and tutorials showcasing their work on customer guns, eventually moving onto developing/adding input for custom parts to have made [ala negative helping to spec out and design parts] and from the outside looking in they've got good results. This is no different to the idea of Bolster armoury stuff, high end prebuilts that have warranties so if money's no object and you just want """"the best"""" or whatever I don't see why it's such a bad thing, even if it's pretty tasteless imo (the black topographic markings are cool though)

The limits of 400/350 are probably for outdoor/indoor limts in the US. From what I'm guessing these use a CYMA MK18 platinum (or whatever it's called in the US, a EMG? idk lol) as a base gun with the topgraphic markings and receiver cuts milled/cnc cut into the receiver alongside the drop stock and other maxx parts added.

Them being US based is a bit of a nightmare though as I've no idea if they've got somebody this side of the pond to do repair work or maintenance, and the DSG linked in the OP will need looking at every now and again because it's a 40 RPS DSG at the end of the day, or if they'll even ship to the UK regardless with all the hoops you've got to jump through to do so.

Like everybody else has said in the replies - you can get in touch with them and let them know what weight & joules you'll be wanting to use and they'll tune the thing to that spec.

Edited by pyromancer6

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

As others have posted, whoever you get to do the work to set it to 1j on whatever your preferred bb weight is (personally I wouldn't go below .28g). This will keep you below the limits for 99% of UK sites.

The fps limit will differ for different bb weights as the heavier the object being moved, the more energy is required to match velocity of a lighter one. Hence why a fully loaded car will accelerate slower than an empty one.

The 3XXfps is a throwback to when virtually everyone used .2g bbs so it was easier to just use fps

Unfortunately there's no mention of restricting it to semi auto so I'm hoping it's something that was forgotten or is aimed at players in countries where higher muzzle energy is allowed. I wouldn't put money on it though considering the number of UK shops who will happily sell (usually clone) guns which are way above uk site/legal limits

I tried goggling their location, what I got was very vague, but as you've mentioned, everything had a US feel which would be a big concern for me if I was chucking a grand at a gun (it'd never happen lol).

@Yashy, no offense, you've been here a while but the questions in your post makes me feel that your still quite new to the airsoft "scene" ?, if this is the case, why do you feel the need to blow a grand on an airsoft gun that only it's sellers sing the praises of, with fairly outlandish claims, when that kind of spend could get you two or three very good quality guns in the uk, which would also be reassuring when it comes to returns, technical assistance, or spares etc.

I wouldn't trust any retailer website that doesn't give their address and a contact number, let alone one that wants nearly a grand off me.  In the UK, businesses are legally required to show an address on their website if they are selling goods or services.  For limited companies it must be the company registered address.  For sole traders it's a bit more woolly and I believe they can get get away with a PO Box for example, but I'm not sure I'd chuck money at a company that only uses a PO Box address.  I would have thought there would be similar laws in the US?

3 hours ago, pyromancer6 said:

Words

I didn't realise they're in the USA, that fits for the 400 fps. However it doesn't detract from my other points.

Tbh I kind of feel the same about the Bolster stuff from PB. Over priced clones where only the sellers singing their praises. As we all know in airsoft more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better

So your gonna by a gun built and tuned to a high level from an american company.  Running at that sort of performance ( to be honest if you are shooting at 40rps your gonna be getting into a lot of trouble or banned from sites ) it will need maintenance and any guarantee is next to worthless as shipping a gun back to US is expensive and requires US Govt issued Paperwork.

Why not but a good solid gun from a UK shop, run it for awhile and see what if any upgrades you want.  You won't get the fancy laser engraved topographic design, but you could get a simpler and custom to you design engraved on or cerakoted.  

Honestly mate that US Gun is a bad idea.

1 hour ago, BigAl said:

So your gonna by a gun built and tuned to a high level from an american company.  Running at that sort of performance ( to be honest if you are shooting at 40rps your gonna be getting into a lot of trouble or banned from sites ) it will need maintenance and any guarantee is next to worthless as shipping a gun back to US is expensive and requires US Govt issued Paperwork.

Why not but a good solid gun from a UK shop, run it for awhile and see what if any upgrades you want.  You won't get the fancy laser engraved topographic design, but you could get a simpler and custom to you design engraved on or cerakoted.  

Honestly mate that US Gun is a bad idea.

https://www.therealdealairsoft.com/products/daniel-defense-brushless-pdw

Alright, This gun I can change the fps with a spring changer, do you think this is a good idea? (please look at the specs)

1 hour ago, Yashy said:

Alright, This gun I can change the fps with a spring changer, do you think this is a good idea? (please look at the specs)

No. Once again the muzzle energy is over 1.3j so is a section 5 firearm and with a rof that high you're going to piss people off very quickly.

There's also the issue of what happens when it gets into the country. If HMRC get their hands on it and you can't provide a defence it'll go in the crusher and you won't get your money back.

