Question for any experienced gun techs (RESOLVED)

Guest Marauder211

Guest Marauder211

I have a VZ58M long version that I bought as a bonyard project and needs a mosfet replacement, thing is Ares being Ares they love proprietary stuff and I can't find their mosfets anywhere in the uk, the Czech sites I have visited all don't shop to the UK so I am wondering this: would and V3 gearbox be it Ares or any other brand work in this gun? Or am I just out of luck? If I can't get it working that sucks but it was a freebie along with a compact VZ58 that works.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Marauder211

Unfortunately it's its own style of gearbox, so a V3 wouldn't fit.

I've had the same issue in the past myself tbh and I had to message Ares directly, so that's probably your best bet; they were fairly prompt with sending out a replacement, but that was a few years ago now.

I could use a couple of the mosfets myself really, so let me know how you get on if you do!

Guest Marauder211
4 hours ago, Hudson said:

I've had the same issue in the past myself tbh and I had to message Ares directly, so that's probably your best bet; they were fairly prompt with sending out a replacement, but that was a few years ago now.

I could use a couple of the mosfets myself really, so let me know how you get on if you do!

Sadly that's what I suspected, I'll just have to keep searching. For some reason Ares aren't getting back to me about anything and I have checked my spam filter, it's been over 3 weeks 😕 I'm determined though, I will find this part

1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

I don't think I've ever seen an ARES v3 gearbox, however their V2's were originally ZCI's micro-switch design.  Does it look like this?

image.jpeg.9829ada4941aee99cdb614966db8e4ae.jpeg

Hi, so I had a look at what the gearbox looked like and it sadly doesn't look like that. But I do have an image of that gearbox. Would you be able to make any special orders if I find the specific part i am after? If you're only able to get the gearbox that is equally fine as it will be working.

Screenshot_20240119_102651_Chrome.jpg

• Supporters
12 hours ago, Marauder211 said:

I have a VZ58M long version that I bought as a bonyard project and needs a mosfet replacement, thing is Ares being Ares they love proprietary stuff and I can't find their mosfets anywhere in the uk, the Czech sites I have visited all don't shop to the UK so I am wondering this: would and V3 gearbox be it Ares or any other brand work in this gun? Or am I just out of luck? If I can't get it working that sucks but it was a freebie along with a compact VZ58 that works.

Thanks in advance.

As has been mentioned above, get in touch with them directly https://www.eshop-aresairsoft.com/index.php?route=information/contact

They've always been very helpful when I've bought stuff direct!

Guest Marauder211
11 minutes ago, Lozart said:

As has been mentioned above, get in touch with them directly https://www.eshop-aresairsoft.com/index.php?route=information/contact

They've always been very helpful when I've bought stuff direct!

Third time's a charm. I am going direct with their email this time. Btw, I got my M4 back and it fires like an Uzi, it's a beast, feeding issues are all sorted too!

Edited by Marauder211

People who still buy Ares deserve the horrible experience they get.

Change my mind

Guest Marauder211
1 hour ago, Skara said:

People who still buy Ares deserve the horrible experience they get.

Change my mind

They were second hand

My Flat mate has got two sadly expensive piles of scrap because Ares don't sell the parts despite both guns are still in production. 

I mean, every Ares out of the box needs, as a bare minimum to keep the gun going for *at least* 6 months:

New bushings,

New piston body,

New o-rings,

New nozzle,

New tappet plate,

New hop rubber.

That's out of the box, no matter what gun or gearbox version it is.

Once you do these things you still have a gun with proprietary parts that can't really be modified without spending way too much.

Back on topic, I did ask Ares about something a while ago and it took ages for them to respond, but at that point I had already sold the gun.

Guest Marauder211

Worst part is I can't disagree that Ares are a pretty bad at worst and hit or miss at best, I've started calling them Arse because of it. Don't get me started on the proprietary crap. If I could turn back time I would've saved my money and gone for the CM16 from G&G, you have upgradability and durability too.

BUT the compact VZ58 I have is gun to shoot, and I bought it along with the long one (which I see as a freebie as it was boneyard and I knew that going into the perchase). I got 2 guns valued at around £350 for £200 for both

@Marauder211 tried to message you on FB but I think you've got some security on your account which prevents me..I've got a feeling the ZCI v3 uses the same shitty ETU board.  That being said it's so hard getting individual parts sent over.  I don't even deal much with ZCI anymore, went downhill when they got bought out by a bigger firm.

