Sub £100 bolt action - worth buying?

Firstly, hear me out! I'm wondering if there is a budget bolt action sniper rifle worth buying for under £100?

I'm not looking to skirmish with it or be the next Novritsch, it would just be for plinking and fun shooting.

I'm a member at an airgun club so would be just for targets but it's 62 yards so would be good to see what it can do at that range.

There's loads of rifles available but I have no clue about which ones are actually any good and actually produce the 450fps+ that they claim.

So any recommendations? Or are they all crap?🤣

Edited by ibo7

Some of cheap one are utter shite, but it's a very much suck and see. 

If you can stretch the budget ever so slightly, the jg bar 10 is a vsr clone that a lot of folk have gone for as it cheap, and really easy to upgrade of you want to take it more places than a short range.

I have two Well MB01 (L96) (actually one is an MB08, but that's just a different stock design  - same working parts). One shot acceptably well of of the box, and could actually be fielded as a vaguely competitive rifle. The other, out of the box,  was utterly put in the shade by every one of my GBB pistols, and required a few hundred spending on it to get it very good. So  - at that price range, pure luck of the draw! That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained, and if it turns out it needs updgrading, that's pretty fun.

For plinking, you still want something relatively accurate, otherwise there isn't any real point to it. I'd venture that, given the inherent accuracies of even the most amazing airsoft platform, you would have more plinking fun with the fast fire capabilities of a GBB or AEG, at closer range, and focusing more on speed etc.

Not the forum to discuss in depth but any reason to not just buy an air rifle if you're taking it to am airgun range? I have both Airsoft and air rifles, the accuracy of any airsoft gun pales in comparison.

42 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Not the forum to discuss in depth but any reason to not just buy an air rifle if you're taking it to am airgun range? I have both Airsoft and air rifles, the accuracy of any airsoft gun pales in comparison.

I have air rifles already, just thought about adding an airsoft rifle for plinking with as I've not owned a bolt action yet. Just to add to a bit of fun at the range 

I can add to Lord_Poncho's comment about the WELL MB01

I got one to try out as it was cheap and wanted to try a boltie just in the garden.  I was lucky enough to get a relatively good one.

It shoots almost exactly 450fps(0.2g) stock and is accurate enough to reliably hit a tin can at 15m which is the max distance I can shoot in my garden. (I use 0.3g BBs)

Haven't tried it in an actual game but for a bit of plinking fun its quite satisfying. (Tip: Pull the bolt as close to the body as possible to avoid too much side torque)

BUT if you're after accuracy then stick to air rifles as airsoft is nowhere near as accurate.

Edited by EDcase

Fair enough, I've just found the quality per £, far higher in the air rifle world than Airsoft. £450 in Airsoft gets you a Taiwan made plastic musket, slinging light spherical objects at 2.2J. In the air rifle world it gets you something made in Germany from beech and steel, firing through a rifled barrel at 16J.

The obvious advantage to Airsoft being able to skirmish with it.

In answer to your question, I'd say pick up any cheap Well rifle. It'll probably be OK for your purposes and if not, you can enjoy tinkering with it.

On 14/03/2024 at 20:12, Cr0-Magnon said:

Fair enough, I've just found the quality per £, far higher in the air rifle world than Airsoft. £450 in Airsoft gets you a Taiwan made plastic musket, slinging light spherical objects at 2.2J. In the air rifle world it gets you something made in Germany from beech and steel, firing through a rifled barrel at 16J.

The obvious advantage to Airsoft being able to skirmish with it.

In answer to your question, I'd say pick up any cheap Well rifle. It'll probably be OK for your purposes and if not, you can enjoy tinkering with it.

I should have mentioned I actually shoot air rifles lol. I can shoot half inch groups at 35-40 yards with them but would never expect that from any airsoft gun, it's impossible. Just for fun and for the garden too is all I expect.

I'd expect a bolt action to be more accurate than an AEG but it seems that's not always the case unless you pay the premium or upgrade it to the max. I'll keep an eye out for a cheap bolt action springer or possibly another AEG