The GBBR Pendulum

TheFull9

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Just a recent trend I think is interesting, I'd like to hear if others have twigged it/think the same.

If I recall correctly, it was around 10-12 years ago when the KJW GBB M4 came out and that was the first gas-in-mag assault rifle style airsoft gun ever.. or at least in a long time/actually practical, affordable, available and quite reliable.  Then very shortly after there was the Western Arms GBB M4s (plastic body?) and G&P WOCs, plus the WE 'closed bolt' system within very short order.  Plus of course some budget priced clones of the above.  Then it wasn't too long before the first GHK guns if I recall, but those first 3 were definitely all hot on each others' heels and all the 'softers were pitching tents and drawing battle lines on which system was like totally the bestest one.

After a couple of years that hype very much died down.  There was the WE open bolt AR, the KWA system sprung up and then died down alongside the WA and KJW systems also dying off in terms of popularity and availability.  I'd say from roughly 2014-2021 (big ish) there was a lull.  The MWS is obviously king now, but it didn't start that way, or at least it didn't seem like that to me?  I don't know when it first released but it was definitely a few years back and you didn't see all that much support for it initially, but now it's possibly the most highly serviced platform in the game (aside the AR AEG) in terms of aftermarket parts, receivers, accessory sets etc with various base models from TM in production and a few chinese clones.  Or if not in 2nd place then definitely up there and definitely enjoying way more popularity than any GBBR did for many years prior to 2022.

I've not touched and MWS but presumably they work decently all year round else they wouldn't sell here in the UK, probably overall quite a bit more reliable than those old systems and once the word spread on that it really revamped interest in these types of RIFs.

I have no actual dog in the fight or a point here in general, I really like all the main archetypes: some spring guns, AEGs, EBB/NGRS and GBBRs all for different reasons.. just not modern HPAs obviously 🤮

When I was in Tokyo last, I wandered into a nondescript airsoft shop in Akiba. 5 minutes and I released the entire shop was dedicated to the MWS system. I suspect its popularity in the Japanese domestic market is the reason why MWS has such a variety of aftermarket parts.

• Supporters
24 minutes ago, Herrgh said:

I suspect its popularity in the Japanese domestic market is the reason why MWS has such a variety of aftermarket parts.

Winters in Japan get pretty cold so it's no surprise that the gas system that performs best in the lower temps was developed in (and for) Japan.

Japanese industry is also very insular so they will prefer to manufacture for and with other Japanese companies.

Competition helps.

VFC, GHK and WE were pretty much the only GBBR's in modern form for a good while. They could dictate what was good enough to get by. Then TM comes along and plants it's flag in the ground, and became the yard stick.

Other companies seeing what happened with the release of the VSR10 and Hi capa (i.e. pretty much making every other design in that product space obsolete overnight) have to step up. VFC come out with the mk3 versions of GBBRs as well as the m249 and vector, and know that they can't do their usual thing of let things slide for a few production batches and fix it later.

GHK come out with a new glock but also shit the bed on the ARs. WE are doing things, not all great, but still things.

Meanwhile TM are happy to make a basic but effective GBBR and re-release it in a different colour every 9 months and print money in the process, knowing that the aftermarket parts cover for any minor flaws they have.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, rj1986 said:

Meanwhile TM are happy to make a basic but effective GBBR and re-release it in a different colour every 9 months and print money in the process, knowing that the aftermarket parts cover for any minor flaws they have.

That's the thing though isn't it. They took their time, designed a system that actually works and released it when they were ready. All the aftermarket "fixes" are to improve performance in countries OUTSIDE of Japan (other than the obvious cosmetic ones of course) because they work just fine for their market. All the while that airsofters are happy to buy endless iterations of an M4, they're happy to keep churning them out, and quite honestly - who can blame them?

19 minutes ago, rj1986 said:

People always say "I would love a v8, with a manual gear box, RWD and being built by a British manufacturer."

Sounds like you could be describing TVR 😂

Pity they were only worth something after the company went bust 

And as reliable as “BB gnuz for less” cust service 

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Sounds like you could be describing TVR 😂

Pity they were only worth something after the company went bust 

And as reliable as “BB gnuz for less” cust service 

Yeah, but fuck me they were fun to drive.

The best description I ever heard of a TVR was "they're like a kit car, but in reverse" because they disassemble themselves around you.

45 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Yeah, but fuck me they were fun to drive.

The best description I ever heard of a TVR was "they're like a kit car, but in reverse" because they disassemble themselves around you.

I wished I bought a Cerbera or similar when I could afford it

Truly awesome “ widowmaker” pieces of kit, but as you say , keeping them together is a passion of love. 
Sounds like some of my chums and their RIF’s 

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

I wished I bought a Cerbera or similar when I could afford it

Truly awesome “ widowmaker” pieces of kit, but as you say , keeping them together is a passion of love. 
Sounds like some of my chums and their RIF’s 

My best friend had a 4.5l V8 Cerbera. Hilariously good fun to drive (he was mental enough to let me drive it). First thing the starter motor died and the bell housing seal went (apparently a known issue that one). Then the electrics died because they were all in ABS project boxes under the rear window (which leaks) and just got full of water. Then the rear suspension collapsed. Three times. The third time, the drive shaft broke as well. After having it for about 2 years he decided enough was enough and chopped it in for a Dodge Viper. When they test drove it before taking it as a trade in it was good job they never got it out of first gear because the mesh in third just didn't work. Looked amazing though and was fast AS FUCK!

I've never been interested in vintage cars with the possible exception of a red Triumph Stag (covetted one I saw regularly in Arboath when I was a teen), now vintage motorbikes are another thing... following a lottery win I'd be after several to start a collection...

Yamaha RD350LC YPVS (was offered one when I was 17 & I said no, always regretted that day)

Kawasaki AR125

Honda CBX

Suzuki GSX1100S Katana

etc...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.