Need someone in the UK airsoft scene like StezStix Fix 🙂

image.jpeg.5cb207dc150ae8fbd301e98c93731f61.jpeg

Guest Marauder211
14 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

@Marauder211 tried to message you on FB but I think you've got some security on your account which prevents me..I've got a feeling the ZCI v3 uses the same shitty ETU board.  That being said it's so hard getting individual parts sent over.  I don't even deal much with ZCI anymore, went downhill when they got bought out by a bigger firm.

Need someone in the UK airsoft scene like StezStix Fix 🙂

image.jpeg.5cb207dc150ae8fbd301e98c93731f61.jpeg

It's a shame that we can't just design an ETU board that is compatible and more durable

8 hours ago, Hudson said:

Is there that much dimensional difference? Or can one bodge a regular v3 with a dremel, a file and a drill?

30 minutes ago, Marauder211 said:

It's a shame that we can't just design an ETU board that is compatible and more durable

It's pointless really, would cost quite a bit in time and money and will just encourage Ares to make more proprietary parts!   @Skara has the better idea, try to make a standard V3 fit

Guest Marauder211
18 minutes ago, Skara said:

Is there that much dimensional difference? Or can one bodge a regular v3 with a dremel, a file and a drill?

It's a worthy experiment, I could talk to RAT about it, design wise the VZ58 mimics the AK 

Guest Marauder211
2 hours ago, Skara said:

I mean, every Ares out of the box needs, as a bare minimum to keep the gun going for *at least* 6 months:

New bushings,

New piston body,

New o-rings,

New nozzle,

New tappet plate,

New hop rubber.

Once you do these things you still have a gun with proprietary parts that can't really be modified without spending way too much.

Back on topic, I did ask Ares about something a while ago and it took ages for them to respond, but at that point I had already sold the gun.

Yeah, that happened to my gun, the bushings rounded out and caused the original to cease up, really annoying, I anagram Ares to Arse, they're not worth it but like I said, the compact 58 works well for now, my Classic Army on the other hand, is the most reliable gun I own.

1 hour ago, Skara said:

On the topic, with Ares being Arse they would likely have something like a body pin position be different to prevent that

4 hours ago, Skara said:

New bushings,

New piston body,

New o-rings,

New nozzle,

New tappet plate,

New hop rubber.

Not wanting to jinx myself, I've been lucky enough with my VZ58s to get away with just a bucking and barrel change for most of the 7+ years I've had them.

The ETU is where I've had issues unfortunately!

3 hours ago, Skara said:

I think it would be beyond that unfortunately.

IIRC, the cylinder head and nozzle sit much lower than they do on normal gearboxes, and the motor attachment is more akin to a V2, where you screw the grip directly into the gearbox shell, rather than having a motor cage.

I'll try to dig out one of my spare gearboxes and get some photos.

Photos of a V3 and two VZ58 boxes, with and without the trigger board & motor guide.

20240119_183843.JPG

20240119_183909.JPG

20240119_183935.JPG

20240119_183958.JPG

Guest Marauder211
1 hour ago, Hudson said:

Not wanting to jinx myself, I've been lucky enough with my VZ58s to get away with just a bucking and barrel change for most of the 7+ years I've had them.

The ETU is where I've had issues unfortunately!

I think it would be beyond that unfortunately.

IIRC, the cylinder head and nozzle sit much lower than they do on normal gearboxes, and the motor attachment is more akin to a V2, where you screw the grip directly into the gearbox shell, rather than having a motor cage.

I'll try to dig out one of my spare gearboxes and get some photos.

Photos of a V3 and two VZ58 boxes, with and without the trigger board & motor guide.

20240119_183843.JPG

20240119_183909.JPG

20240119_183935.JPG

20240119_183958.JPG

A cheeky request: do you have any working VZ58 gearboxes lying around that you'd be willing to part ways with? I don't mind if it doesn't have a mosfet since I only plan on running 7.4v anyways. 

2 hours ago, Marauder211 said:

A cheeky request: do you have any working VZ58 gearboxes lying around that you'd be willing to part ways with? I don't mind if it doesn't have a mosfet since I only plan on running 7.4v anyways. 

Message me tomorrow with what you need and I'll see what I have.

• 1 month later...
Guest Marauder211

The issue has been resolved (for a tenner!)

Basically there was something on the trigger contacts that prevented the current from circulating, the mosfet is fine, meaning I now have 5 working guns. Just a matter of waiting for the ironsights to be fixed.

• Guest changed the title to Question for any experienced gun techs (RESOLVED)