TM standard MP5k vs JG MP5k vs Classic Army MP5k - Exterior Build Quality

ruskitseller

Hi all,

I am wondering which would be better build quality out of the three in terms of strength and durability of exterior parts. Internals can be chopped and changed so I'm not worried about that, but I am looking to put together a lightweight sniper loadout with an MP5k as a sidearm. Cyma is out as its versions are weightier than both. 

The TM's top receiver (non High cycle) is made of ABS and I believe the JG and CA Mp5k's TR (I believe its the same for the standard Cyma MP5k too) is made of pot metal. 

So I am wondering what would structurally be better. Maybe too hard to say and either of these platforms will be good? I am aware that the TM MP5k is old kit now and you would think that a new JG/Cyma/CA would be be much better in terms of build - but TM's seem to cost more and hold more value and TM also use a high quality ABS from experience.

Anyone, as well as TM/JG/CA MP5K owners wish to chime in on build quality and general experience?

Thanks

Edited by ruskitseller

• ruskitseller changed the title to TM standard MP5k vs JG MP5k vs Classic Army MP5k - Exterior Build Quality

I'd personally buy a HC because altough fps is low you're compensated by good rate of fire. I think it's pretty light as well I don't think it's more than 2kg. And if you keep it stock it runs forever. Also, used good deals pop up sometimes so you don't even have to pay retail prices if you're not in a rush.

Unless you fancy a spaceship cyma mp5k with really questionable mosfet:
https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/cyma-cm-041l-smg-5k-m-lok-upgraded-version.

Probably a Mk23 or any pistol is "better" than a mp5k simply because less weight and you can holster it a lot easier. But I never played as a sniper so... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Krisz

Thanks for the info chaps. So one vote for HC so far. :D

Yeah Apache is nice, but aiming for less weight. I am mainly wondering about build quality though rather than anything else. 

Cheers

2 hours ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

Classic army will always have a better exterior build quality than TM and JG

Thanks for your input. I wonder how you came to this conclusion? Is it by experience? Or perhaps they use a better casting?  What you say does make sense though, I had a CA M4A1 and it was built really well, even though it was a very old one. Cheers

35 minutes ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

Yes lots of experience, I'm a HK whore, owned over 700 airsoft rifles and the vast majority have been HK stuff 

CA will always have the better, more tougher externals when it comes to AEG's VS TM and JG 

Cheers Jez. That helps. Are CA still going? Their website is not so good...I believe they were originally B&T? Also the RIF I am looking at seems to be older B&T stock, so I wonder if their older stuff was better or worse? I have read some say better and others say worse. 

Edited by ruskitseller

• Supporters
21 hours ago, Krisz said:

Probably a Mk23 or any pistol is "better" than a mp5k simply because less weight and you can holster it a lot easier.

Consider magazines and ammo though.  A Galaxy MP5K with hundreds of rounds of ammo comes in at no more than a gas pistol and a handful of mags.

On that, I would rule out the Galaxy if you're looking for exterior quality, as they're thin plastic and built down to a budget (although the internals are fine). I can't speak to the others, I only buy cheap tat. ;) 

2 hours ago, ruskitseller said:

I believe they were originally B&T

B&T is a Swiss weapons company, which represents, among others, H&K.

34 minutes ago, ButcherBill said:

How many have you got left?

A fair few to keep me happy 

But this is over the course of 20 years playing, buying broken, fixing and selling on 

3 minutes ago, Colin Allen said:

B&T is a Swiss weapons company, which represents, among others, H&K.

^^ this 

B&T is real world stuff 

2 hours ago, ruskitseller said:

Cheers Jez. That helps. Are CA still going? Their website is not so good...I believe they were originally B&T? Also the RIF I am looking at seems to be older B&T stock, so I wonder if their older stuff was better or worse? I have read some say better and others say worse. 

I think they are still going but like most manufacturers you can't just buy direct from them you have to go via shops 

I say the old stuff is amazing, can't say I've had anything new from them for a number of years but if a CA G3 came up I'd snap someone's arm off for it 

19 minutes ago, Jez_Armstrong said:

A fair few to keep me happy 

But this is over the course of 20 years playing, buying broken, fixing and selling on 

^^ this 

B&T is real world stuff 

I think they are still going but like most manufacturers you can't just buy direct from them you have to go via shops 

I say the old stuff is amazing, can't say I've had anything new from them for a number of years but if a CA G3 came up I'd snap someone's arm off for it 

Great thanks for all your help Jez. Last thing - does anyone know if Cyma MP5 parts compatible with Classic Army MP5's? By parts I mean things like MLOK foregrips and stocks. Many thanks.

First off B&T is Brugget & Thomet is a Swiss Arms Company, they make the MP5 under license from HK.  Classic army used to make an MP5's with B&T Trades on. I have an SD one for sale. ;)

Secondly the TM may have a  plastic upper but it is small made of good plastic with no heavy forend on it unlike M16's so it's not a problem.  As your after a light reliable back up I would go with the TM.

• Supporters

I have the CA MP5K and MP5A3. They're both bombproof. The K is a lot older and more basic but the A3 is relatively new and now comes with a Mosfet (basic but functional). Both great guns and I would personally choose them over others as they still make guns with SEF lowers which is clearly the superior choice. Clearly.

Personal experience the CA has nicer externals put I have had several H&K CA that have sheared at the barrel/gas tube end of the receiver. I honestly think the TM is more robust and cheaper to replace receivers if they break. I also  find the hop adjust awkward on the K and if you want a lightweight compact AEG I would take a P90 over an MP5K

3 hours ago, Lozart said:

I have the CA MP5K and MP5A3. They're both bombproof. The K is a lot older and more basic but the A3 is relatively new and now comes with a Mosfet (basic but functional). Both great guns and I would personally choose them over others as they still make guns with SEF lowers which is clearly the superior choice. Clearly.

👀

20240906_172830.jpg