Giving a RIF as a gift?

emilianoksa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If I wanted to give an airsoft pistol to one of my children - all of whom are middle aged adults by the way - none of whom have ever skirmished, would this be completely legal?

I emphasise this would be a gift and not a sale.

In the unlikely event that the gun eventually ended up in the hands of somebody unkown to me, who used it irresponsibly eg. showed it in public, would I as the original owner be liable?

I think you would be ok giving it as a gift👍just tell them to be careful where and how they use it.

If I gave a set of kitchen knives as a Christmas present to someone and subsequently another party got hold of one and was stupid with it I don't think the plod would be knocking on my door🤔at least I would hope not ☹️

• Supporters
51 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

If I wanted to give an airsoft pistol to one of my children - all of whom are middle aged adults by the way - none of whom have ever skirmished, would this be completely legal?

In the unlikely event that the gun eventually ended up in the hands of somebody unkown to me, who used it irresponsibly eg. showed it in public, would I as the original owner be liable?

Totally fine.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

Is this a pre-curser to you getting the "kids" to start playing with the old man ? 

👍

6 hours ago, emilianoksa said:

The legal requirement under the VCRA covers the manufacture, import and sale of RIFs …… and that the purpose is for one of specified reasons (defences) - airsoft skirmishing, re-enactment, film and stage etc ….. with relevant insurance in suitable venues etc

There is also the requirement to be aged 18 or older - (hence UKARA linked site memeberships are valid from age 18, but could begin the qualifying game period earlier depending on the site policy)

A (reputable) retailer wants to see some form of ‘evidence’ of meeting the VCRA defences, and won’t sell IFs or RIFs to under 18s

’Gifting’ (with no form of remuneration / ‘contract consideration - eg if a recipients gift is reliant on doing jobs around the house then that can be legally qualified as the payment, rendering it a sale rather than a gift)

If the buyer purchases with the intent of gifting, but not for the purposes of the recipient playing at an airsoft site etc (even if the buyer has UKARA etc) then technically the sale was illegal, but the retailer would be safe from prosecution if they ‘reasonably’ checked the buyers defence 

……………..

Hence the follow up hint posts, that the RIF is being gifted with accompanying equipment  —— and also the morality side of wondering why ask about gifting to adults who have never played airsoft 

If they have just not played to date and are about to begin then giving them a RIF let’s them start fully equipped 

As adults they could of course buy their own extra equipment as there aren’t VCRA restrictions on them 

Hi, I asked a friend who is in the PSNI. I to have bought lots of rifs and gifted them to my son. I was told that the ukara is for purchase only so that it doesn't have to be two toned, registered to a name,Its basically there to protect the retailer so they are liable for illegal sales,etc, now i know gun laws are different over her in Northern Ireland. As long as it's only used at a game or on private land with the owners permission, it's fine. There has been loads of swap and sells at local airsoft fields and if 2 responsible adults wish to swap or sell to each other then they don't need to see or even ask for their UKARA. As I said our laws are more restricted over here as we're restricted to 1 joule but there is a shop I go to in Dundalk Ireland and they don't even require a ukara to buy at store or even online. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.