Is there any reason you're not wanting to buy from a UK shop?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Yashy said:

No, bad idea, same firm, same bs, same nightmares if anything isn't right.

If they ship it over & it has ANY issues, are you gonna happily sit on your hands while it trundles slowly back the usa, & hope that when (or if ?) it comes back it's sorted.

Alternatively, for 600 quid, buy a long & a short specna with quick spring changes, & bask in the smug glory that success brings😏

We are all assuming your in the uk ?

Also don't forget the list price doesn't include postage which will push the total cost up significantly 

3 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

I didn't realise they're in the USA, that fits for the 400 fps. However it doesn't detract from my other points.

Tbh I kind of feel the same about the Bolster stuff from PB. Over priced clones where only the sellers singing their praises. As we all know in airsoft more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better

100% agree - you're paying for the white glove service and bragging rights more than anything. I've tried one of the bolster ARs when somebody had one at our site and they're fucking awesome and all but not £1399 awesome at the end of the day.

If money's no object (which it doesn't look like, considering they're looking at expensive pre-builts) I'd suggest they either look into a 'custom' pre-built sourced from the UK (bolster, DCA do them iirc and a few other places) that has a warranty so they don't have to worry, or just pony-up and buy a few decent pews & send them off to a decent tech to get done instead if they're chasing high end performance & parts [which doesn't always mean better!]

• Supporters

The prices are in whole numbers of GBP, which suggests it's a UK seller, but "1.4 Joules 40 RPS about 390 FPS with .2" is a Section 5 firearm. 🤷‍♂️

The lack of any name, address, contact, shipping or warranty information - and the Skylar Reddit Tech vibes - gets the hardest of hard nos from me.

If you have that money to spend, I'd get on to Luke at https://negativeairsoft.com/contact/ to discuss what you want. Be precise, and prepared to have the piss rightfully ripped out of you if your requirement is "Bestest airsoft gnu evar to dominate the field at airsoft wars, mister".

14 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

The prices are in whole numbers of GBP, which suggests it's a UK seller, but "1.4 Joules 40 RPS about 390 FPS with .2" is a Section 5 firearm. 🤷‍♂️

The lack of any name, address, contact, shipping or warranty information - and the Skylar Reddit Tech vibes - gets the hardest of hard nos from me.

If you have that money to spend, I'd get on to Luke at https://negativeairsoft.com/contact/ to discuss what you want. Be precise, and prepared to have the piss rightfully ripped out of you if your requirement is "Bestest airsoft gnu evar to dominate the field at airsoft wars, mister".

It’s not so obvious on a mobile device browser but you can change the currency to any country you like.  Here it is in NZ dollars…. 

IMG_1199.thumb.jpeg.db6f69336a16ba2816aac91b3e5359e4.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Cannonfodder said:

Also don't forget the list price doesn't include postage which will

push the total cost up significantly 

And also need to add import VAT, duty and fees.

Edited by TrooperX

Tell us where abouts in the country you are and we can recommend a good shop that will steer you right.  As previously commented by someone you come across as a newcomer to the sport, if so forget about custom guns.  Get a good solid gun, low to mid end and some experience.  Don't even consider a custom build or boutique build untl you know what you are talking about.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, TrooperX said:

It’s not so obvious on a mobile device browser but you can change the currency to any country you like.  Here it is in NZ dollars…. 

Yup, I spotted that, but blithely assumed that the whole-number GBP figures implied UK. However, it seems that prices in all currencies have the pennies rounded off,  except for USD, where some $99.99 style prices can be found.  That (and the orange tips) actually supports it being US, and a super-duper-mega hard "no", given the whopping duties, postage and import shenanigans for what might turn out to be a bag of rocks.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, TrooperX said:

IMG_1199.thumb.jpeg.db6f69336a16ba2816aac91b3e5359e4.jpeg

And also need to add import VAT, duty and fees.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Yup, I spotted that, but blithely assumed that the whole-number GBP figures implied UK. However, it seems that prices in all currencies have the pennies rounded off,  except for USD, where some $99.99 style prices can be found.  That (and the orange tips) actually supports it being US, and a super-duper-mega hard "no", given the whopping duties, postage and import shenanigans for what might turn out to be a bag of rocks.

They'll take your money, big money 💰, wherever you are, one example in the drop down currency menu is Australia,  where ironically,  airsoft is still illegal in all states.......imagine the op is an aussie, takes the plunge & orders, after all it must be alright because surely the site wouldn't give me the price in aussie dollars otherwise, only to have it confiscated by customs & gets a big fine in the process, I'm sure realdealairsoft.com will put their hands up & say "soz, our bad, here's your full refund"

Not😏

The website is located on GoDaddy's Arizona datacenter, which is only offered to customers with a US Domestic zip code - It says it is shopify, but it isn't.

Edited by GiantKiwi