Waco’s guide to field sustainment

Important pack features:

or

“Things that affect how your ruck takes load. And no I am not talking about your mother”.

Buying surplus in general grades such as 1,2 and super are often quoted. Prices roughly reflecting west and tear.

• “Super” should be like new.

• ”1” Used but complete, probably marked and might have non-critical wear.

• “2” Heavily worn. I’d expect to have to do some sewing or replace fittings.

Unfortunately these definitions are somewhat  loose and I have bought super/a+ grade kit that needed repair and grade 2 was fine.

B10E4FFE-0DCF-43C5-9DB9-97D27E316966.thumb.jpeg.eb3cd34261f310500e96d0b5d2234d93.jpeg

When you get a bigger pack, apart from capacity, the pack itself may be sized or have an adjustable back length. So check it’s the right size. 
  If you can try it with some load in it too.

Features that affect carrying the load and comfort are:

• Bag shape

• Back support/frame

• Shoulder straps & adjustment

• Shoulder lifter straps

• Waist belt padding

AE9293DE-1CDD-4EC6-B8A5-C5B43331ABB9.jpeg.93f3a05eeed821256d81b1d5fc0c78d5.jpeg

1) Bag shape.

Short wide packs often put the weight further back from your centre of gravity unless carefully loaded. Example US Alice.

Tall narrow packs can be better in the hills but snag overhead and if you go prone can ride up making shooting/watching awkward. Most modern packs have gone this way. Example Berghaus Vulcan.

2) Pack frame. A big bag needs some kind of structure to support the load others it flips about all over the place. I think Internal vs external frame design largely moot, go with what works for you.

External frames keep the pack away from your back but the frame can make “hot spots” more common. Example US MOLLE2.

Internal frames use a bit of back padding (sweaty back time) or a spacer (airflow back) so the load isn’t poking on your spine. Karrimor SF Predator.

3) Shoulder straps are obvious need some adjustment. I have had a few bags where the adjustment was very limited so once you had layers on getting the packing and off was PITA!

Some packs, typically external frame ones, have removable straps. Sometimes after market upgrades are available such as for ALICE & MOLLE packs. 
 On some Bergen’s you can switch where the shoulder straps fit, handy if you have a far neck.

Sternum straps allow you to pull the shoulder straps in a bit for stability and to relieve the straps pulling your shoulders back.

4) Load lifter straps are adjusters on the top of shoulder straps that you tension to “lift” the load, really they are pulling the weight closer to your centre of gravity. See how to pack a Bergen below.

Useless on packs with no frame and waist support.

5) Waist/hip belts should be the main support for the load. Padding is nice but too much can be a problem as much as too little. Some very well engineered and custom packs use unpadded belts that are sewn to clinch on the wearers hips. I’m looking at you Kifaru!

Most belts have an adjustable side release similar buckle. Quite often there are tensioners on either side as well.

Edited by The Waco Kid

Setting up and loading a pack:

I am doing this back to front as adjusting your pack is best done with some weight in it.

Pack adjustment:

1) Start with the straps pretty loose.

2) put the pack on and get the belt so it sits on and around your hips. This is where to much padding can be awkward. Fasten and adjust the buckle to it’s snug. Tighten up any side adjusters, might be as many as four, so they are also snug.

3) Pull the shoulders straps until

the load comes into you back and is stable. Do up any sternum strap. You do not want it so tight is restrict your breathing.

4) Tension the load lifter straps. You don’t need to pull them as tight as possible as this will shorten the shoulder straps on most designs. Just so the load comes in and a stable, you should still be able to look up.

125003B9-E7B8-4C87-BFEC-7328EC56B695.jpeg.54dd97a2c41c9609fde9b8554bd4efd6.jpeg

Although however you set up your pack you are not beating the little old lady from the mountain village.

Plus she can drink her own weight in diesel and still walk home.

Edited by The Waco Kid

Some ways to load a pack:

Method 1 is heavy items at the top and close to your back. This is recommended for effective weight distribution.

EA848776-1AC2-430E-ACB8-FC4A6F992DEF.thumb.jpeg.7dc0858b7f4db63e2099b53ad5412a31.jpeg

From top to bottom every thing is stacked heaviest to lightest.

• Water

• Day sack with stove and sundries under the lid

• Sleeping bag in rubble sack

• Water proofs, ECWCS is heavy!

• Shelter

• Clothing

• Food

• Wash kit

• Thin ground sheet

• Spare light weight foot wear

• kit mat down the inside the bag, away from the body.

If the day sack isn’t carried the individual items would be further down the list. 

Edited by The Waco Kid

6 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Project Payne

Spot the difference between Fusiler Payne liberating Europe vs a day or weekend playing in the woods

https://www.slideshare.net/slideshow/uk-combat-load/78701547

IMG_3113.png.8e547de74ea789f86d3fe4052195f1f7.png

A well established and organised logistic chain to support, from organic in-house CQMS at tactical level all the way through the effort to deliver strategically - Mulberry Harbour anyone?

Well he does have a moscart launcher.

I think they called them Very pistols back then. 🤔

Hard to tell if it’s two tone though… 😆

I try not to have more than 10-12kg of gear for a hike. Knees are now fitted backwards anyway. I might just weigh a little more than the average soldier too. 🍰 🥧🍻

Edited by The Waco Kid

1 hour ago, The Waco Kid said:

Hard to tell if it’s two tone though… 😆

Of course it’s two tone …… black & white

1 hour ago, The Waco Kid said:

I think they called them Very pistols back then. 

‘Very pistol’, not one of those namby pamby ‘slightly pistols’

On 02/07/2024 at 19:12, Davet said:

A well established and organised logistic chain to support, from organic in-house CQMS at tactical level all the way through the effort to deliver strategically - Mulberry Harbour anyone?

Amateurs talk strategy, professionals talk logistics 

………..

Damn you for making me quote that … I work in an area where I keep trying to tell people that we are in the business of high level strategy and shouldn’t get bogged down into the nitty gritty other than to validate data quality as on a valid base.

……. And that we make sure that those along the line don’t try and focus too high on strategy when they need to be ensuring practical realities including the logistics

We should inform the high level thinking giving someone a direction, empowering them and trusting them to do so professionally (and that they will push back on us when necessary)